Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: What is the status of your Competition Clutch?
I own a CC clutch and it hasn't failed.
17.02%
I owned a CC Clutch and it failed.
25.53%
I do not own a CC Clutch.
57.45%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Need a Clutch Recommendation? NOT COMPETITION CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried a few times, but since I couldn't replicate the problem for them, they refused to warranty it.

It's really odd. Sometimes I go months without it happening. Every once-in-a-blue-moon I just can't shift into any gear. And yes, it has been happening randomly since I got the tC brand new with 8 miles on it back in October 2005.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont mind me.. just posting another comp clutch FAIL!!!!!!!!!

im saving up not to take mines out and their flywheel.... i cant stand it anymore with this BS

BTW this is not my comp clutch.. although i know mine just started failing again for the 3rd time.. and it hasnt been 7k miles...

Last edited by TCpete; 07-02-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dislike they're clutch materials.

Last edited by JROK_TC; 07-01-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: better pete?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exedy Twin disc FTW!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clutch Masters Stage 4 6puck FTW!!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Exedy Twin disc FTW!
with as much money as dezod motorsports caused me to drop since my first purchase i could have had a twin disc already by someone else and not have all the problems ive had for the last 1.5 yrs almost..

go figure... the ironies of life

Last edited by TCpete; 07-02-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i have CM twin disc and works sexy fine
Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea because its not a comp clutch justin lol
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good thing I did my research before buying a new clutch and went with the Exedy Stage 2 Clutch. I didn't realize that many people were having issues with Comp Clutches. I got my clutch broken in now and I cannot believe how well it handles the power. I could not be more satisfied with it. It does not slip at all when im boosting over 12 psi. So I would have to second that Exedy Stage 2 clutch is a great recommendation for the tC.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i voted "i had one and it failed"'

lol im on my 3rd competition clutch, first one went in 1 year, i got the second cus i thought the first one was my fault, the 2nd one blew up in a week (springs shot out) and they sent me a new one for free (upgraded it to the next level for me for free with free overnight shipping).

the product is junk but i have no complaints about their customer service.

i will not how ever be buying another CC clutch.... ever
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
i voted "i had one and it failed"'

lol im on my 3rd competition clutch, first one went in 1 year, i got the second cus i thought the first one was my fault, the 2nd one blew up in a week (springs shot out) and they sent me a new one for free (upgraded it to the next level for me for free with free overnight shipping).

the product is junk but i have no complaints about their customer service.

i will not how ever be buying another CC clutch.... ever
Damn that's gotta suck. Are you having any issues with the 3rd one? If that goes out on you Id go with the Exedy.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dave man that sucks.. im on my 3rd also but i will not be taking a 4th for free.. im going to look into getting my friggin money back... and personally flying over to comp clutch and delivering it myself if i dont get money back...

i PMed comp clutch about this thread... what a shock... no one PMed me back or emailed me or posted in this thread NOR the comp clutch thread they created themselves.. F on customer service and F on product..
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Yes this one is starting to freak me out but I gotta say the stage 2 is much better than the stage 1. But exedy will be my next one
Old 07-04-2010, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This worrys me I had my cc stage 4 clutch for over a year now with about 12,000 miles on it. I feel its just a matter of time before it fails.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and this is what happens when u have a comp clutch...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3631318_n.jpg

........ i hope they have deep pockets cuz im about to blow it up on them once i fix this for the 4th time in a year and a half or more....
Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Only resellers have a chance of getting the seriousness of this across to Competition Clutch. If Competition Clutch sees that their products aren't being offered it will affect their bottom line and will take proactive instead of retroactive steps to prevent it.

*UPDATE* Mike @ PTUNING has pulled Competition Clutches for the tC from their website. He also said PTUNING has yet to sell a Competition Clutch for the tC and usually are seen in S2000 applications with a far less frequent failure rate.

Thanks PTUNING!

Last edited by ecko04; 07-06-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*UPDATE* Mike @ PTUNING has pulled Competition Clutches for the tC from their website.

good to hear
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to post pics of the CC clutch FAILURE AGAIN soon when i get everything together... 3rd time failed.. this time AGAIN for the same reason the first one... faulty cluch springs that came out...

gotta love a 300+TQ rated clutch not being able to handle sub 200 TQ daily driving like a granny for fear it would break...

lets see what CC tells me this time around >=[
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
with as much money as dezod motorsports caused me to drop since my first purchase i could have had a twin disc already by someone else and not have all the problems ive had for the last 1.5 yrs almost..

go figure... the ironies of life
Pete,

I'm not sure why we are the bad guys here? How does this make sense?

We didn't put a gun to your head. You ordered your clutch, flywheel and mounts on 7/14/08 from us. We gave you free shipping as well.

We didn't make the clutch. Competition has stepped up to the plate by making some changes to the clutches. However they have failed.

