Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New Supercharger News

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aiight, first off dont hate, im just curious.

now i bought an auto tC for me and my girl (dont want to teach her how to drive stick with a new car, the only stick she's driving is ..... )

anyways, what the downside (if any) to SC an automatic? I know someone who has Jackson SC on his SS 5th gen Prelude, and hasnt had any issues at all. Been going strong 2 years now.

I just think it would be sick to boost it, even if its minimal. So no hatin', I've been online on diff. car forums long enough to know what kind of replies I'll get, so its all good. (and many dont answer my question in detail) No hurt feelings
Old 04-01-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by eujin
aiight, first off dont hate, im just curious.

now i bought an auto tC for me and my girl (dont want to teach her how to drive stick with a new car, the only stick she's driving is ..... )

anyways, what the downside (if any) to SC an automatic? I know someone who has Jackson SC on his SS 5th gen Prelude, and hasnt had any issues at all. Been going strong 2 years now.

I just think it would be sick to boost it, even if its minimal. So no hatin', I've been online on diff. car forums long enough to know what kind of replies I'll get, so its all good. (and many dont answer my question in detail) No hurt feelings
I dont forsee an issue with the sc on the auto for the tC . The only difference is that the under normal driving, it will shift before the higher boost range is reached... but if you go WOT (wide open throttle) which will keep it in a lower gear longer, you should really get the benefit out of it. Now keep in mind, we have to set in stone specs or data on it yet, so this is partially a guess.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Monarch
you guys are idiots
Go look up intercooler at www.howstuffworks.com Everyone here was trying to be helpful because you obviously didnt understand how intercoolers/forced induction works. I dont see the need to bash people for trying to be helpful. We dont need your kind on this site.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Monarch is probably embarassed enough. Let's all move on, shall we?

I just think it would be sick to boost it, even if its minimal. So no hatin', I've been online on diff. car forums long enough to know what kind of replies I'll get, so its all good.
Nothing wrong with adding forced induction to an automatic. People do it all the time. My last car was a WRX and they sold plenty of those in an automatic. Maybe a turbo/SC standard might be more fun, or faster, or easier to race or whatever, but there is one thing I can tell you for sure... An automatic with a supercharger is sure as hell more fun than an automatic without one.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Personally, I found his info helpful. I was not sure why a SC needed an intercooler since I hadn't heard of one being offered before. After reading the posted info on the workings and why, I understand exactly why it is needed.

As far as whether the 42hp is with high flow exhaust or not is beyond me and my source. I posted exactly what he was ableto find out so far. He is still looking into it for me so I will keep you guys updated on what he says regardless of the ones in here hating on the others.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks to engifineer and neuromonic for the input. guess its gonna be promising for me to do it then. time to start saving for the SC, hehe
Old 04-02-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If toyota/scion actually knewn what horsepower gains were they would have it on their website with a dyno, until then everything said is just a rumor.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
If toyota/scion actually knewn what horsepower gains were they would have it on their website with a dyno, until then everything said is just a rumor.
nah...i would never expect a dyno sheet from scion. ever.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually on certain cars using an automatic with forced induction results in better performance than with a manual because the closer gear ratios keep the RPM's in the power range better.

Now on the tC its a 4 speed automatic against a 5 speed manual. So with that 5th gear the advantage would go back the manual, assuming the driver really knows how to row the boat.

I wonder if the SC is going to need an upgraded clutch. The more I think about it the more I think it is going to be a factory-only "package" that includes exhaust, intake, SC, maybe an intercooler, and maybe an upgraded clutch. And probably some special badging too.

Probably like the SS line cheby make...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Possibly but there is no more news so far on any of it. I am bugging my guy for more news as we speak so he is trying his best.

Double: When did I ever say that this wasn't a rumor. I just said it was from a very realiable source. Until press release on the website, this is all just hearsay even to me. Just thought the rest of you might like to hear what my sources say......
Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, sheep, keep us posted please. you are the closest person we have to an inside man within scion.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by Monarch
Do you understand that there is no need for an intercooler cause it doesnt run off the exhaust gases. It runs from a CAI
That has nothing to do with it. When you compress air (via a turbo or sc) it heats up. The higher energy due to the compression causes heat. This means you are applying more pressure to the cylinders.. but the warmer air means it is less dense. The intercooler counters part of this by cooling the air, so you are inducing more dense air. It is the density you want to increase, not simply the pressure. More air molecules per square inch means you can pump in more fuel per stroke. (I know, I said stroke )

Usually you can guestimate the output of the turbo or supercharger in this way. Say you are adding 7.35 psi of boost (which happens to be half of atmospheric pressure). That means you are adding 50% more air and fuel that a non-aspirated engine. So theoretically you are adding 50% more power. However, due to efficiency loss due to increased backpressure(for the turbo) or parasitic drag(supercharger) the numbers are lower. Usually you will see somewhere around 60 - 70% efficiency I believe for many superchargers. I have been told that the supercharger should produce around 6psi. So if you figure 6/14.7 = 41% increase (theoretical) which is about 66 hp, and then account for the 70% efficiency (rough estimate) you get about 46 HP, which follows the numbers he just gave. So that added to the crank HP of 160 HP equals 206 HP at the crank. Accounting for around 15% loss to the wheels, you should have somewhere around 180 - 185 HP at the wheels if the numbers they expect come true. Again the figures above use assumed or typical values for efficiency, as it will obviously vary from design to design..... now, that will be all of the mister wizard lectures... i need another beer
Everyone and their mother should read this. Thank for the info, dude! I'll read Mr. Wizard lectures like this all day!
Thank you too, Sheep, for your insight. I think as long as we have reasons WHY, we can afford a little more patience with TRD.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Relocation of Battery

Someone mentioned where could an intercooler (aftercooler) fit within the tight confines of a front wheel drive tC.

I was watching Spike TV the other day and they were installing an intercooler into a Super Charged stang. To make room for the cooler they had to move the battery to the trunk. The intercooler kit was ment to fit very snug into the pre-existing battery area under the hood. If this is the case with an (probably) aftermarket cooler, the cargo space beside the spare tire might be a decent place to place the battery. The added benifit of having your battery in your trunk is safety. My ole' mans BMW 5 series has its battery installed in the trunk with a special device that disconnects when the airbags go off. (Less likely chance of a fire)

Anyway, I have almost 2g saved for this infamous SC and its burning a Gdamn whole in my pocket when I could get some nice rims, tires, and Hotchkis sway bars or something!
Does anybody feel what I'm saying?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much more gas do you think that sucker is going to eat up?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mr. Wizard please stand and take a bow . . if you aren't too drunk
Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by j0k3rzwild
Mr. Wizard please stand and take a bow . . if you aren't too drunk
I am bowing...... puking over the railing! Just kidding... glad someone got some good use from my long winded explanation
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info, I needed it!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hitm@n
How much more gas do you think that sucker is going to eat up?
I think that is the question of the day. Same one that I have been wondering but since I now have a new commuter car, I am not sure that I really car about the fuel economy anymore........