Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

KillertC.com/GSCMotorsports.com Scion tC Intake Test !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious but what filter is it in the Umnitza, if you needed to replace it what would you need to order ?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Limey
Originally Posted by ColeGSC
We are going to drive around with the Umnitza intake on the car for the rest of the week. We will give it PLENTY of time for the ECU to learn.

We will dyno it again at the end of the week.
What will that show.

It's no use unless there is a comparison.
They will be comparing it to the previous run with that intake. They are comparing to see if the ECU needs more time to adjust to get proper A/F ratios.

At least, thats what I gathered from reading this thread so far.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But it doesn't show how it compares to other intakes.

That's what I was getting at, same thing Ray and Um said above, if you're going to dyno one after a week of ecu training, you'll have to dyno them all.

Poor car's going to not know what's going on.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Limey
But it doesn't show how it compares to other intakes.

That's what I was getting at, same thing Ray and Um said above, if you're going to dyno one after a week of ecu training, you'll have to dyno them all.

Poor car's going to not know what's going on.
Well, you asked what they would be comparing it to. I gave my response. I was going to mention what Ray and Um said as well, but figured you would have already read that part....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hey just wanted to say thank you for doing all this work! this i think is the best test you guys can do under the circumstances. GREAT JOB!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hey....did you guys run the tc the whole week with the F5 intake on it.....then do the round two? it just sounded that way from how you posted on round two.... if so how many miles do you think? and if you did,does that mean the computer learned and still made "about" the same HP......yeah i know it is a little different but i am thinking weather had a lot to do with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you so much for these dyno results.

I can't wait to see the results of the exhaust tests (Creative Compacts and Draxas please). Any possibility of exhaust and header tests on supercharged tC? Umnitza intake with supercharger? Thanx again and keep up the awesome work.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeaponR_Ray
Granted that the dyno test for each manufacturer's intake was done with identical procedures (ECU reset, same number of runs, ect), I think it would be fair to say that the tests were NOT faulty. If each intake got equal treatment, then there can be no arguement as to which intake the ECU learned better. The parameters are the same, and the ECU learns at the same pace each and every time. This was a shotgun, heads-up style dyno test, so it's either you make the power, or you don't. If Umnitza gets a week of flogging before it's tested, every other intake in this test should get the same treatment. I'm not encouraging this action, but if it is the case that they get a second round dyno session, with out the same situation for every other manufacturer, then I feel their final dyno results should be left out of this dyno challege.
Ray, I would think you'd want your intake retested too. It's running dangerously lean all the way through the rev range.
This whole test is flawed, you cannot expect the ecu to relearn when you are running it on a dyno with no load. GSC needs to install the intakes, reset the ecu, get on the gas a few times on the street and then dyno the car. Otherwise, you are not getting real world results.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeaponR_Ray
Granted that the dyno test for each manufacturer's intake was done with identical procedures (ECU reset, same number of runs, ect), I think it would be fair to say that the tests were NOT faulty. If each intake got equal treatment, then there can be no arguement as to which intake the ECU learned better. The parameters are the same, and the ECU learns at the same pace each and every time. This was a shotgun, heads-up style dyno test, so it's either you make the power, or you don't. If Umnitza gets a week of flogging before it's tested, every other intake in this test should get the same treatment. I'm not encouraging this action, but if it is the case that they get a second round dyno session, with out the same situation for every other manufacturer, then I feel their final dyno results should be left out of this dyno challege.

I concur. And thank you guys also for the dyno's. When the exhaust test come around, you guys should include the ZPI cat-back as well.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so as of now, injen shows the best performance, and my wr is not very healthy for my car?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for actually dyno'ing the products.

By doing this, you're saving individual users up to $70 per run at the cost of a little electricity on your part. It's very rare that a company would do something like this.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member

the car wasn't driven since the last intake test...

we pulled it out of the shop and then back in again a few times, so it was driven less than a mile between the last test and this one.

