Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intake (no CEL on first install til present day LIST)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intake (no CEL on first install til present day LIST)

I was wondering who had it installed and has had not CEL from day 1 and today?

Please give me your INTAKE BRAND+Trans

Ok guys. i got my Injen intake yesterday (was so happy like a little kid during christmas and sh**).. wanted my friends to do it and help me but im off today... I want to learn about MY CAR so i built the courage to do it MYSELF today (FIRST TIMER!!!)

So first, THANKS SCIONLIFE,the users and that pictured INSTALL write up by GammaTNT for the injen.. that is a great tutorial.. sticky worthy... it makes me wish we have a SECTION (i.e "Natural Aspiration") for 'How to uninstall/reinstall (parts on tC)'

Anyways that write up was great. It helped me out... things missing on that tutorial was the STOCK pipe goin down the wheel (connect to stock air box) there was a second screw in the bottom of it only because i never removed my bumper/etc (im going SRI), i said F it. i just popped it out with a screwdriver.and maybe a side tip to remove the engine cover for better access to that clamp down the engine..

So after install....

double/triple checked the clamps on the engine area. Made the clamps located in the engine area (2 clamps) and the head filter (1 clamp) as tight as i can..

The 2 screws for the SENSOR::::
It is hard to screw back on! I kinda put some motor oil (very little on the screw to maybe ease it up).. it went in and tried my best to drill it in (was starting to loose the GEARING of the screw).. the only concern i have is when i press down the sensor and pipe.. theres like a very tiny GAP between the sensor and the pipe..even if the screw is already tight!. you can press the sensor and u can see that tiny gap close!!! (this is my #1 concern at the moment, CEL potential??)

After that i hooked up the battery (positive first then Negative last).

i then started my car for 10 minutes... while i was outside i kinda just blowed air on the air filter and the car had some sort of a reponse (almost idle like) 3 mins later.. i turn off the car... then started the car again.. this time while i wait i reset my windows and clock... 2 mins later i rev.... 1 min later turn off car... 1 min later i turned on the car for a test drive.

SOUNDS AWESOME.. it sounds stock just pulling in... i kinda know how to make it whistle! 2,500 i start hearing it..disappears in like 3,200 but comes back again at 3,500.. if im flying 80 then slowly lower the gas pedal the whistle is there!

I did NOT get a CEL light... my car is NOT shaking!!!! none of that i have read people talke about like the " 200 miles was shaky then when i got 300 miles on my intake it was smooth"....IM HAPPY but a bit worried because its my first time i installed... i took my SWEET TIME.. i did not rush and it was like a 1 1/2 - 2 hour install for me.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed SRI when I got my Injen too, it was too cold so I said F it. The only thing I didnt like about the SRI is that it vibrates all through the interior and it very loud. Then I saw GSC's Dyno thread and found they gained 5hp by putting on the cold pipe. Now its perfect, not to loud but you konw its there, and my interior doesnt vibrate.

NO CEL for me either.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply zer0. I might consider going CAI... ONLY if someone on this forum provide more topics about a legit BYPASS valve.. i read up and heard that AEM 3'' bypass will not fit.. i want that bypass but right now i dont know which one will work.. and i dont want to chance it.. i work and on a island.. so if its a rainy morning and i have work.. i wont be able to convert the CAI to SRI (too much hassle)..
Old 12-23-2005, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i have run mine in the wet with the cai with the grill in front cut out and my filter wasn't even wet. don't go puddle splashing and you should be fine. I think i saw someone on here that did adapt a bypass to the injen intake, i can't remember where.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nemesis --

Nope im not lowered.. but it floods in my area.. stock height cars break because water gets in the exhause (mainly cars, not SUVs).

so thats what im worried about.. 5HP is something i gotta consider.. but i'll think about it.. im thinking of a way to remove more heat under the hood while moving.. thinking about hood scoop or something like that.. but eh thats a LONG SHOT very long!

