Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My 2006 tC died a mile away from my house, what could be wrong?(Throttle body broken)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

like i said, might be as easy as cleaning the maf or something thatll cost you less than $10.

let us know what codes you come up with when you get it scanned.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my suggestion is look on craiglist and find a mobile mechanic that nears u, pay someone $30-50 to check.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had problems with my MAF sensor it occured after a minor accident with the sensor (i wont go into it I dont want to get flame by other ScionLife users and bring down my self esteem down) but it occured while I was changing my Intake...

Anyway after the small accident my check engine light came on...

when the car was idle, meaning just sitting there, it seem fine it idle ok but it sounded like it was drowning in a way, the check engine light was on, if you accelerated or ref the car past 1.5 rpms it would sound like it was drowning (kinda sounded like a subaru hahaha) but far worst, and it would stall and turn off. If you tried to start it, it would start if you accelerated past 1.5 RPMs it would stall again...

If you have the same issue specially with the drowning sound (sounds like the car is under water and its blowing bobbles) its def the mass air flow sensor, a quick code reader can tell you this.

If it is i'm the sensor is about $60.00 (give or take 10.00 dollars) and I am for sure that anyone in the San Diego area can help you replace it for free in exchange for a quick bite at your local McDs...

also I know most people dont like going to dealerships but durring this accident the dealership replaced it for free because they said it was under warantee...I have the 100,000 mls warantee on my car (i didnt pay extra for it so what the heck right?), the car currently has 66785 and the issue occured around 45989 miles.

hopes this helps.

Oh and if its your MAF sensor Please replace your air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!

your post basically says that you only did oil changes and brakes i think...

proper engine maintance will help you prevent some of these issues....

I know it gets expensive but it will save you money in the long run...I use the recomended schedule by toyota, I hit up my buddies and we do it our selfs, i know about cars but not enough, networking through ScionLife or other forums will help you save money and will help you keep your car maintance up to date...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude im gonna save you butt......

ok first start by unplugging the mass air flow sensor connector..

leave it disconnected and try starting the car.... if the car starts and drive decently then the problem is that sensor and it WILL need to be replaced...luckily on ebay u can get them for dirt cheap but new its an arm n a leg
Old 02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

buying a MAF from ebay is a BAD idea. You should always be sure you are replacing with a new MAF, not a used one, and you can run into people selling parts like hat used on ebay, especially since if you dont know what you are looking for you may not even know it is used. There are some things that should just be purchased new ;)

The check engine light being on with the engine off may not be telling you much. Is it on when the car does run for a short bit?

Getting the code pulled is a definite first step.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the car revs out of control and then dies, you may want to check for major leaks on the intake manifold, or check to see if your throttle body is malfunctioning. i blew a hole in my intake mani before and the car would rev up and then die.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

To be honest, it sounds like a serious failure. Tow it to a mechanic if you don't have an extended warranty, and if you do, then bring it to the dealership.

Thats probably your best and safest bet.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM

I just spoke with the dealership and I have no warranty... : / ...It's going to be all out of pocket ...this blows.

Thanks for the help guys it's very much appreciated =]...
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you get the codes pulled, let us know what they are and we can most likely get you closer to the solution.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

dude quit being a damn tight wad. Its FREE to RENT tools from A LOT of PLACES.

If you really want to know whats going on, get a code reader. Find out if there is a code, post it here and do some searching.

You will NOT know whats going on without finding out yourself, especially if you don't know much about cars. I know a lot about cars as a ______ing defense for the freaking mechanics out there trying to screw you over.

Post asking for advice, and then one of the longest running sl posters give you advice and you say you'll consider it.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't sweat it anymore guys. If he won't listen, might as well let him waste his money that he is so tight with.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
dude quit being a damn tight wad. Its FREE to RENT tools from A LOT of PLACES.

If you really want to know whats going on, get a code reader. Find out if there is a code, post it here and do some searching.

You will NOT know whats going on without finding out yourself, especially if you don't know much about cars. I know a lot about cars as a ______ing defense for the freaking mechanics out there trying to screw you over.

Post asking for advice, and then one of the longest running sl posters give you advice and you say you'll consider it.
What a debbie downer, if you're not going to saying anything productive keey your opinions and thoughts to yourself no need to de-rail.

Originally Posted by RoboCop
I wouldn't sweat it anymore guys. If he won't listen, might as well let him waste his money that he is so tight with.
No need to be pessimistic here.

Well my roommates friend is coming over today with a scanner. I'll post the "codes" as soon as I can.

And Thanks once again for your guys input it is really much appreciated... I just hope I can get this car fixed before I get deployed for a year.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

debbie downer? lol you know nothing of the people around you my friend.

Irregardless you have acted like a ____ to those who were trying to help you. figured a different approach might get through.

Don't expect any advice from me though.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Turns out it was the throttle body that's broken.

Dealer wants: 1,175 for it...at least now I have an idea in regards to prices for the part + labor. It's sad how they inflate the prices so high...

I have a friend (_Nexus_) calling a warehouse at the moment for the part...

how easy would it be for us to install it?

What would you guys recommend? A new or used one from the junkyard?

Thanks,
-Richie

Last edited by Richie619; 03-02-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how is the throttle body broken? it is a weird part to break. is there an actual crack in the body itself? it would be easy for the experienced person at home with the proper tools. call an auto dismantler/junkyard to get the part for cheaper than the dealer if you want to go that route. i would just get one from the junkyard. if it comes from a newer model, like 09 vs 05, the better it is for you.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by bionictony
how is the throttle body broken? it is a weird part to break. is there an actual crack in the body itself? it would be easy for the experienced person at home with the proper tools. call an auto dismantler/junkyard to get the part for cheaper than the dealer if you want to go that route. i would just get one from the junkyard. if it comes from a newer model, like 09 vs 05, the better it is for you.

According to the dealer the "Flap" is broken and stiff to move.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the butterfly valve or small motor controlling it is broken. your car is at the dealer now?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Richie619
Car Mileage? 50-70k
Am I the only one who noticed this?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Am I the only one who noticed this?
nope

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
how does your car have 50-70K...
thats a pretty big diff.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

call junk yard's for a tc motor go there remove the throttle body then go home and swap it with your's it's not really hard to remove

Quick Reply: My 2006 tC died a mile away from my house, what could be wrong?(Throttle body broken)