We didnt get a chance to test anything last night. Sorry for dissapointing.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duston831
my wr is not very healthy for my car?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

[quote="duston831"]
Originally Posted by duston831
my wr is not very healthy for my car?
[/quote

I just wanted to point out if you look at the overlay dyno graph they posted , the Injen intake A/F reading is off the chart super lean. The injen doesnt catch up to the WR untill 4300 RPM. So from 2500rpm till about 3750 you cant even see how lean the car ran. I think that is a bit unhealthy. Considering normal driving would be in that rpm range. Also look at the Secret Weapon A/F reading it stays pretty consistant throughout the whole dyno run. You can see where the Secret weapon is doing its job at low RPM's.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I would say the WR has the better looking AF reading.

They may be a touch lean, but they are at least consistent.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

But under normal driving conditions a lean condition is not that horrible. WOT and high rpm and being lean is really the enemy, right?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WR, Injen, Umnitza

I thought lean was better. Better fuel mileage, better power. Rich is definately worse.
Here's a thought: AEM. Why hasn't AEM come out with an intake yet? I've read a few articles online and in magazine's that shows that they have, yet I can't find one for sale.
Another thought: Someone asked earlier and no one replied, what filter does the umnitza use? Because If it's just "a pretty carbon fiber box," how would it work in conjunction with, say, the Injen Intake? Sounds good to me, someone tell me why it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be worth it if it did.
Thanks for the test results guys, very insightful, and very free.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: WR, Injen, Umnitza

Originally Posted by ballinbox
I thought lean was better. Better fuel mileage, better power. Rich is definately worse.
Here's a thought: AEM. Why hasn't AEM come out with an intake yet? I've read a few articles online and in magazine's that shows that they have, yet I can't find one for sale.
Another thought: Someone asked earlier and no one replied, what filter does the umnitza use? Because If it's just "a pretty carbon fiber box," how would it work in conjunction with, say, the Injen Intake? Sounds good to me, someone tell me why it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be worth it if it did.
Thanks for the test results guys, very insightful, and very free.
AEM was supposed to release their CAI for the tC a long time ago (same time the supercharger was supposed to come out) like a year ago. Scion was supposed to be selling these. As we all know TRD doesn't sell parts that aren't CARB legal. To make the AEM CARB legal, they had to be conservative with the numbers. The AEM CAI wasn't making good enough numbers to be worth selling, so they kinda scrapped it.

TRD is releasing or has released a cold air intake for the tC. Its made by AEM, but TRD slapped their badges all over it so they could sell it as a TRD part. So you can buy the TRD CAI,which is a rebadged AEM. I hopw this answers your question.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: WR, Injen, Umnitza

Originally Posted by ballinbox
Someone asked earlier and no one replied, what filter does the umnitza use? Because If it's just "a pretty carbon fiber box," how would it work in conjunction with, say, the Injen Intake? Sounds good to me, someone tell me why it wouldn't work or why it wouldn't be worth it if it did.
The umnitza appears to be a large cone filter that attaches to the OEM air piping with the semblence of a cold air style box made out of CF wrapped round it.

Humble Opinion: Umnitza would have a better time if they sold it as an addition to an existing SRI, like Injen or WR, but sold it for less and made no claim other than the fact that it's a cold air box.

On a dyno, where the CAI aspect is much less (the hoods up for starters) any gain or lose that the Umnitza has is probably 99% due to the filter they use.

I asked becuase I was curious to see the calibre of the cone they are using, and also becuase it would be interesting to dyno with just a huge cone filter on the stock piping and nothing else.

I always wondered if that would be a good ghetto option.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just put in my Umnitza Intake

I was wondering how i use the L bracket, im sure the use of it is to mount the intake so it doesn't move but i don't know where to start with that. Any Suggestions Umnitza?

You can't really hear the intake untill 4k, it whistles till 3.5 k then a nice deep tone till 6k. It's a nice intake and im sure the dyno's to come will look promising.

Quick Reply: KillertC.com/GSCMotorsports.com Scion tC Intake Test !!!!