just looking back at this post.. and i saw something funny i wanna share with both of you..
Old 12-23-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I've had an Injen CAI, since the day they were released and have not had a single issue with it... Awesome product and I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the CAI... if you look on where the Filter is in regards to the bumper, it's pretty tucked away in there... if you go through puddles big enough to mess with it, you'd have other problems as well...
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the injen cai , and its currently set up at cai.. ive had it for about 5 k miles, and no cel... i wouldnt worry too much about by pass valve unless u live in a flood zone.. so yea
Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen CAI since June 05' - Gone through wet conditions just like "WeDRiveScions" said. No problems @ All so far! It will be gone this coming summer (FI Plans).
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've had the injen sram no problems except for the filter rubbing (which put a small hole in it). i know have a smaller filter and no rubbing either. 15,000 miles since september and no problem.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lookin good w/ the black intake, i have the same one =D

i bought and installed my injen piece at 420 miles. i'm at like 52xx miles right now, and i converted to the CAI at around 47xx miles. auto tranny, if that matters. no CEL ever either.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes me really wanna try CAI...

question someone said this

two things...
1. you don't need to remove the front bumper, just the right front wheel and plastic fender underneath
2. yes, that second pipe is a b!&^h.... easy to have one guy pull at the top as someone is pushing/wiggling from the bottom where you are putting it through. and protect it with tape or something or that thing WILL get scratched..

QUESTION::::::
So just by removing those portions we can install the second pipe.. HOW ABOUT the head... should it be preinstalled before we make the first/second pipe meet?

Since i have my SRI>.. should i still uninstall the SENSOR or should i just disconnect batts and install second pipe?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:16 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Immune
question someone said this

two things...
1. you don't need to remove the front bumper, just the right front wheel and plastic fender underneath
2. yes, that second pipe is a b!&^h.... easy to have one guy pull at the top as someone is pushing/wiggling from the bottom where you are putting it through. and protect it with tape or something or that thing WILL get scratched..
I said that
Originally Posted by Immune
QUESTION::::::
So just by removing those portions we can install the second pipe.. HOW ABOUT the head... should it be preinstalled before we make the first/second pipe meet?

Since i have my SRI>.. should i still uninstall the SENSOR or should i just disconnect batts and install second pipe?
what do you mean by the "head"? the filter? it's easier to wiggle the pipe in first without it on... and then connect everything once it's through.
you don't need to remove the sensor since it's already there... but i would disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.

another word of advice on the second pipe... it's like a puzzle.. it'll only go in one way. if you wiggle, get frustrated, and try to force it.. it'll just make things worse.. (believe me.. my first install was on my car and scratches is only the beginning of what happened ) just keep manipulating the pipe and hopefully it'll slide through smoothly.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AHA! so you do read the forum NICE MAN!

i time im gonna lift my pipe.. someone said wrap it in towel.. i will do that
Old 12-25-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the CAI nd pipe is NO PROBLEM!!! after i removed the groundwire out.. and placed that rubber thing. the second pipe went right in!!!!!!!

Below here is the pipe without the head...

QUESTION::::
WHAT DO YOU THINK if i remove this portion of the bumper? good or bad? RAIN?? WATER??
Old 12-25-2005, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm no expert, but depending on if you get tons of rain/puddles etc... you are more at a risk of "Hydrolocking" (Tons of info if you do a search here) that is why the filter sits so high up and when Injen R&D this CAI they knew full well that that portion of the grille blocks water from coming in. I know more will chime in on this.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I took the little "Grille" thing off to make a little "Ram Air" sorta setup for the CAI... I haven't had any problems whatsoever... The intake sits higher by a couple inches that the little grille section, so and water that would "Splash Up" wouldn't even make it to the filter.... just don't go plowing into 2 foot pools of water and you should be good to go!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know if i got a hearing problem..

but CAI sounds different from SRI!!!

the whistle comes at LOWER RPM... the pull at low end is a very SMALL difference i rarely feel.

And the CAR GROWLS deeper and i think u can hear it more at lower RPM than SRI??

And at high RPM it doesnt SCREAMO so much like the tea kettle blowing (SRI)... with CAI the sound gradually just gets louder.

I think im in love.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Welcome to the CAI Club!

Hydrolocks here we come!!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got the cai on two days ago and ive heard people on the forum say that i shouldnt be too worried about hydrolocking but its still making me very very nervous
Old 12-25-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Haven't had a hydrolock yet with a tC that I've heard of, and once you've installed you CAI, you'll be able to see how hard it'd be to get even close to enough water up there to suck in any...

Rest Easy and don't drive through lakes and you'll be fine!

Quick Reply: Intake (no CEL on first install til present day LIST)