Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Megan Mid Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust & Header

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Megan Mid Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust & Header

So I've done a lot of searching on SL, Google, ect on this topic and couldn't answer all my questions about a Megan Mid Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust & Headers.

Was hoping you guys could give me your opinions on this set up. Sorry if some of my questions are noobtastic. I'm pretty much basing some of my questions from what I've gathered via research via google and SL.

Some of my concerns are:

So the stock cat can really reduce air flow through your exhaust in your mid pipe. Swapping the stock mid pipe with Megan gets rid of the cat increasing air flow. However, I read in a few post that there was additional cats in the Header and Axel back???? (no idea)

If so... this means i'd have no problem with emissions because i would have some sort of cat. (even though emissions isn't that big of a deal)

and ... if that is true... is it really worth upgrading the mid pipe with the stock header and Exhaust? I know it won't be a crazy amount of gain... but will they kinda cancel each other out? if that makes any dam sense lol.

Sound is an issue too... the main reason why I want to run the Stock exhaust & Header is because its quiet. I know that swapping out the mid pipe will indeed have a change in sound... but It won't be as loud as an aftermarket axel back. also, Loud is one thing... but if its gonna sound like sh][T with the stock exhaust I won't even bother.

I just figure that the Stock exaust size is pretty much 2 - 2.5 (alot of different sizes listed on SL so not sure on the exact) which isn't to too bad... If I can get rid of that cat on the mid while running a stock header and stock exhaust... will I get a typical hp exhaust gain?

Hope I made some sense. Thanks guys!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unfortunately, the whole exhaust for the tc has flaws in every part.

the stock header has a cat in it and reduces air flow vs aftermarket ones that delete the cat.

the stock mid pipe is retarded and constricts air flow at the curves vs aftermarket ones that are 2.5-3in diameter all the way through.

the stock midpipe has a second cat and a huge resonator in it vs the megan one which deletes the cat and instead has two high flow resonators in it (i have it its pretty good, canceles a lot of sound but still good performance.)

the stock exhaust isnt too bad but there are a lot of better options, even the trd one if you dont want to be too loud.

ATM i have DC headers a 2.5in spipe the megan midpipe and a greddy spectrum elite exhaust. sounds pretty good but its pretty loud the trd or maby another would be a lot quieter.