Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N Drop in Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default silencer

Originally Posted by 2LoTc
haha. yeah i had a 300- friend riding shotgun to and from Spring Nationals..He took up so much room, i couldn't shift in to 5th or reverse!

but back to the orignial point. Yes, the K&N does flow significantly more air and i for one, am satisfied with my purchase.

Has anyone removed the silencer from the stock intake system??
i am guessing that is that small tiny box that sits on the rubber intake.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

some one needs too lock this thread.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to gain just alittle more power take off the tiny tube that goes into the finder... to do this take the air filter out and remove the 2 screws inside the air box and the screws hold the tube to the body. then just pull the tube out.... i noticed alittle sound difference at about the 3k range but more flow = more power and its free to pull the tube out
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys are ridiculous arguing about such a stupid topic, I have had stock intake, k&n, and CAI. All on the same car, The difference to me is minimal if any, maybe 2 more mpg's. There is no way i felt any difference except on the highwy and that may have been all in my head!! It is even proven by all filter makers in dyno testing that the intake systems on a NA car will not exceed 6-8 HP. And even then on the dynos they actually show a loss of torque at lower ends. I guess the point i'm trying to make is that you should buy what you can afford or what you like, and the main difference in all aftermarket filters is that they last freakin forever.

Too many people rely too strongly on that d@mN dyno test. Just "drive it like you stole it" and SHUT THE F*^$ UP!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not aimed at everyone here, just the ones here that think they know everything there is to know about everything. Not that I know it all, but I know enough to learn from experience and not what other people say. This topic is old and pointless, and it freakin frustrates me so sorry if it seems like I'm just rambling
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vaccaro
some one needs too lock this thread.
VERY MUCH AGREED!!!!! GOOD IDEA!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually a performance test were conducted on all major CAIs and the K&N drop filter. K&N showed loss in power of 1-2 hp you might say thats nothing but I will say why buy waste money on something that is contrary to being beneficial. Test showed injen having a nice gain i think 8hp and 5tq or so. Last thing, CAI will not save you gas but have the opposite effect. If you want to see the tests...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92108
Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

then why did u bring it up? it was dead for awhile
Old 08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Actually a performance test were conducted on all major CAIs and the K&N drop filter. K&N showed loss in power of 1-2 hp you might say thats nothing but I will say why buy waste money on something that is contrary to being beneficial. Test showed injen having a nice gain i think 8hp and 5tq or so. Last thing, CAI will not save you gas but have the opposite effect. If you want to see the tests...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92108
Like i said, the mpg and highway power may have been all in my head, and also i said the dynos will show about 6-8 hp gains so im not disagreeing with you, you have actually had one of the better quotes here, but when actually tracked I personally have had better gas mileage with a CAI when i'm not WOT all the time, thats not to say thats the gospel with every car though. Most people get less MPGs because they punch it more. And lastly i could look at dynos all day long and they don't mean anything to me. It is someone elses car in different conditions than mine. In my opinion, unless your taking your car to the track, then 156 hp at the wheels instead of 150 hp means absolutely squat. Its all preference and bragging rights on who has 2 more HPs.

I have the weapon r intake and i don't care what the dyno say(MY PERSONAL dyno said the CAI added 9 peak HPs) i raced my cousins completley stock tC and it was dead nutz from a stop to 105 miles an hour. We could have held a conversation between the windows. We tried many times with the same exact results.

P.S. Im not surprised with the k&n drop ins, I hate those things
Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
then why did u bring it up? it was dead for awhile
True true! but i'm polish and polish people are known for adding there 2 cents, even when not necessary or even wanted. lol but im done now, i blew off my steam. Take it or leave it, thats just been my experience BYE

P.S. Props on the tC, its F-ing sweet i especially like the wheels!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be careful I've heard that oiled filters, like k@N can damage your mass air flow sensor. Aem's cold air uses a dry filter just becuse of that issue.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i have constantly received 29-31 miles to a gallon ever since i installed the trd drop in air filter

before that i have only gotten 27 mpg on average
NOW, i push my car pass 3k rpm all the time with half city driving with some traffic then some highway driving

and i hit 30 mpg consistently
Old 08-23-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my mpg hasn't changed since putting in the K&N....it is still based on the way I drive during a given tank of gas...glad to hear thats helping - your investment will soon pay for itself it seems
Old 08-24-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

whew for a while there i thought i was reading an old civic forum... "my drop-in filter gave me 1hp and i FELT it!!!!" "no you didnt thats impossible!" cmon guys you're both right in theory. it depends on the car itself. as everyone knows, not every tC has the EXACT same hp numbers from the factory. the same thing applies when you add aftermarket modifications. granted, the differences won't be huge, but they will be there. IMHO, if some of you are arguing that much over an extra 1hp, maybe a drop-in filter wasnt the best choice after all. for the MOST part, a 1hp difference is unnoticable. i could make a bigger difference in my tC's speed by kicking my girlfriend out of the car than i could by simply adding a drop-in filter. besides, maybe that "extra speed" you got from the 1hp was actually because your gas tank was less full when you decided to unleash that mighty horse you gained. bottom line -- do the mod if you want to, but don't expect much in return.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer
whew for a while there i thought i was reading an old civic forum... "my drop-in filter gave me 1hp and i FELT it!!!!" "no you didnt thats impossible!" cmon guys you're both right in theory. it depends on the car itself. as everyone knows, not every tC has the EXACT same hp numbers from the factory. the same thing applies when you add aftermarket modifications. granted, the differences won't be huge, but they will be there. IMHO, if some of you are arguing that much over an extra 1hp, maybe a drop-in filter wasnt the best choice after all. for the MOST part, a 1hp difference is unnoticable. i could make a bigger difference in my tC's speed by kicking my girlfriend out of the car than i could by simply adding a drop-in filter. besides, maybe that "extra speed" you got from the 1hp was actually because your gas tank was less full when you decided to unleash that mighty horse you gained. bottom line -- do the mod if you want to, but don't expect much in return.
Thats what i meant to say!lol!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I think i may be confused what this so called drop in filter looks like. Is this a drop in as in. Stock filter take out and aftermarket filter dropped in? Or is it snaking the existing stock box through down to the fender? Pictures anyone please?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

stock filter (paper) out, cotton filter in
Old 09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

so trd high flow then?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

trd = more flow. not high flow. the stock intake system is restrictive
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer
whew for a while there i thought i was reading an old civic forum...
youre not too far from it.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default ok

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
stock filter (paper) out, cotton filter in
I would usually refer to a drop in filter as a SR or CAI.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter??