Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

intake, headers, exhaust and low-end torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default intake, headers, exhaust and low-end torque

Hey guys...

I love my tC, but I'm always looking for improvements... I understand some of the basic concepts behind I/H/E, and here is what I have determined thus far:
  • Any intake system (SRI, CAI) will lean out your mixture at the low-end, resulting in a loss of torque and HP.
  • Headers make a louder, cleaner system, but you may have some high-end "rasp"
  • An exhaust upgrade can improve high-end but runs a SMALL risk of losing low-end, unless matched with a proper header / cat / S-pipe.
  • Forced induction only improves high-end and may stress internals.
What I am looking for is something I can stick on my tC that will preserve or increase low-end power and give me a throatier, louder, cleaner rumble than stock. I won't be taking my car to a track, more of a daily driver, but I want to focus on the power end of it first... I'd rather my car be a sleeper than a ricer.

Having those goals in mind, it is my belief that a short-ram intake, header, and exhaust system should be installed simultaneously, as the intake will give high-end power gains while the header and exhaust will preserve the low-end power in addition to opening up the high-end even more.

Thoughts? Musings? Rotten tomatoes?

Thanks,
Ryan S.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess you're just looking to get the BEST for your tC... but I dont blame u.... just get whatevers man... Chip it... and then ur cool.... I did it...and no one with the same setup can beat me... chipping ur ECU does alot...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you get this "chip?"
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

putting on performance parts technically doesnt make you LOSE anything. you jus gian more in certain areas.

you shouldnt have to worry. our cams work best at low end power. so gaining upper end power is great or almost perfect.

it seems lik you want sound more than performance. if so. save your self some money and jus get an axle back exhaust.

if you are worried about performane. sometimes sound is sacrificed. but you can proby find the balance somewhere in between.

I H E is suffcient power for a DD. jus get everything I H E
Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

chip? uhhh...yeah, so don't listen to that. he doesn't have it in his profile, nor does he offer any proof. As far as I know you cannot chip this ECU.

Intake Header and Exhaust are fine, and you should not have any significant loss in low end as long as you don't put a 3" exhaust on there. When the exhaust is that big, the velocity of the exhaust gases drops causing the exhaust gases to cool too quickly. When this happens, you are not flowing the exhaust gases out fast enough at low rpms for the engine to be efficient. It kind of chockes itself as the engine is not powerful enough to push them out fast enough.

So stick with 2.5" max for the exhaust, get any intake, and as for a header...well the choice is yours. I won't get one as they all throw CEL.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC

So stick with 2.5" max for the exhaust, get any intake, and as for a header...well the choice is yours. I won't get one as they all throw CEL.
I have the anti fouler mod with NO CEL on my alphawerks. Most people dont have the problem either. Usually the CELs are caused when the O2 sensor is damaged upon removal.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry not to mean "chip"... but to tune the car... its been running lean a while ago thats why... more air going in....with more flow... LEan as F*&K.... so I tuned it @ my homies shop... 150/hr.... its waaayyy worth it....
"D-P" you wanna check it out... hit me up... we'll meet up sometime..
Old 10-31-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now when you say "tune", I assume you're talking about using an eManage or some type of piggyback since the tC's ECU is, at this point, unhackable.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

honestly s/c for that extra ump and header, s-pipe, and full exhaust
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: intake, headers, exhaust and low-end torque

Originally Posted by Ryan99FL
Hey guys...

I love my tC, but I'm always looking for improvements... I understand some of the basic concepts behind I/H/E, and here is what I have determined thus far:
  • Any intake system (SRI, CAI) will lean out your mixture at the low-end, resulting in a loss of torque and HP.
  • Headers make a louder, cleaner system, but you may have some high-end "rasp"
  • An exhaust upgrade can improve high-end but runs a SMALL risk of losing low-end, unless matched with a proper header / cat / S-pipe.
  • Forced induction only improves high-end and may stress internals.
What I am looking for is something I can stick on my tC that will preserve or increase low-end power and give me a throatier, louder, cleaner rumble than stock. I won't be taking my car to a track, more of a daily driver, but I want to focus on the power end of it first... I'd rather my car be a sleeper than a ricer.

Having those goals in mind, it is my belief that a short-ram intake, header, and exhaust system should be installed simultaneously, as the intake will give high-end power gains while the header and exhaust will preserve the low-end power in addition to opening up the high-end even more.

Thoughts? Musings? Rotten tomatoes?

Thanks,
Ryan S.
Corrections:
1. 4-2-1 header will improve low-to-mid range more than high rpm range.
2. 4-1 is for high rpm gains. you will lose tq and hp on the low end with this install.
3. Intake alone will gain you 2-6hp without any loss of hp or tq.
4. Turbocharger is for top end.
5. Supercharger is for low and high.
6. Therefore, not all forced induction is for top rpm range.
7. Exhaust depends on the size of the piping used to determine power gains and loss of low end. That, and if its a axle or cat back. Or full custom.

My advice:
1. CAI
2. 4-2-1 header
3. Cat back.

You may lose 1-2whp in the low end, but nothing noticeable really.

Take care.
Cya
Old 10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A turbo for top end huh... Most turbos will be at full boost by 3k which I think most people consider mid end. Spool starts pretty quick on a turbo tC while the s/c doesn't really reaching full boost at 4k rpm (so some say.) So in this case, s/c is for high end while turbo for mid and high.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
Scion Dynasty
SL Member
Premium Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

killerxromances, in regards to exhaust, am I correct to assume that a by using a catback system, you retain the current low-end because of the backpressure provided by the factory cat?

Also, when changing headers, should you also install a matched cat to prevent your cat from eventually smelling of rotten eggs?

What is the comparison of low-band torque/hp between CAI and super?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok to help you a bit... you have one cat on your header (stock) and one cat after the s-pipe.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
A turbo for top end huh... Most turbos will be at full boost by 3k which I think most people consider mid end. Spool starts pretty quick on a turbo tC while the s/c doesn't really reaching full boost at 4k rpm (so some say.) So in this case, s/c is for high end while turbo for mid and high.
What type of s/c is the trd? Most spool up around 2k and turbos do have full boost in mid range, however its mid-to-high rpm not low-to-mid. Thats what i meant to say. Different motors respond differently to f/i, so i can only speak of my own experience.

Cya
Old 11-01-2005, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Now when you say "tune", I assume you're talking about using an eManage or some type of piggyback since the tC's ECU is, at this point, unhackable.
HOnestly I just learned alil bit of the electronics... my homie took it to his shop and tuned it just like he did to his evo (No not meaning..he tuned it to evo specs) they used a dyno.... I feel a big difference... When I see him around again I'll ask if it was the Ecu/Piggyback or whatever...
Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD is a centrifugal. A huge one at that. It does start to spool basically close to immediately (I extrapolated such from the dyno but it's hard to tell when the dynos start at 3k rpm) but full boost doesn't appear until late.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiknesS
Originally Posted by jmiller20874
HOnestly I just learned alil bit of the electronics... my homie took it to his shop and tuned it just like he did to his evo (No not meaning..he tuned it to evo specs) they used a dyno.... I feel a big difference... When I see him around again I'll ask if it was the Ecu/Piggyback or whatever...

oooo i wanna know what that guy did to tune your car up..........
Old 11-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

Would a Camcon make up for the low end power loss ?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Camcon is bleh. Looks hideous, and doesn't do anything a Greddy e manage won't do and more. Waste of money.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any recommendation on header - supercharger combination? Basically which type of header is better?

Quick Reply: intake, headers, exhaust and low-end torque