Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil consumption/seized engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Angry Oil consumption/seized engine

I own an '07 tc, had it just under a year, still owe $5,000 on it and it has 97,000 miles on it. Never knew about the oil consumption issue so it was never tested.. Always had regular oil changes done and ran OW-20 full synthetic in it.. only had 4 oil changes since if had it btw. I was driving it a week ago, it was going in for an oil change in two days as scheduled and all the sudden It started clacking (pistons) and just seized up within like 200 yards after the noise started (I was on the highway) had to have it towed to a dealership, but will they cover it under warranty even though it hasn't had an oil consumption test done? I did some research after it happened and discovered the info about the engine oil issues and the pdf I found from Toyota about the warranty extends until 10 years after day of manufacturing or 150,000 miles which the car hasn't hit either yet. Anybody have this issue of trying to be It warrantied AFTER seizure? Where do I go from here? I don't have $6,000 to pay to replace an engine myself.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

As far as I know the TSB covers any owner (original or later sold to) as long as it is within 10 years or listed mileage (I don't remember the exact year time frame or distance). I have an 07 that I bought in December 2006 so I'm now out of the extended warranty for the oil consumption.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 AM
SL Member

I read somewhere that the dealer charges like $900 for the tear down diagnosis to see if the car is covered under oil consumption warranty. I bought ours with 159k with a seized engine so it was 9k past warranty anyway. We just pulled a junkyard engine and rebuilt it since all used engines will have the same issue anyway.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question

Originally Posted by Wbrophy35
I own an '07 tc, had it just under a year, still owe $5,000 on it and it has 97,000 miles on it. Never knew about the oil consumption issue so it was never tested.. Always had regular oil changes done and ran OW-20 full synthetic in it.. only had 4 oil changes since if had it btw. I was driving it a week ago, it was going in for an oil change in two days as scheduled and all the sudden It started clacking (pistons) and just seized up within like 200 yards after the noise started (I was on the highway) had to have it towed to a dealership, but will they cover it under warranty even though it hasn't had an oil consumption test done? I did some research after it happened and discovered the info about the engine oil issues and the pdf I found from Toyota about the warranty extends until 10 years after day of manufacturing or 150,000 miles which the car hasn't hit either yet. Anybody have this issue of trying to be It warrantied AFTER seizure? Where do I go from here? I don't have $6,000 to pay to replace an engine myself.
So you have any new updates on your situation?