Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   minor exhaust leak (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/minor-exhaust-leak-74700/)

3min3m2 09-21-2006 06:22 PM

minor exhaust leak

ok i had a second resonator installed on my drift spec exhaust to quiet the header(which i no longer have)

instaed of dealing with the local shop(\minor rant\catch crap cause i'm modifying a 4 cylinder....sorry i dont live and die by muscle cars \endrant\)i have decided to *patch* it...i plan on using something simple like a JB weld...this section doesn't get extremely hot(it's about 6 inches past the drift spec's primary resonator, and its a basically under the rear seats. the problem is it was not totally sealed when installed it was just slipped on, and hope for the best...so now whne the car is cold it sounds really raspy, but kind of goes away as it heats up....but as it gets even warmer.(driving through traffic, a good 1hr+) the exhaust gets louer, but not raspy

yeah....really wierd, but this seems like this is the problem, so i think this works

anyone have any other suggestions as in what products to use instead of JB Weld??

its aluminum to stainless steel

web 09-21-2006 06:28 PM

If you have a torch, just heat that area up to close to red hot. Aluminum has a lower melting point than steel and when both heat up and touch, they chemically weld themselves together. If you can't do that, try using exhaust puddy instead of JB Weld. Might mend the hole better.

tcengel 09-21-2006 06:46 PM

Mine is the same way and my resonator and cat are welded in. This is basically just the way the drift spec muffler sounds. It sounds best when warmed up, but worse when the car is heatsoaked like when sitting in traffic.

Your best bet is to try a new muffler if the sound bothers you that much.

web 09-21-2006 06:50 PM

I'm going Spintech. Throaty sound at WOT and nice grumble at low rpms

3min3m2 09-22-2006 03:58 PM

it didnt sound that way before i had the resonator installed

io dont have access to a torch(at least not easily and safely) but i did find an exhaust putty...i'll be good to go this weekend

thanks anyways

web 09-22-2006 04:00 PM

NP

tcengel 09-22-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
it didnt sound that way before i had the resonator installed

That's because it was so damn loud you couldn't tell the difference.

3min3m2 09-22-2006 04:11 PM

dude...i can feel the air coming out of the resonator....

i know it's leaking

web 09-22-2006 04:15 PM

If you got it welded in, patch up the welds really thick with that exhaust puddy. Or, just take it to get a 10$ weld job done if it's leaking from there. But, that puddy should be enough. Good luck.

3min3m2 09-22-2006 04:17 PM

im just going for the putty...they didnt weld the resonator in, its a sli[p fit to a piece of pipe, weled the pipe to my megan...kind of a crappy job, didn't look at it till it was too late...which was my stupidity..

which is why i wouldn't take it back to them to weld it(there theo nly place around her close that does exhausts)

tcengel 09-22-2006 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by web
If you got it welded in, patch up the welds really thick with that exhaust puddy. Or, just take it to get a 10$ weld job done if it's leaking from there. But, that puddy should be enough. Good luck.

If you can feel the air, I doubt puddy will last too long. Just pay the $10 to weld it.

web 09-22-2006 04:32 PM

The puddy hardens into a steel-like compound. It doesn't stay soft.