Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Is the performance boost from the exhaust and CAI noticable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default Is the performance boost from the exhaust and CAI noticable?

I was thinking about going for the Cold Air Intake and the Sport muffler. However will I notice a big increase in acceleration or is the boost you get from these mods marginal?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably not, it will sound nice tho, i put the injen exhaust on my car it sounds sick, but it actually made my car slower, deffinatly noticable low end torque is gone
Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will have a slight increase.... Very slight. Look at it this way. ~$500 for just about 5hp overall.

You're better off with something like a lightened crank pulley (roughly 10hp/10tq). Or a flywheel (installed yourself if you can) which would also give you roughly 10hp and torque.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member

Based on that I may just go with the TRD quickshifter. At the dealership they had a car on the floor with the quickshifter installed and it felt really really nice.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont buy trd its way overpriced, if u want a short shifter i highly recommend the twm stage 2, its shifts awesome and its perfect hieght, its not even close to being too short, best one out there
Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But a short shifter yourself and install it yourself. They will charge about 4 hours labor, the part will be about 250-300$ itself; you can get one for ~120$ and have it installed in an hour yourself.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$120? Psh, you can get one for $70ish even. Just avoid ebay ones. The Creative Compacts short shifter is cheap. I got my Megan short shifter for just $73.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

a cai and a muffler? no.

the cai will give a nice suction whistle, and the muffler will sound pretty cool, but that's about it
Old 10-01-2006, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I did not want to drop all of that money if the performance boost was going to be minimal.

Someone told me that with a CAI you get better gas mileage. Is this just a load of BS?

Anyone have a link to a good online retailer that has some quickshifters for a 07 TC?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriveEuro
Or a flywheel (installed yourself if you can) which would also give you roughly 10hp and torque.

intake and exhaust no matter what brand will most likely yeild low end loss and a few HP gain AT THE PEAK! If youre auto or dont drive under 4K RPM most of the time, $ may be spent better elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why did you quote me? you didn't even say anything about the flywheel....?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

CC short shifter is $70, i love mine. the TRD one is a waste, doesn't lower the shifter at all and only decreases throws i think not even 20%
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a K2 Motorsports shifter. Full assembly. 55% reduction in shift and moves the shifter 1 inch right. Angle of the cables is dramatically changed from stock but still aligned with stock mounts. I got mine 78$ shipped off of Ebay through the K2 Motorsports store. The same one directly from their website was 20$ more. I've had it on for 10K and have run it quite hard periodically. Shifts are amazingly short and tight.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

in the latest edition of import tuner, they dynoed the stock tc, and added some bolt ons (cai, header, exhaust).....and the numbers goes as follows.....for cai, the tc gained 5.4 hp, and 2.5 torque at around 6000 rpm.....the exhaust 3.0 put out 3.1 hp, and 3.0 torque at around 6000 rpm too. the header yielded 7.5 hp, and 1.5 torque at around 6000 rpm too......so in general the gains would be aout 16 hp, and 7 tq.....the base run for the tc that they got was 149.7 hp, and 154 tq.....i guess it is a gain, but not enough to be like wow, my car is so much faster....
Old 10-03-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't know how many of you that posted have those two mods he talked about, but I have just those two mods, nothing else for performance really. I have the Injen CAI and Injen Axle Back. The axle back is great to get rid of the acceleration delay. When I got my car, I stalled it a few times the first couple days cause when you touch the gas pedal, it would take a second for the engine to respond cause of the drive-by-wire system. I was used to driving and ;88 Honda Accord carburated 5 speed, where the throttle cable is directly connected from the gas pedal to the throttle. With the axle back alone it helped eliminate that, plus it sounds really nice. The CAI sounds awesome too, can't say that I can actually feel gains, but according to Injen and the numbers someone just posted about the tC on the dyno, you will get gains, just small ones. I don't know how someone can say the parts the improve the cars ability to breath will lower power. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not trying to start an argument, as that seems to happen quite often on this site, but I'm just saying based on dyno's and my own personal experiance.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a bit more and there's definately an increase over stock, but as stated 2 posts above.........it's not to say "wow, my car is much faster."..........but there is some noticeable difference.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont mean any offense..... please dont take it the wrong way. I'm just doubting that changing to a light weight flywheel will yield 10WHP.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going from close to a 35 lbs flywheel to 8 lbs.............I believe that it may be close to 10. Rotational mass is reduced substantially. No where near what we think about with a light weight crank where you only lose just over 2.5 lbs, but this is close to a 27 lb. drop in rotational spin. I think that with the other mods working in sequence, the gain would be around 10 whp. IMO.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
I dont mean any offense..... please dont take it the wrong way. I'm just doubting that changing to a light weight flywheel will yield 10WHP.
It does. Makes getting up into higher RPMs much quicker and easier. It also helps reduce that stupid clutch problem that all of us experienced at one time or another with the tC (the hesitation from clutch release to gas, bunny hopping and things like that).

The flywheel has been dyno tested to relieve somewhere around 10hp and more than 10ft/lbs toqure. Your RPMs will drop quicker when you let off the gas... but it will rotate quicker with it once you put your foot on the gas.

~$500 for intake/exhaust for only about 5hp (and don't forget the loss of low end torque... )
or
~$300 (plus maybe $200 for install) for the flywheel and a definite increase of hp and torque at the wheels.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A felt a small difference with the CAI.

I felt a huge difference with the header, crank pulley, and full exhaust. The header probably helped the most out of any of the mods, with the megan exhaust in 2nd place.

Quick Reply: Is the performance boost from the exhaust and CAI noticable?