Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

P0136 code even after replacing the O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default P0136 code even after replacing the O2 sensor

i have about 105k on my tC and it started throwing DTC P0136 about a month ago after i changed oil (it was after 15K; yes i know i do not normally wait that long! i had also put in a can of BG44K and atleast gone two tanks before i got around changing the oil)

P0136 seems to be due to the downstream O2. i replaced it with the original one from trdsparks (denso; same part no).

after about 60 miles, the DTC came back on and the car still sounds loud.

any suggestions on what should i look for and in what order ? could it be an exhaust leak which would be a pain to find i think if that is the problem.

everything on my car is stock.

i would like to see if i can find the problem and fix it myself before taking it to my mechanic. :--)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a an article that i had found on possible causes for a loud engine (it includes bad o2 sensor):

https://www.yourmechanic.com/service...mal-inspection

Not sure if our tC has a code for each of these issues or if they could be covered under P0136.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so quick update: the donut was missing on the front exhaust pipe ! after it was installed, the car sounded normal again which made me very happy :--) i will clear the code and i don't expect it to set again.

i was going through my my service records and realized that i had the front exhaust pipe replaced in 8/2014 with an aftermarket one and i am sure that the donut was still stock.

anyway, that it was not anything major.

hope this helps somebody.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

Thanks for posting this. It's funny but most of the time an O2 sensor throws a code, it really isn't the sensor. I'm glad you found your air leak.