Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Monster Motorworks CEL Light Fix for Headers. ( Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Monster Motorworks CEL Light Fix for Headers. ( Pictures )

Here is our new unit for the CEL Light Fix.

We are trying them now and have not had any problems with it yet.
Whats this does is it slows down the flow to the O2 Sensor, since the cat slows the exhaust flow down before it passes the O2 sensor in the stock exhaust.

This kit will bolt onto any header, you screw the threaded end into the 2nd O2 Sensor Port on the header, adjust the L-section so it doesnt hit the ground or hit anything.
Tighten the nut against the O2 Sensor Port and then Screw in your O2 Sensor into the other end of the Adapter.

We will be selling these O2 Adapters very soon.
We would like to test it for a few more weeks to make sure we have no CEL LIGHTS.

Thanks Everyone.
Happy Holidays.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it goes on the header or s-pipe?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to assume he means the s-pipe since he said it goes on the second O2...

here is another question.. wouldn't just putting in the antifouler do the trick..?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
it goes on the header or s-pipe?
It says it right in his post.it goes in the s pipe
Old 11-23-2005, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

props to you mmw.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$$
Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not getting check engine lights because the exhaust flows past the sensor to quickly, you are getting one because the exhaust is dirty and still much hotter then the sensor is calibrated to see.

The typical anti fouler moves the sensor back, just out of the flow of the exhaust so that it doesn't see as much of the exhaust or heat, this thing will actually take it completely out and from the looks of it it wont see much of anything. This mod might get the CEL light to turn off, but could also cause the car to switch back and forth from open to closed loop a lot as well. The ecu typically relies on more then just the CTS to know whether or not the engine has reached proper operating temps. This could potentially hurt gas mileage greatly. I'll be interested to see the results of this piece.

Charles
Old 11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
You're not getting check engine lights because the exhaust flows past the sensor to quickly, you are getting one because the exhaust is dirty and still much hotter then the sensor is calibrated to see.

The typical anti fouler moves the sensor back, just out of the flow of the exhaust so that it doesn't see as much of the exhaust or heat, this thing will actually take it completely out and from the looks of it it wont see much of anything. This mod might get the CEL light to turn off, but could also cause the car to switch back and forth from open to closed loop a lot as well. The ecu typically relies on more then just the CTS to know whether or not the engine has reached proper operating temps. This could potentially hurt gas mileage greatly. I'll be interested to see the results of this piece.

Charles
But isn't this for the 2nd sensor? In that case all I ever thought that sensor was for was to make sure the cat. is working properly and not any a/f adjustments, that's what the first one is for. So the 2nd sensor shouldn't have any say to the computer whether to run in closed or not.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why wouldnt a normal antifouler do the trick?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

* Watching this thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

The Second O2 is solely an emmissions check... not an wideband A/F sensor, so the engine doesn't make changes based on its readings, solely pops an idiot light if tolerances aren't met...

That would alert you on a stock car to possible precat failure or other exhaust issues...

I like that this one is bent, as it may allow us antifouler people to run aftermarket s-pipes, without worry that our o2 will hit the frame....
Old 11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
I like that this one is bent, as it may allow us antifouler people to run aftermarket s-pipes, without worry that our o2 will hit the frame....
Im running the CC s-pipe w/ antifouler and have no rubbing problems. In fact Ive never had a CEL with my Alphwerks/anti-fouler setup with stock or CC s-pipe.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Monster Motorworks CEL Light Fix for Headers. ( Pictures

Originally Posted by monstermotorworks
We will be selling these O2 Adapters very soon.
We would like to test it for a few more weeks to make sure we have no CEL LIGHTS.
Thanks for the new product.
I am all for thorough testing of your new product to make sure that it not only clears the Check Engine Light (CEL) but it also doesn't affect gas milage in a negative way.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Second O2 is solely an emmissions check... not an wideband A/F sensor, so the engine doesn't make changes based on its readings, solely pops an idiot light if tolerances aren't met...

