Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Just my luck, i wanna get rid of my tC now

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just my luck, i wanna get rid of my tC now

Well few months ago i suffered from a hydrolocked engine which was roughly $7000 to repair... and now this.... No sign of overheating or anything, literally had the engine rebuilt 2 months ago, so i should still be under warranty but damn. (I did not touch anything engine wise or anything ever since the rebuild).

Is this coolant though? I called the dealer and they said I might need a new engine... again

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn. Maybe just a loose hose clamp? And why is your oxygen sensor unbolted?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
Damn. Maybe just a loose hose clamp? And why is your oxygen sensor unbolted?
Do not know honestly. Did not touch anything in the engine bay since it was rebuilt, and it was only like 2 months ago
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you where running without the O2 sensor you would have known that it was not running right and was considerably louder than it ought to be.

that does look like coolant and it looks like it might have come from the upper hose
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rrimportracer
if you where running without the O2 sensor you would have known that it was not running right and was considerably louder than it ought to be.

that does look like coolant and it looks like it might have come from the upper hose
I'm pretty sure the O2 sensor is on right, i drove the car from norcal to socal without a problem, i just came from LA to SD without a problem this weekend.

I don't think it has anything to do with the O2 sensor though. I'm asking a friend ans he's thinking it's the head gasket.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn dude you dont have insurance??? i hydro with stock intake which i still cant believe it happen and all i had to pay was my deductible and got a practally new engine 10k miles on it. and i think thats just engine coolant the clamp might not be to tight. but i would take the car to the dealer who work on your engine and show them.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pwee08
damn dude you dont have insurance??? i hydro with stock intake which i still cant believe it happen and all i had to pay was my deductible and got a practally new engine 10k miles on it. and i think thats just engine coolant the clamp might not be to tight. but i would take the car to the dealer who work on your engine and show them.
I hyrolocked with a CAI, i knew i probably couldn't contest it. I'm under a 1 year insurance for my rebuilt motor and 7 year for my car in general, so I should be fine I hope.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My engine bay looks the same (Just not as bad), its a loose clamp that I should replace.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by O5_TRD_tC
My engine bay looks the same (Just not as bad), its a loose clamp that I should replace.
=[, its at the dealership now, should be under warranty, I think i'm trading in after this and getting my reventon =]
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off the 02 sensor isnt in the header second off the clamp is just loose buy a pair of dykes clip the old one off and put on a tbolt or worm clamp
Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
first off the 02 sensor isnt in the header second off the clamp is just loose buy a pair of dykes clip the old one off and put on a tbolt or worm clamp
Well the O2 sensor was never toucehd by me, dealer replaced it awhile ago, I don't know if its the regular denso one.

I don't know if buying new clamps would do anything right now b/c the car is knocking. It's just at the dealership, I don't want to deal with it b/c I have finals coming up. I'm still under warranty, so I don't wanna do anything that would take that away from me if it becomes an even bigger problem.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you guys were right. The O2 sensor was stripped somehow and it fell off, which caused the knocking and somthing about the manifold I forgot.

I think this is because when I had my hydrolocked engine, i had new O2 sensor put in, I told the dealer I would do it myself b/c they were going to charge me $500 for it. Than they agreed to just charge me $200 for the part and they'll do the labor for free. I'm assuming cause of that they half assed it. Just a guess...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

maybe the hot exhaust coming out of the o2 censon hole burned a hole in your radiator whose.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crazyedie19
maybe the hot exhaust coming out of the o2 censon hole burned a hole in your radiator whose.
plausible. They were saying that the person who last did my car probably over tightened and stripped it, something about the temperature as well. Mossy Scion is fighting for my case cause the adviser and tech know its my my fault, they are getting in contact with Fremont toyota to get approval from their manager for the costs.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmnnkay so everything is under warranty. I think i'm done with this car. After I get it back I am going to sell it and get an s2k
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rrimportracer

Good to see you back. :D but seriously man im going on my 3rd motor or i think 4th I love my tc and Just take your time yeah its going to be down. my was doing for 6 months then I got it running around st patty day and its down again and have been down since the first part of april so I know how it is. If you really like the car then stick it and rebuild it no problem.

Learning is by seeing. Seeing is by doing.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

honestly it looks like they did not properly install your air fuel sensor and it blew out and heated the hose causing a leak.

why sell a car based on bad events.the car had nothing to do with the bad events,you drove first motor into a large pool of water by mistake and hydro locked,I do not rembember if you got is covered via warrenty or insurance or cash in hand,but that is just bad luck on a rainy day.

Car got put back together......and now it has a problem it looks very apparant that whoever put the car back together dd a bad job putting in the sensor and it broke,that is a install error and would be covered.

Getting a new car is not gonna make problems go away,you will just be more broke due to higher car payments,resale and trade in values right now are in the dumper.

Just fix the car and drive carefull and enjoy what you have.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok to the op......in your sig you have nitrous, standalone, and turbo........but your pictures are of a stock car? am i missing something..........
Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
ok to the op......in your sig you have nitrous, standalone, and turbo........but your pictures are of a stock car? am i missing something..........
haha naw dude, its parts from the fast and furious, what the eclipse had underneath the hood.

my car isn't that stock... haha

Anyways I forgot to mention, I mostly want to sell it b/c my sister just graduatde from college, and shes going to have to commute, she does not want to drive stick so I can't just give her my car. I plan to part it out and sell it stock b/c I want the money to go towards her car, and whatever is left + the cash I have in the bank I want to buy a used car which is a lil faster, b/c I dont want to touch anything performance wise anymore.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
honestly it looks like they did not properly install your air fuel sensor and it blew out and heated the hose causing a leak.

why sell a car based on bad events.the car had nothing to do with the bad events,you drove first motor into a large pool of water by mistake and hydro locked,I do not rembember if you got is covered via warrenty or insurance or cash in hand,but that is just bad luck on a rainy day.

Car got put back together......and now it has a problem it looks very apparant that whoever put the car back together dd a bad job putting in the sensor and it broke,that is a install error and would be covered.

Getting a new car is not gonna make problems go away,you will just be more broke due to higher car payments,resale and trade in values right now are in the dumper.

Just fix the car and drive carefull and enjoy what you have.
Yeah that was what the problem was. They ordered a new sensor and a new manifold. All under warranty, and it should be down by this Saturday. The hydrolocked engine engine wasn't warranted, but I learned from that, wallet took a very big hit.

Quick Reply: Just my luck, i wanna get rid of my tC now