Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

invidia downpipe problem: neeed help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default invidia downpipe problem: neeed help

Hello sorry guys if this has been posted up. but ive really searched and couldnt find anything. Just this morning i installed the Inividia Downpipe and the Tsudo midpipes and i finished it with the OEM axleback. since i dont have money for the tanabe i wanted. The install was fairly easy and im pretty sure i did not ____ up the sensor. The problem is , Whenever i start my car, The pipes rumble and shake pretty bad. And I hear very loud clanking sounds, more like metal to metal hitting. The pipes shake so bad it actually shakes the whole car. Really feels like the pipes might fall off one day. Now i can feel the shaking most around my leg area? maybe around the shifter area. So im assuming thats where the downpipe connects to the midpipe. Now i look under , it looks fine. Also when the car warms up the shaking and loud clankin noise dies down, but itz still there.

Now what im asking is, is this normal? is this normal for the exhaust break-in to shake this horribly?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a similar issue, but i found my problem was that the O2 sensor on the s-pipe kept coming loose. i've tightened it and so far haven't had any problems for the past 3 or 4 months. *knockin on wood*

i would check everything and make sure things are tightened.

did you use the gaskets the the Invidia s-pipe comes with?
does the sound get louder whenever you drive your car (compared to idle)?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok the thing with the sensor , as i tighten the sensor onto the downpipe , the whole sensor turns too. for example as i tighten the sensor, the wires n stuff turn with the sensor itself, so itz actually twisting the whole sensor. is that normal? And yes i made sure tightened everything. i used the gaskets that came with the invidia not the tsudo one. The terrible shaking actually does not get louder as u drive. It softens wen i drive and the car warmed up . Itz when i first start the car , Especially wen itz just starteed, as in not warmed up yet.

Thansk for the help tuff cookie
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ANy1 else kno wats wrong? or has a setup like mine. Invidia to tsudo midpipe. Im sure alot of people have this. Plus i have work tomorow , im hoping to get this fixed today.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok Me and my friend just came back from lookin it over. And for those of you with an 07 so to say about to install a tsudo. U may or may not get this rattling. But if you do it is fromt he heatshield. the heatshield has a screw sticking out that holds it to the car. Now the tsudo midpipe is mounted pretty high against the car so the screw rubs on the midpipe resonator part. Iono if this may rub a hole in it or not but that is definitely where its coming from.

So i was just wondering if any1 else has this problem or if any can throw some input for me . Also the fitment of the midpipe to the axleback is not very good so maybe thats y. So to change the topic it is not the downpipe causing the problem. Itz the midpipe being pushed up against the heatshield.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sup tony.. did you re-install that black metal piece that supports the midpipe? if you did, maybe that is whats causing the metal-to-metal sound, as i experienced that sound as well with my install.

now, i notice that the heatshield is rattling underneath my car whenever im coming to a stop.. imma check out the problem when i have time..
Old 08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
ok Me and my friend just came back from lookin it over. And for those of you with an 07 so to say about to install a tsudo. U may or may not get this rattling. But if you do it is fromt he heatshield. the heatshield has a screw sticking out that holds it to the car. Now the tsudo midpipe is mounted pretty high against the car so the screw rubs on the midpipe resonator part. Iono if this may rub a hole in it or not but that is definitely where its coming from.

So i was just wondering if any1 else has this problem or if any can throw some input for me . Also the fitment of the midpipe to the axleback is not very good so maybe thats y. So to change the topic it is not the downpipe causing the problem. Itz the midpipe being pushed up against the heatshield.
Yes thats exactly whats happening, the tsudo mid-pipes hit this lil bolt and make all kinds of rattling. and may punch a hole through the pipe or resonator.
your best bet is to take a dremmel tool with a grinding or cutting bit and shave the bolt fluch with the nut.

even so it may still hit, at this point you may want to get some longer rubber hangers, the ones for chevy's that look like this (o = o).

your last option would be to take a small cold chisel and hammer and bend the bracket that holds the shield(bolt n nut 2) "flush" it will go from this "]" to this "l"

err...you know what i mean...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

O thank you for responding guys , especially Spot. Ive been tryign to contact you dude. Everytime i drive my car to work itz pretty annoying lol. It feels good to actually know that people understand what im trying to explain lol. and Mugetsu do you really think it will drill a hole into it? The main screw that causes the rattling is right at the resonator. Yeah hopefully bending the tsudo hanger will stop it. Since the tsudo hangs toootooo close to the car which leads to this.