That would alert you on a stock car to possible precat failure or other exhaust issues...

Never said anything about it being an A/F sensor. The engine DOES make changes based on its readings. It makes corrections based on the hydrocarbon count in the exhaust along with other things. Cars use 02 readings along with coolant temp readings ect ect to adjust timing when you are at partial throttle. Ever hear someone complain about bad gas mileage when their 02 goes bad? 02's do MUCH more then just "pop an idiot light".

Like I said, this might keep the light from comming on, but I don't know if the design is the best idea because the sensor is not going to see circulated exhaust gases. Who knows, it might work perfectly on our cars with no effect at all. Hence the reason for the testing that MMW is doing right now. Im not slamming them at all. At least they are doing the R&D before they release their product.

Charles
Old 11-23-2005, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think the original anti fouler $4 thingy would be your best bet if anything
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz

Never said anything about it being an A/F sensor. The engine DOES make changes based on its readings. It makes corrections based on the hydrocarbon count in the exhaust along with other things. Cars use 02 readings along with coolant temp readings ect ect to adjust timing when you are at partial throttle. Ever hear someone complain about bad gas mileage when their 02 goes bad? 02's do MUCH more then just "pop an idiot light".

Like I said, this might keep the light from comming on, but I don't know if the design is the best idea because the sensor is not going to see circulated exhaust gases. Who knows, it might work perfectly on our cars with no effect at all. Hence the reason for the testing that MMW is doing right now. Im not slamming them at all. At least they are doing the R&D before they release their product.

Charles
And what he's trying to say is the 2nd O2 (the one this is made for) doesn't do all that, but is solely emissions....it's the first O2 sensor that does what you are saying...why would a second sensor in or after a cat make adjustments since the cat. changes the hydrocarbon count in the exhaust and it wouldn't be an accurate reading?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what we have been researching, the second O2 just checks the exhaust gasses to make sure the Cat is working and make sure its running clean.

We played with many different configurations, this is not just our first crack at this.
We have played with many different lengths, diameters, and bends.
This came out on top after 20 different versions.

SO im keeping my fingers crossed and making sure this is the final version.
BUT as of now, we have not got any change in Gas Mileage and the A/F readiongs are normal, with no CEL's.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Will the final product be shipped to current customers and included in future shipments to avoid CEL's in the future as originally stated?

Originally Posted by monstermotorworks
What did we do to not make the header throw a CEL light?
That all comes with experience with fabricating race headers.

In short I cant tell you how we designed it to not throw a CEL light WITHOUT A ANTIFOULER.

But our headers DO NOT throw a CEL Light.
I don't mean to throw that up again as someone did before, but that statement was a deciding factor for me originally on your header, and when I was ready to purchase there were (some) CEL lights with the very limited amount of headers hand made. From design, it makes sense for a 4-2-1 to reduce possibilities of throwing a code on the 2nd sensor, but when companies state their product will or will not do something, and that is proven otherwise, that is a problem. This is a solution to fix some of the problems out there that may or may not have swayed a customer's purchase from the beginning. Also being the headers are not mass produced, and this is apparantly not a widespread problem, supplying past and future customers with the non-electronic solution will set you even farther from the competition. On-top of highest horsepower, highest HP/dollar ratio and hand-made craftsmanship you'd then have the CEL-less, non-electronic solution out of the box, along with my purchase.

Thank you for the development of a non-proprietary fix for the community, and keep up the good work.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks alot Otocan.

I know i got my very own words shoved back into my face, but we did not have a CEL light for some time, and out of the Blue they start coming on.

At any rate, i am not here to sell this product but to really offer a solution to a big problem that is common with TC's with Headers.

We will start selling this with our headers once it's finally confirmed.

Till then it's still only a Product from the drawing board that we have had about 20 versions of..
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

whats ur price for this piece?

Quick Reply: Monster Motorworks CEL Light Fix for Headers. ( Pictures )