Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Mishimoto 2 core aluminum radiator installed and review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

No the adapter kit, is to attach the fans to the radiator.

It has nothing to do with the electrical wiring ^^

Do you think you could fit two 14" fans one side side????
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

oh the mounting kit, i just bought some from autozone, theyre pretty much generic radiator, oil cooler, tranny cooler mounting kits that looks like zip ties lol.. i think i would be able to fit a 14", but its gonna be a lil on the upper part coz I cant stick it too low because of my IC pipe
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PMed...

2 14" fans on the mishimoto radiator will have overhang. The radiator is 24" wide so a 14" and 10" setup, or 2 12" fans would be the best bet to utilize the most amount of pulling force.

The mounting kit is to mount the fan to the radiator.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Here's another detailed review, i just post here than making a new thread
Here's what I have
watercooled turbocharger= coolant flows to the hot turbo contantly= more heat on the coolant system
Two 12" slim fans, 1 pusher, 1 puller= pusher fan less effective, the ac blocks the air so very little air makes it to the rad
front intercooler= blocks a very big area on the radiator causing less cooling

oem rad:
Cruising
Coolant temp at normal operating temp I observed is around 182-184F, after few mins of driving temp gradually goes to around 188-192F, then it goes around 194-198 after awhile especially at low speeds between 30-45 mph, the only time the temp drops to 188F-190F is when i drive to at least 60 mph..

mish rad:
Cruise temp on a 95+ weather, 70mph is 182F (lowest operating temp IMO). On the city with lot of stop and traffic its from 188-200F (on the stock rad its 198-225) at 225F the coolant needle starts creeping to a quarter more before it reaches "H". Once the car starts moving even on low speeds temp easily drops to 186-190F. As outside temp drops to 83F, at 70mph the temp is now 181-182F, not much change there but i think that temp its cold enough not to trigger the fans..

Idle..
oem rad after long idle is around 204-225F, once it reaches 220 I usually drive the car right away otherwise I turn the engine off, at 225F its on its way to overheating.. but the highest I saw so far was 245F!!! and its at H, with the mishimoto radiator after I drove it on a busy street, i let idled it was initially 204F, after 20 mins of idling its around 198-200, still high but I could actually hear the fans turning off which i never noticed after the putting the turbo on oem radiator.. I say big improvements here, with oem fans coolant temp at idle constantly goes up, it takes awhile though but it never goes down.. with the mish rad, i got it bouncing within 198-204 for around 30 mins

I still believe I need some more cooling being my fan setup isnt that efficient, the fans still takes a long time to turn off than I wanted.. but in general the current one is already good

Issues:
I noticed a drop in coolant level on the reservoir tank. i thought it was only due to air pockets freed on the rad, i opened the rad cap and i was surprised i was able to fill a good amount. As I was driving and boosting and checking my engine bay, i was surprised that the coolant that was spilled on the battery still hasnt dried up, after every drive i check the engine bay i noticed the coolant level still dropping and i have to fill radiator, then i suspected leaks, the hoses seems pretty tight but i could see pink stuff on the side.. then there's this plastic plug that is screwed into the right side of the tank one on top and one on the bottom, and both were loose! i tightened both and problem solved so far..

I dont know what those two ports on the rad are for though, anybody knows? can those be used to feed and return coolant on the watercooled turbo?

another pic

It fits great even with a turbo w/ big manifold and a slim fan on one side..
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Wow that info is just what I needed, lol.

THANKS!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
Here's another detailed review, i just post here than making a new thread
Here's what I have
watercooled turbocharger= coolant flows to the hot turbo contantly= more heat on the coolant system
Two 12" slim fans, 1 pusher, 1 puller= pusher fan less effective, the ac blocks the air so very little air makes it to the rad
front intercooler= blocks a very big area on the radiator causing less cooling

oem rad:
Cruising
Coolant temp at normal operating temp I observed is around 182-184F, after few mins of driving temp gradually goes to around 188-192F, then it goes around 194-198 after awhile especially at low speeds between 30-45 mph, the only time the temp drops to 188F-190F is when i drive to at least 60 mph..

mish rad:
Cruise temp on a 95+ weather, 70mph is 182F (lowest operating temp IMO). On the city with lot of stop and traffic its from 188-200F (on the stock rad its 198-225) at 225F the coolant needle starts creeping to a quarter more before it reaches "H". Once the car starts moving even on low speeds temp easily drops to 186-190F. As outside temp drops to 83F, at 70mph the temp is now 181-182F, not much change there but i think that temp its cold enough not to trigger the fans..

