Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Monster Motorworks Header Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default Monster Motorworks Header Problem

So I have the monster motorworks header and midpipe and I can't pass emissions. I am going to try and do that antifouler trick but knowing me it's prolly not gonna work. If I was going to buy stock tc headers would that solve my problem? Would the stock headers even connect to the MMW midpipe?

Thanks

P.S. If it would solve my problem and connect to the MMW midpipe I would be looking to buy stock headers from someone. I would even trade my MMW for a stock one.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

BTW i'm actually not sure if it is a MMW midpipe, its a MMW pipe that connects directly to the headers..spipe/midpipe? not sure
Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about Indiana, but in CA, if the smog referee sees the antifouler during the visual inspection, it is an automatic fail. There are a couple other states that have stringent smog testing as well.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the monster motor works header removes the primary cat so yes. if you put a stock header and spipe on you should pass emissions.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try the antifouler trick, a new stock header will cost you more than the mmw header.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol

i put a header on my car and i wont pass emissions.... whats the problem with my header.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
lol

i put a header on my car and i wont pass emissions.... whats the problem with my header.

lol x2
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

ok why do you not have the stock header to put back on for this time of year when you need to pass emissions.........

depends on if your inspection uses the OBDII to test or sticks a sensor in the pipe.....if OBDII the car is failing because you have a code saying cat failure.......

even the sniffer though should be fine as you still have a cat on the mid pipe.......unless you took that off too......

stock header will not hook up to the MMW S pipe,you will need a spipe to connect stock header to the mid pipe........

I would suggest this.........check your local area.......Indiana......yep there are tons of Scion owners there who are on the local SL forum.I am sure they can help you by loaning for a day the stock header and spipe.....just gotta ask.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is why you always keep your stock parts =P
Old 11-15-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
lol

Hahaha no kidding. People really need to do research before modifying their cars. If he did research he would see that there is NO LEGAL Header or Intake for tCs which would make it fail a smog test lol.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

100 shipped for my stock header if your interested
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay...

1. a brand new stock header is not THAT expensive, it is 343.00

2. depending on your state laws, you can pass with an aftermarket header on the car. in MD, i passed with a supercharger, mmw header and s-pipe, and 3 inch exhaust with a high flow cat, resonator and muffler, oh, and my exhaust was over 140 decibels at WOT. (i simply let the clutch in in first gear without giving it any gas to crawl through the inspection station.) in MD, for cars newer than i believe 1997, all they do is check the gas cap is there, and for any CEL and hook up an OBDII computer. so long as everything checks out, you pass, no visual inspection or anything. oh, and no exhaust leaks and no noticeable smoke coming out of the exhaust for more than like 10 seconds or something.

3. when are you due for inspection? what does that inspection consist of? is it like my state in MD where they barely seem to care? or is it like **** california with their CARB nonsense?

4. anti-foulers work, they do, i had the CEL eliminator with my weapon-r header, i would get exactly one CEL a year, and just clear it with my scangaugeII, for some reason it was every spring...never figured out why.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
okay...

1. a brand new stock header is not THAT expensive, it is 343.00

2. depending on your state laws, you can pass with an aftermarket header on the car. in MD, i passed with a supercharger, mmw header and s-pipe, and 3 inch exhaust with a high flow cat, resonator and muffler, oh, and my exhaust was over 140 decibels at WOT. (i simply let the clutch in in first gear without giving it any gas to crawl through the inspection station.) in MD, for cars newer than i believe 1997, all they do is check the gas cap is there, and for any CEL and hook up an OBDII computer. so long as everything checks out, you pass, no visual inspection or anything. oh, and no exhaust leaks and no noticeable smoke coming out of the exhaust for more than like 10 seconds or something.

3. when are you due for inspection? what does that inspection consist of? is it like my state in MD where they barely seem to care? or is it like **** california with their CARB nonsense?

4. anti-foulers work, they do, i had the CEL eliminator with my weapon-r header, i would get exactly one CEL a year, and just clear it with my scangaugeII, for some reason it was every spring...never figured out why.
Idk about all that in MD, I was just passing mine and took of the Megan Header off just for that. Your ECU will tell 'em that there is no cat and you will fail,
You must have gotten lucky on that one.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

way to go for bumping a year old thread for a stupid response

Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kyrgyz
Idk about all that in MD, I was just passing mine and took of the Megan Header off just for that. Your ECU will tell 'em that there is no cat and you will fail,
You must have gotten lucky on that one.
lol, way to bump an old thread. your car detects the presence of the catalytic converter based on the feedback between the o2 sensors in the exhaust system, one before the cat, and a second one after it. the system is designed to tell if the cat is working, not whether or not it is there. so if you trick the car into thinking it is working, then mission accomplished, and you pass emissions.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
lol, way to bump an old thread. your car detects the presence of the catalytic converter based on the feedback between the o2 sensors in the exhaust system, one before the cat, and a second one after it. the system is designed to tell if the cat is working, not whether or not it is there. so if you trick the car into thinking it is working, then mission accomplished, and you pass emissions.
Actually you would only fool the computer and as soon as the smog sniffer goes in the pipe it will know if the emissions are being burned at all. If no emissions are being burned, the sniffer will tell the smog computer and you fail the test. All catalytic converters burn the emissions to convert it to cleaner waste and the sniffer knows this. If your vehicle is not burning the emissions correctly, even though your check engine light is off, you will still fail smog.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyPnOtIk
Hahaha no kidding. People really need to do research before modifying their cars. If he did research he would see that there is NO LEGAL Header or Intake for tCs which would make it fail a smog test lol.
untrue, early on there was a header with cat beneath it all in one piece
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea and that ended up in most peoples garbage
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Megan was the only one to offer an aftermarket header with a catalytic converter, it was short lived as it didn't sell well I guess.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho....php?p=3252294
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Simple, do the anti-fouler trick so you don't throw a check-engine light and get a brand new cat put in after your mid pipe, run it for about 100 miles then go in for emissions. You should be good.

Quick Reply: Monster Motorworks Header Problem