Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Possible Clutch Problem!!!! Red smoke from tranny??? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Possible Clutch Problem!!!! Red smoke from tranny??? *PICS*

I think i blew my clutch yesterday. At least i hope its only my clutch

After i got out of work i went to go start my car and as soon as i stepped on the clutch i heard a pop sound come from my tranny. It was one of those pop sounds that either something popped into place or popped out of place. lol. After that my car wouldn't get into gear while the car was running but once the car is turned off it goes into all the gears.

What do you think it could be??????

I drove all the way home in 2nd gear. Longest ride ever!

btw i have a CC stage 4 clutch with their 12lb flywheel and TWM stage 2 short shifter
Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not sure really but since it wont go in only while the cars on, could it be the syncros have gone bad?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thats what i was told it might be. the same thing happened to my accord and when they took the tranny off, one of the springs on the clutch disc had broken off
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea man i dunno theres alot of pieces in there that could go wrong lol... good luck on it tho, hope its something easy and inexpensive for u...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would hazard a guess that it is one of the clutch springs. mine did the exact same thing as yours, with the exact same symptoms - although it would shift without using the clutch while running (which is how I got it to the dealer).
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah mine go into any gears while the car is running. if i leave it in gear and start the car then i can take off in that gear but the minute i take it out to and try to shift into the next gear it completely locks me out and i cant get back into any gear unless i shut the car off and repeat that whole price
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 AM

Most likely your clutch went, aftermarket discs don't always work well in Toyotas. The springs tend to pop out, as several people have already mentioned.

If you start in 1st, and rev to ~ 3k RPMs before you shift to the next gear you should be able to shift, it's called speed shifting. It does take a bit more effort than with the clutch though.
Basically if you're at the right RPMs the clutch isn't actually required to shift, but it's not the best thing for your transmission long term.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

that's because your car is scared of my car.... didn't that happen after I beat you in that race to the palisade mall??? LOL
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

the syncros maybe? it usually the culprit when it come to changing gears, while on second gear does the car still move or like hold? usually when clutch is worn it runs very slow and rquire you to rev higher to run and maintain speed
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

When I'm in gear it grabs and pulls as if nothing wrong. It's just the minute I take it out of gear I get completely locked out
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^ not sure how this happened but somehow I was logged into my friends account.

Anyhow here's an update:
As I mentioned above in order for the car to move I have to start it in gear.

So I started the car in 1st with my foot on the break and a lot red smoke came out but had no scent to it. After all the red smoke cleared the car went into all gears fine. So halfway to my boys shop it went right back to the way it was before?

Does anybody know what this could be?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No one?!?!?!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by alltracman78
Most likely your clutch went
Can you read it this time?

No one here can tell you for sure what happened, you have to actually look at the car to be 100% certain.

You're going to have to pull the trans and take a look at the clutch.
It stinks, but that's the joys of modifying your car...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I don't know if it is your tranny. Could be a slave cylinder broke off its mount, cable snapped off, or clutch fork broke. I would check all of those. I had a cable break on me in a Hyundai accent and I was stuck in 3rd gear. So check all your cabling and slave cylinder. If it is one of these, than your clutch is getting smoked really hard when you try and start it. Does not sound like the clutch blew to me but it will soon if it keeps up.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by beandip007
I don't know if it is your tranny. Could be a slave cylinder broke off its mount, cable snapped off, or clutch fork broke. I would check all of those. I had a cable break on me in a Hyundai accent and I was stuck in 3rd gear. So check all your cabling and slave cylinder. If it is one of these, than your clutch is getting smoked really hard when you try and start it. Does not sound like the clutch blew to me but it will soon if it keeps up.
I checked the slave cylinder and it looks fine. My tech should be taking down my tranny today hopefully so then i'll have a better idea as to what went wrong
Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
I checked the slave cylinder and it looks fine. My tech should be taking down my tranny today hopefully so then i'll have a better idea as to what went wrong
good luck hopefully its not too expensive.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
good luck hopefully its not too expensive.
Well it wont cost me anything. A member of my team works is a certified toyota tech at the dealership that i used to work for and i'm really cool with the service managers. I pretty much just buy them lunch and they let me do whatever i need to do on my car. As long as its not too busy. Thank god for that. It probably would've cost me a pretty penny just for them to look at it if i was just a regular customer.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

**Update***

Tranny was taken down last friday and to my suprise, the springs pretty much exploded out the clutch disc, well at least one did, the rest were on their way out.

I will be ordering my new clutch soon but would like to know if i need to change out the slave cylinders or not? How do can you tell if they are bad or not?

Pics will be updated shortly
Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

nah, should stil be good, you know they are bad when they leak.

Quick Reply: Possible Clutch Problem!!!! Red smoke from tranny??? *PICS*