Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N CAI Install Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K&N CAI Install Question...

Sorry if this has been posted before,

But could someone with the K&N CAI please tell me if it's really necessary to pull the front wheel off to access the fender? Is it really necessary or just extra precaution? I have very little space to work with and putting my car up on a jack is out of the question at the moment. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

-Adam
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yes you need to take off the front driver's side wheel. You have to attach the filter through by the wheelwell and bolt the CAI piping to the car. Technically you can feed the just piping through hole under the hood by the battery, but it won't have a filter and will be sliding back and forth.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nycazn79
Yes you need to take off the front driver's side wheel. You have to attach the filter through by the wheelwell and bolt the CAI piping to the car. Technically you can feed the just piping through hole under the hood by the battery, but it won't have a filter and will be sliding back and forth.
Alright, that's what I was afraid of. I'm hoping that the jack included with the car will be sufficient enough to make this quick and painless. Argh... wish me luck! This sucker's going on tonight no matter what!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just buy some jack stands there not that mutch money maybe $20 at pepboys or ask your naighbor if you can borow one i wound trust that jack that the car comes with to hold up the car if i can use a jack stand insted
Old 03-22-2005, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed it was time to buy a new jack finaly...mine dropped about a quarter of an inch while I was doing the install. It did fine when I was doing my spring installs, but I only raised it up to put stands under it than and not leave it on the jack. Didn't worry about stands when I installed my CAI cause it was a fast instal. OKay took me an hour and half, but that is cause I was drinking beer, takeing calls, trying to figure out where I lost one of the the bolts at. Yah make sure you have a full count of all the parts. I actualy had to run to the store afterwards to replace one bolt I lost between my driveway and the garage.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:13 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default oops

heheh.. during my intake install and using the jack the car came with.. somehow the car moved a little bit forward and pretty much slammed the front end to the ground.. (the wheel was off)... i was like OMG!....

looked in the car.. oh.. my e-brake wasn't in.. the jack was laying sideways... the brake disc was on the concrete.... well.. hoping nothing happened with the frame or chassis.. alignment wise... once i managed to jack it up again.. the bottom was scraped up all to hell.. the brakes looked fine except for a small scatch.. finished up the install.. and yeah.. the engine sounds so much nicer now... hmm.. probably gonna check on to see what damage i did... *sigh*...
Old 03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: oops

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
heheh.. during my intake install and using the jack the car came with.. somehow the car moved a little bit forward and pretty much slammed the front end to the ground.. (the wheel was off)... i was like OMG!....

looked in the car.. oh.. my e-brake wasn't in.. the jack was laying sideways... the brake disc was on the concrete.... well.. hoping nothing happened with the frame or chassis.. alignment wise... once i managed to jack it up again.. the bottom was scraped up all to hell.. the brakes looked fine except for a small scatch.. finished up the install.. and yeah.. the engine sounds so much nicer now... hmm.. probably gonna check on to see what damage i did... *sigh*...
Hehehehe...

I had a similar scare myself, but thankfully the car didn't crash down onto the concrete. Word to the wise: pay attention to wear you leave your jack handle poking out! I almost tripped over it and dropped the whole damn thing, and no I wasn't thinking clearly enough to slip a jack stand under there. Lessons learned!
Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my intake today and i have one question do i really have to take off the negative battery cable? Will th ecu still configure itself if i dont take it off? i just want the hassle of retuning all the stations on the radio and the darn windows thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't remember who, but others have posted that they didn't remove the neg cable and didn't reset the ecu and did not get the CEL.

chris
Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

yah.. i didnt remove the negative cable or reset my ecu. it was fine. no cel.

ohh and no, you dont have to remove your drivers side wheel. you can just turn your wheel all the way to the left and jack your car up. you will have adiquate(spelling) room.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you guys
Old 04-18-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a looser...followed all the directions and pointed out where the "t's" werent crossed on the paperwork. Next time I'm gonna be a little more manly and leave the directions indoors and just tear stuff apart first.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that install was hell that bottom bracket is so F'en hard to align plus the bol;t they tell you to use isnt long enought to put on the nut what i did was use one of the bolts from inside the stock air box, and one question did anyone hear like a blow off valve type of sound from the intake when they first installed it? i instaleed today Tue, and hear it, is that normal or do i have a intake leak
Old 04-23-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc05
that install was hell that bottom bracket is so F'en hard to align plus the bol;t they tell you to use isnt long enought to put on the nut what i did was use one of the bolts from inside the stock air box, and one question did anyone hear like a blow off valve type of sound from the intake when they first installed it? i instaleed today Tue, and hear it, is that normal or do i have a intake leak

Yep, thats normal... you'll notice that it whistles when your accelerator pedal is at a certain point (like 1 inch depressed). I believe it's the throttle body being open only slightly, while vaccuming in more airflow
Old 04-24-2005, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love that whistle noise!!! It sounds so schweet. Coupled with my TRD exhaust, the engine sounds like a monster. Next performance move ---------------> Headerz (4-1)
Old 04-24-2005, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i love that sound, never had a CAI b4 on my proir cars so i was just concerned hmmmm trd exhaust i dunno i may go with the injen exhaust unless Apexi comes out with one soon love that N1