Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Key Fob Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Default Key Fob Swap?

So I've read you need to have scion keys re-programmed, but I'm not so sure about that. 06 Scion TC**

I bought a key fob off of ebay and it had the key blank in it. I had the blank cut and it works for the door. The blank will allow the engine to crank with out the fob internals, but the car will not turn over. Car won't turn over with just the internals in it either so I'm thinking the blank needs this little block/ receiver deal?

They key it's self doesn't have a chip in it, so I'm thinking this little box is what usually needs re-programmed?

Does anyone know if I take this piece out and put in the new key fob if it'll allow my engine to turn over? Is there a way I could test? I believe the technology wasn't too advance then and the chip was in the fob rather than the key?
Attached Thumbnails Key Fob Swap?-keyfob.png  
Old 07-15-2017, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, swap the chip to the new key. then follow these steps
Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by miamiBASS
yes, swap the chip to the new key. then follow these steps https://youtu.be/kupt6mV_YCU
How would I begin to get the chip out? I've tried to hook & pull with a tooth pick but I'm afraid of damaging the chip. Should I just break open my old fob?
I'm also a bit timid because I'm not 100% certain replacing the chip will allow new key to start car. Does it have a medal connector somewhere on the inside? Or, does it just need to be in proximity of the key to start vehicle?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM
SL Member

There should br a slot in the key fob to stick a quarter in and twist to snap it open. I ended up dishing out $250 at the dealer cause none of the aftermarket keys or fobs worked for me.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by IFeelYourPain
There should br a slot in the key fob to stick a quarter in and twist to snap it open. I ended up dishing out $250 at the dealer cause none of the aftermarket keys or fobs worked for me.

I attached a picture at the top of the post. There's no such key slot or area that you can pop the section open. From reading another forum, I think I'll have to get an exacto knife and cut around the glue.

Any other tips are appreciated!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 PM

Update: I finally felt comfortable enough to do this after following the link below. I wasn't able to get my chip out with heat alone. I had to use an exacto knife & snip the old casing with wire cutter a little. Be careful. Orientation of chip when reinstalling matters. I did not have to reprogram anything either. Just swap the chip. Cheers! Sorry for the duplicate postings. Now it's a bit easier to find.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...ersion-162974/

Last edited by N8dogg12; 08-05-2017 at 04:15 PM.