We spoke to the rep each and every time you have had problems on your behalf. We convinced them to send you a replacement clutch on the last warranty when they weren't going to send you one at all. I understand your frustration but please don't take it out on us. We do what we can to help our customers. And if it weren't for us you wouldn't have received a replacement at all, even if it was crap.

We went the extra mile for you. So why are you trying to make us look like _______s?

We have a very good long standing relationship with CC. Until they can get their product straight we have removed the ability to order it off of our website, instead you must call and we can discuss the possible issues you might have. Then if you really have to have it then so be it.

Last edited by DezodDon; 07-12-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when YOU guys talked to comp clutch i was promised all the issues and flaws in the design were taken care of... I was told 8 months after my purchase when the original one had failed they had revamped the design of the throw out bearing and the clutch disc... ok great.. i get a new clutch....

when YOU guys got me the replacement clutch paul had told me the "NEW" throw out bearing design was better, stronger, and more reliable then the "old" design i got... well its funny i was promised all this and that i wouldnt have any other issue... but only 2k miles later this "NEW THROW OUT BEARING" design IT FAILED!

Name:  PART951255374705548.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  10.1 KB
Name:  downsize-1-1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  downsize-2-1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  31.7 KB
Name:  downsize-3-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  44.4 KB
Name:  downsize-3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  57.0 KB

i still have it all wrapped up in a nice bag for you guys if you and comp clutch wana play some tossing games on a coke bottle if you want?

so fine i was in a pinch and decided to keep the disc and pressure plate after this colossal fail and BUY A NEW CLUTCH FORK because the old one had roasted itself and buy an OEM throw out from toyota and put the car back together because i had no time and no more patience for dezod to get me another cluth/throw out bearing any anything period for that matter because frankly why should i believe you guys 1 more time after the first debacle.

everything got installed.. i was able to drive again... and 5k miles later.. GUESS WHAT?! ... this new improved clutch design blew on me AGAIN!!!! ...and this new design LASTED HALF THE LIFE of the other one... in fact... the original pressureplate and clutch felt better, and was stronger then this new design...... GO FIGURE!!

Name:  DSC08995.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  DSC08996.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  DSC08994.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  90.1 KB
Name:  DSC08993.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  96.9 KB

aint that something????? ... so now we have in under 7k miles.. a grenaded throw out bearing and a clutch disc that was gabage even after i was told "yea yea pete dont worry CC took care of alllll the issues and you should be good"..... REALLY??????????????? .... MY 40K mile stock clutch looked brand new and better then this after 40-45k miles... luckily i saved it and my stock flywheel and was able to fix this issue IN THE POURING RAIN!! because i needed the car fixed to go to work the next day after. so if your wondering why it has some rust its because when your fixing a car in a monsoon that is south florida under the gun you dont have to worry about rust or if parts get a little wet... its done.. the car moves.. its sucks... but crap happens and u move on...

oh and lets not go there with what paul made me do and say about this "new clutch" when i got it in order for me to get it... becuase i have all those PMs saved and i can open up a big can of worms if i want to right now....

even the flywheel i was told when i complained about issues it was causing i was told it was normal.. which I KNOW they werent... and after inspecting my starter a few times.. i dawned on me.... I also dont know how you spoke to the rep the last 2 times since they've switched reps and they really havent responded to their feed back thread at all and also havent responded to emails or PMs ive sent even on here... if you guys were doing back talk on the 2nd and 3rd time how come no one told me anything???? again im not buying this.

BTW i got free shipping because i bought about 800 bucks practically worth of parts... so yea you made your money and shipping from upstate NY wasnt much to FL....

oh yea.. my master cylinder blew out also from the oring on the push rod being worn to hell from me having to adjust the clutch every other week when the first one's inconsistant pedal feel had to be readjusted in order for me to even drive or get the car in gear because one day it was good and the next day it felt like stock or finicky... but im willing to let THAT slide because MC's with strong PP's system can fail...

so yea.. after all the lies, and empty promises and failures and TONS of EXTRA CASH ive had to fork over to fix this issue 3 times... you better believe i have a huge chip on my should about dezod and CC when i called and complained about my issues and i was told "OH YEA ITS NORMAL" ... wow i guess its normal for clutches to explode like this also correct???.... i honestly wish you guys DIDNT give me a new clutch because had it broken on me the first time.. i would have and should have gone with someone else.. NO i stayed faithful to comp clutch and dezod because you guys got me the other clutch but had i called them on my own like many of my friends have when their clutchs blown im sure i could have gotten a replacement also.. hell i did it for one of my friend with a honda and tc and it was pretty easy.. only they sold their replacements and went other routes and wow.. no problems yet for them....but i stayed faithful to you guys and CC and look were its gotten me!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!.... so over 1.5 yrs roughly, almost under 25k miles and over $1300 bucks later in original parts/ new parts to replace broken ones, labor to my buddies to help me out in pinch situations, tow trucks, and etc etc etc.... ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH....

Last edited by TCpete; 07-20-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Need a Clutch Recommendation? NOT COMPETITION CLUTCH