Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Modified Emissions Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Modified Emissions Tickets

Got pulled over going to work and the cop gave me a citation for having Modified Emissions Code 27156. I called in to make an appointment with the referee since a cop can't sign off on it. They told me that the ref would essentially give my car a smog test, and that if I passed, it'd be $8 for the certification, which I would have to show the courts. I have an Injen CAI, Tsudo mid-pipe, and TRD exhaust on my TC. I'm pretty sure I would need to take the CAI/mid-pipe off and put the stock ones back on in order to pass, but what about the TRD exhaust? The only reason I ask is because I sold off all my stock parts awhile back so I would need to find them again, but just want to make sure if I need to buy a stock exhaust again. thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

I'm so glad I live somewhere without emissions testing.. Do you know anyone with a stock exhaust. Maybe you could trade for the day.. or something like that.. An unsuspecting neighbor maybe? Strike in the middle of the night and do a switch.. and then sneak back the next day.. ha ha..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wth?? you got pulled over with a TRD exhaust?
that's just insane.
TRD exhaust is an option at toyota dealerships so i don't know why people would be getting tickets for a TRD..o man..anyways, good luck!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM

I just got pulled over for my megan drift spec (silencer removed) and invidia s pipe. Basically I just stuck the silencer back in went over to the closest Toyota/Scion dealership and asked if they could sign off on my warning. All I had to do was pull up rev a little and they printed out a receipt saying they tested my exhaust and it met oem standards.

Basically just put the stock air box back in and visit your local Scion dealership and take your paper work to the DMV you may need the smog test still though since your citation is for emissions equipment.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cT_Finest_tC
I just got pulled over for my megan drift spec (silencer removed) and invidia s pipe. Basically I just stuck the silencer back in went over to the closest Toyota/Scion dealership and asked if they could sign off on my warning. All I had to do was pull up rev a little and they printed out a receipt saying they tested my exhaust and it met oem standards.

Basically just put the stock air box back in and visit your local Scion dealership and take your paper work to the DMV you may need the smog test still though since your citation is for emissions equipment.
california is state ref only. even if it gets thrown out, the court gets thier fee money. it's a scam california pulls for revinue.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

axle back doesn't effect the emission. intake and after market mid pipe will cause you fail the test.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cT_Finest_tC

interesting i got the same setup as you,ive had no issues (knock on wood)
when i had my header on thats a different story.....but then again im on LI
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you do not have to take off the TRD exhaust but the midpipe and CAI must come off. i passed with a HKS axleback and its a little bit louder. then you take the paper to court and show it to the judge.

then pay $500. yay california.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by night87
wth?? you got pulled over with a TRD exhaust?
that's just insane.
TRD exhaust is an option at toyota dealerships so i don't know why people would be getting tickets for a TRD..o man..anyways, good luck!
TRD is fine. I got pulled over for my tints and got away with it and my TRD. It's a factory option.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats retarded, you have the trd exhaust which you get stock from the factory!

theres no way he could tell you have the tsudo midpipe unless he climbed under your car which i doubt he did. or if he told you to pop your heard and saw your cai..

what did he pull you over for in the first place? sounds like theyre just being dicks to get money
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you leave the trd exhaust on you will still pass but that's without the cai and midpipe, what you can also do is contact toyota to send you a paper of proof that your trd exhaust is 50-state legal so you can have extra papers to back you up incase you ever get pulled over again. cops can't see the midpipe so you can always throw that back on after you get that paper from toyota and also the copy of the exhaust from the state ref but as for the intake did they put down that you had a modified intake or just exhaust?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:49 AM
SL Member

sh*t is bananas! x2 on the get the trd card saying its legal. but is your midpipe cutting out that second cat? if not i dont see why you shouldnt be able to pass smog without touching your current setup
Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Move before California becomes an island.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ lol -____-
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
Move before California becomes an island.
Please dear God.. Someone make it an island.. Apart from having a sister live there.. I'd be tempted to go all old school Lex Luthor and just blow it off at the San Andreas fault.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know If Ill pass the emission test in IL, if i cut off the cat to install Magnaflow exhaust?...... It may be a stupid question but im not familiar with emission test in US
Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did the cop pop yo hood or just give u the exhaust ticket?