Now what im saying is that how come this hasnt been discussed before? Am i just an unlucky one? are the 07's heatshield screws longer? Also mugetsu do you really think it will drilll a hole into it? Also spot i did reinstall the black metal peice. It goes straight across the midpipe from under it. And itz held by bolts am i correct? Hmmm any suggestionms guys? maybe if i stick some kind of cushion on the screw. But that would of course melt away huh. And im still wondering where are all the other tsudo midpipe owners? are you guys experiencing this? im sure thers an easier fix. Also i had to push the midpipe up as in close to the car to make it straight to fit the oem axleback. Maybe thats why. Hopefully the tanabe wont have this problem.

-Thanks again guys. Take care Spot
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeha the Tsudo N1 cat back isn't a "perfect" fit, you gotta mess with it a lil.

I think its luck of the draw to get one that doesn't have a few fitment/clearance issues...I know at least 4 other people who have the same probs with it as you and I. BUT i also know about 4 that don't.

will it punch a hole through? no way of telling really, i guess it depends on how hard its rattling against the bolt, Tsudo isn't top quality stuff so i don't know how thick the walls of the pipes or rez are.

try the rubber hanger fix first, I know Autozone has them in the exhaust pipe section, they are about 4.99 a piece so for 2 thats 10$ that would be the easiest fix with no bending or cutting.
they are the ones for chevy's.

they look like this but the chevy ones a abit more and a lil longer.
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm thanks alot mugetsu, first ima just try to bend the hangers first, hopefully that will work, i dont wanna spend anymore money like at all right now.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My buddy has the Tsudo N1 midpipe on his tC and he encountered the same problem, and what it was, was actually the midpipe hitting the small metal bar that crosses over the midpipe near the resonator... (this is how I understood it)
Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

o the small metal bar? you talking about the black one that goes Under the midpipe? Well thanks alot mugetsu that peice actually isnt too much lol. I actually started the car wen cold. and actually layed down and pulled the mid pipe down toward the ground a bit and the rattling TOTALLY stopped so im hoping if it was that easy, I could just bend the hanger .
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BionicJuic3
My buddy has the Tsudo N1 midpipe on his tC and he encountered the same problem, and what it was, was actually the midpipe hitting the small metal bar that crosses over the midpipe near the resonator... (this is how I understood it)
that lil black bar is junk, i lost it the fist time i took of the stock mid-pipe

I'm 80% sure its the bolt that holds the heat shield...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mugetsu Thanks alot. Seriously though because as for my case it is the bolt that holds the heatshield. Like i said again, i had work this morning and as i started the car it rattled like crazy. Rattles so bad that it shakes the downpipe, and that is why i named this thread that name. (if only i knew how to change the topic name , i might get more readers) but anyway right wen i started the car i layed on my stomach, Streched my arm, And pulled the midpipe down , right where the resonator is. I could only pull it down about a couple cm's even very minimal since the rubber hanger is very small. but right when i pulled it down, The rattling, noise, shaking, went all away. Seriously gone. So for any1 that has this problem , thats wat it is. The midpipe is too high. Now hopefully i do not have to buy new hangers and wait for shipping this and that.... probably 2moro i will just try to bend the hangers so that it will let the midpipe sit lower.

Thanks alot mugetsu for the help and multiple choices i can take. Right now i do not have anythin that can cut metal especially that small screw. i only have basic knives that i doubt will work.

-Tony.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok so if there is a sensor problem, then i would have a check engine light anyway right?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So i fixed it today. The tanabe medallion touring fixed the tsudo midpipes perfectly. Also i took a saw and cut the screw. And if i did it any1 can. I used some cheapo rusted very old and dull saw , yet it cut the screw. now there is no rattle. Thanks alot guys.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad to hear it.