Idle..
oem rad after long idle is around 204-225F, once it reaches 220 I usually drive the car right away otherwise I turn the engine off, at 225F its on its way to overheating.. but the highest I saw so far was 245F!!! and its at H, with the mishimoto radiator after I drove it on a busy street, i let idled it was initially 204F, after 20 mins of idling its around 198-200, still high but I could actually hear the fans turning off which i never noticed after the putting the turbo on oem radiator.. I say big improvements here, with oem fans coolant temp at idle constantly goes up, it takes awhile though but it never goes down.. with the mish rad, i got it bouncing within 198-204 for around 30 mins

I still believe I need some more cooling being my fan setup isnt that efficient, the fans still takes a long time to turn off than I wanted.. but in general the current one is already good

Issues:
I noticed a drop in coolant level on the reservoir tank. i thought it was only due to air pockets freed on the rad, i opened the rad cap and i was surprised i was able to fill a good amount. As I was driving and boosting and checking my engine bay, i was surprised that the coolant that was spilled on the battery still hasnt dried up, after every drive i check the engine bay i noticed the coolant level still dropping and i have to fill radiator, then i suspected leaks, the hoses seems pretty tight but i could see pink stuff on the side.. then there's this plastic plug that is screwed into the right side of the tank one on top and one on the bottom, and both were loose! i tightened both and problem solved so far..

I dont know what those two ports on the rad are for though, anybody knows? can those be used to feed and return coolant on the watercooled turbo?

another pic

It fits great even with a turbo w/ big manifold and a slim fan on one side..
the bolts you are referring to do they look like wing bolts? If so those are to drain the coolant
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, those are the drain valve and the vent valve. The one up near the battery is the vent, and the one near the driver's side bottom is the drain valve. This radiator comes with plastic valves and an o-ring seal so you have to be careful tightening them. You don't want to strip the plastic threads in the aluminum seats. Mine leaked during install a few times but it just took a few extra 1/4 turns of the bottom drain valve to get it set. No leaks in over 4000 miles.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM

nice radiator. SHINY
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks!

About 3400 highway miles and some hard driving miles thrown in there and no issues. No leaks, temp spikes or anything. Cooling stays low and consistent as does the weld quality. This radiator is GREAT!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That is sweet! Good job on install. Be carfull not to lean on it looking into ur engine bay.....HOT!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:48 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, found that out the hard way!....haha
Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still running cool and with dropping ambient temperatures, car has been running great on the highway. Periodically, as the thermostat opens, you notice a nice drop in coolant temp but b/c I have the 170 thermo in, as compared to the stock 180, it opens earlier. With it opening earlier, the temp fluctuates a bit quicker so the needle is relatively constant.

All in all....I'm lovin' it! (sorry McDonald's)
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a visual (using a generic cluster picture) of what happens with my cooling setup. I've been running it for about 8000 miles with no issues.

95% of the time (b/c I don't race it at all really), the needle stays where you see the red line is. That's normal for pretty much all tCs. The difference is when I decide to race my engine...that's where the needle plunges and the block stays a great deal cooler throughout the run. The blue line depicts my temperature reading as I am racing the engine and for about 30 seconds afterwards.

I am going to leave my setup as is during the winter b/c while driving normal in 50 degree weather, the needle doesn't move at all and I still have normal heat. On the highway, the thermostat opens up early enough to have the block regulated rather than letting a flood of cold water hit the block...which really isn't good for the block due to extreme temperature changes. The winter can get down into the teens around here so that'll be a test for my car but I always let it idle to warm up at least to where you see the blue line before getting in and driving it.

Spring time will be time to swap the waterpump out just for good measure so I'll let you all know how things go through that time.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:

Ended up swapping the waterpump early b/c the freeze plug was spewing coolant. Kept the 170 thermostat in so as of right now my setup is as follows:

OEM waterpump, OEM pullies, Agency Power 5 ply silicone hoses, Gates 170 thermostat, 2 core Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Toyota coolant (40% coolant, 60% water mix) and Royal Purple Ice additive.

Running a cool 177 degrees with ambient temp being around 22 degrees. Heat works well also.

Cruising temp (removed underdrive pullies) is between 177-184. Idle temp is around 184-188. WOT with ambient temp range from 20-40 degrees is 145-150 degrees. Fuel consumption has not been effected and car idles smoothly and runs very well at low, mid and top end.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ mine is close to that too! just about few degrees higher but i live in a hotter weather.. how does the royal purple additive work? im thinking of using one for more cooling
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
^^ mine is close to that too! just about few degrees higher but i live in a hotter weather.. how does the royal purple additive work? im thinking of using one for more cooling
It seems to help out when running at high rpms....At WOT, it dumps to about 145 and holds there for as long as I'm hauling.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my Mishimoto.

Only complaint is the rubber o-rings used on the bleed valves such something major.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I love my Mishimoto.

Only complaint is the rubber o-rings used on the bleed valves such something major.
^x2. I talked to Chris at Mishimoto about it and he submitted the complaints to their R&D department and is going to keep me updated. I threadlocked the crap out of both valves with 6-7 wraps of teflon tape to make sure no fluid leaked out. After replacing the first one for faulty welding on the fins (which Chris hooked me up and got me a new one in about 3 days and all I had to do was send him pictures of the leak), I have had the new one in for about 1000 miles so far with absolutely no leak from the valves what so ever.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

anyone knows the size and the thread pitch of the drain plugs? im thinking of using one of those ports for my water temp sensor which is 3/8 -18
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

WOW, thats is a great fking idea, lol.

I'm serious.

I should try that too ^^

Quick Reply: Mishimoto 2 core aluminum radiator installed and review