Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Information request from owners of Spintech Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Information request from owners of Spintech Mufflers

Ok,

I want to know all there is to know about these mufflers. I've heard from 2 people and the sound clip sounds pretty good. Not too sure about the sound seeing as though it sounds like an outboard boat motor and I don't want much resonance in the car at all. I want to know the performance aspect of it. Is it restrictive or wide open? Is it comporable to the 40 series flowmaster with delta flow technology?

Please give me PROS and CONS and any picks of how you have it installed under your car and all that.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It's just about the least restrictive muffler you can buy. Any other muffler company offering a product that works with convex/concave baffles instead of packing is licensing or "borrowing" SpinTech's design. May as well go with the pioneers.

The sound is unobtrusive. I sometimes feel that the sound level is a little low for my liking-- I'm used to a bit more volume-- but an hour or two on the freeway reminds me that the note is just perfect. Virtually no exhaust tone when cruising @ 75-80mph.

I've since added an uncompressed clip to Putlfile, after hearing how tinny the MPEG4 on Photobucket sounded (Photobucket actually compresses a file even further after upload).

Click here to watch SpinTech-Pro-Street-clip

You can see the config and mounting of mine in the vid. Got the muffler up as high as possible, two mandrel bends leading into it, welded on the stock tip and turn (scavenged from the OEM muffler).

edit: the last two revs in the vid are to redline, so that's as loud as it gets (unloaded). Obviously, the tone is even deeper when the car is moving.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, air moves in a way that's not intuitive. From what little I've learned in class, I think the shapes of baffles in the Spintech are less restrictive than the Delta Flow technology.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a specific online ordering website or do you have to go to speed shops who are dealers? I was looking at the 3331 model. 2.5 in/out to be the same as my aftermarket piping. I think it was around 90$ or so? What type do you have on yours Dr. Isotope? I want something that you really wouldn't hear at all unless I'm hauling on the highway.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

GoFastParts (where I bought mine) now has their storefront through Amazon.com. The 3331 is the Sportsman, which is a good pick for a full exhaust-- that's what I had on my Honda. I use the 6221 Pro Street on the tC, but I only built an axleback.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great. Yeah, I have the full exhaust so hopefully the 3331 will be a good pick. I have a dealer about 15 minutes from my house so I'm having him call me and give me a price from them. Then, if it's high, I will just order from Amazon.