Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 AM

Default My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate

im desperate for any kind of info here i will tell you the situation with all honesty so i can get teh best answer...i drive my car hard every day and yes i rev to 5500-6k (can they tell i did that?)..i put a cat back exhaust on my car (not scion-voided warranty?) my check engine light was on b4 the incident its been on many times since i owned it( no i never checked up on it just did regular oil changes ) i never kept receipts for the oil changes (stupid i know) the last oil change b4 the blow up was 3500 miles ago..i was driving down the road tryin to go past 4500rpms and it was stuck there so i dropped to 3rd to see if i can get past 4500 maybe it was stuck once i dropped it to 4500 i saw a bunch of blue smoke out the back end of my car open the hood and see a golf ball sized hole in the block and no oil cap and oil everywhere.
what do i do this is serious im very tight on money and i cant imagine paying until 2011 for a car that doesnt work because its not covered under warranty and i cant fix it im almost to tears right now and havent made the call to a dealer yet its too late but i just know it wont be covered i feel like ____ and suicide has even crossed my mind ..how sick is that..i saw a post here with someone having teh same situation and how it would cost 16k $ for a replacement i cant do this
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 AM

heres my options if they deny me
---
trade this car in and get -$15000 i have no clue what they would give for a car i still owe 12k $ on
get a loan for a bank for 2 or 3k $ and get a beater
get an apartment really close to where i work and walk to work and back each day
Old 09-05-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

email me i maybe able to help, and no....it' won't cost 16k that's insane rent_a_reaper hotmail
Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2-3k will get u a used motor off ebay
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your still paying on your loan shouldn't you have full coverage?wouldn't this cover it?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

most likely the insurance won't cover a blown motor....it doesn't fall under comprehensive or collision.....so.....better off to go ebay a motor for a few grand and save money by putting it in yourself.....
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 AM

I Have a 60 month warranty but in the booklet it says voided if i have after market parts or misuse (racing) and i never had repairs done at dealer
Old 09-05-2007, 01:53 AM

I Could keep it outside and wait for it to hail and then claim that and hope for a total loss -.- i dont know i really dont have money to buy a motor and do u think im in a bad spot here and wont get it covered under my 60month warr?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea but its also voided if you dont take care of the car properly. and no oil cap pretty much constitutes not taking care of it properly if you ask me.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how the hell is the oil cap missing? sounds like someone forgot to put it back on. lose of oil, then boom..
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM

shaken lose i dont know but it was on there the last time i checked
Old 09-05-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by DestroyedTC
heres my options if they deny me
---
trade this car in and get -$15000 i have no clue what they would give for a car i still owe 12k $ on
get a loan for a bank for 2 or 3k $ and get a beater
get an apartment really close to where i work and walk to work and back each day
you have more options than that:
if your credit is good enough, get a "personal" loan (unsecured loan) for a few thousand and replace the engine

or hitch a ride to work with someone till you can save up the cash....

you shouldn't look at this as a catastrophe.....i'd look at it as a great opportunity to get a motor and rebuild it however fast you want it to be
Old 09-05-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

found something for you!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-05-2007, 02:47 AM

ya i saw that ..doesnt look like a shop seller who knows if that thing works or not hate to be pesamistic but at this point i have to be dont want to spend 2k on a engine that dont work
Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well... looking at a CEL and never troubleshooting was a VERY bad choice. If you have hit the rev limiter, it will show up in the ecu as well.

Your best bet if warranty doesnt cover it is to buy a used long block (block and head with internals) and swap it out. And if they see a hole in your block they will be smart enough to know it was driven like a dog, severely over revved and destroyed. A failure of the oiling system or similar warranty related issue would not cause it to fail like that at all.

Good luck, but when you get it fixed, get it checked out when it is telling you things (CEL) so you dont end up in the same boat. Not sure if the code was related to the issue, but it isnt wise to ignore it.

Just search salvage yards that will warranty the part to some degree. Some will at least warranty that they run and dont smoke if they have low mileage on them. Stay local and you will have an easier time dealing with it. There should be plenty of tCs out there wrecked given the way the little ricer kiddies drive em!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Do you have any pictures? Plug up an obd code reader and see what codes it pulls aswell. Neglet the fact you beat the ____ out of the car when you talk to your dealer though. The place you got your oil changes from will keep your information in their system and get an oil cap on the car and call toyota. The absolute worst they can do is say no. BTW all those bull____ services they say to have done have nothing to do with the engine except for changing the air filter. Its mainly all inspect stuff. I feel bad for the people who pay for that crap to get done.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had the exact same thing happen to me, except I had a supercharger. My car is an early 2006, which from what I have heard has problems like some 2005 motors.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...236471#2236471
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm... except in this case... there was a definite sign of neglect..

come on man.. driving around with a CEL? you know that's the reason why you couldn't rev past a certain amount...
the car was preventing you from doing exactly what you did... blow up the engine.

all you can do now is fork up the money for a new one.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
hmm... except in this case... there was a definite sign of neglect..

come on man.. driving around with a CEL? you know that's the reason why you couldn't rev past a certain amount...
the car was preventing you from doing exactly what you did... blow up the engine.

all you can do now is fork up the money for a new one.
Very true, mine was more sudden.... if I had warnings like the OP, I wouldn't have blown my motor.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yeah.. i'm sorry.. it sucks... but there's not much else you can really do.

Quick Reply: My 2005 tC engine blown - what do i do im desperate