Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need a new cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need a new cat

2005 tC. I need a new Manifold/cat. Buying from the dealer is pretty expensive. Does anyone have recommendations on a quality aftermarket that wont break the bank or is OEM the way to go? I also have heard that once you replace the cat, you have to get the ECM reflashed. Is this true? I wouldn't think so but knowing the way electronics and emissions now days I wouldn't be surprised either.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dezod has a new Green header for sale: http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motorsports_4-1.cfm

It will fix your problem and give you a boost in performance.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the Dezod link. That's as much as a stock cat and gasket where I live. They're charging $438.00 for the cat and another $86.00 for the gasket. I was thinking somewhere around $300 - $350
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but this comes with moar powah, which makes it a better investment over an OEM replacement! lol
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried petco or petsmart?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have any of you guys tried the CEL Eliminator? I found it on the mustang forums. I contacted the company and they say that it does work on the Scions also. I have emissions coming up at the end of May and I thought this might be a short term answer until I decide if I'm going to go OEM or aftermarket. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kik
Have any of you guys tried the CEL Eliminator? I found it on the mustang forums. I contacted the company and they say that it does work on the Scions also. I have emissions coming up at the end of May and I thought this might be a short term answer until I decide if I'm going to go OEM or aftermarket. Let me know your thoughts.
Yes, they work. I had one on my tC when I had a catless header and then later turbo. I would only throw P0420 once a year, usually at the start of spring. Don't know why, but I'd clear it and it would go away for another year.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
I would only throw P0420 once a year, usually at the start of spring. Don't know why, but I'd clear it and it would go away for another year.

Do they oxiginate the gas in spring & summer seasons?? They do that here in az. Always get cel and gas issues w/ customers.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I bought and installed the CEL eliminator on the car. I have put around 400 miles on since then and I took the car to my local mechanic last night. I asked him to run his scanner on the car in real time to see if everything was set as ready and to see how the cat was doing. He said to take it to emissions that it would pass with no problems. So it looks like all is good for awhile until I can find a new cat or an aftermarket manifold as draxcaliber suggested.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kik
Well, I bought and installed the CEL eliminator on the car. I have put around 400 miles on since then and I took the car to my local mechanic last night. I asked him to run his scanner on the car in real time to see if everything was set as ready and to see how the cat was doing. He said to take it to emissions that it would pass with no problems. So it looks like all is good for awhile until I can find a new cat or an aftermarket manifold as draxcaliber suggested.
yeah that's just a band aid fix for now. Have you checked out rockauto.com? I saw some walker brand manifold/cats over there for cheaper. Just looked it up $360 WALKER Part # 16398 ..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...482&cc=1430774

for a description and yup comes with all the hardware and gasket!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5860

that should find it.. otherwise go to rockauto.com and find it under exhaust
Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
yeah that's just a band aid fix for now. Have you checked out rockauto.com? I saw some walker brand manifold/cats over there for cheaper. Just looked it up $360 WALKER Part # 16398 ..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...482&cc=1430774

for a description and yup comes with all the hardware and gasket!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5860

that should find it.. otherwise go to rockauto.com and find it under exhaust
Hey thanks for the info....I'll check them out. I still have to wait about a month before I do anything. I just had to put a new timing belt and water pump on the wifes CTS. I'm kinda broke at this point, but it's not a problem right now because the weather has come around and I can ride the motorcycle to and from work and let the tc sit.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kik
Hey thanks for the info....I'll check them out. I still have to wait about a month before I do anything. I just had to put a new timing belt and water pump on the wifes CTS. I'm kinda broke at this point, but it's not a problem right now because the weather has come around and I can ride the motorcycle to and from work and let the tc sit.
yep i know how that is when I'm fixing mine as well, sometimes that brake noise just has to squeal a little longer til i have the money thought i'd mention rockauto as they've been saving my dad lots of money as I've had him order lots of parts as I refurbish his old car.