Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

PowerAid vs. House of Billet throttle body spacers??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
SL Member

AcidDrop wrote:
i ran with just intake, headers, exhaust, crank pulley and throttle body spacer and i ran 9.9xx.
unless you are running with much more than that theres no way a 180-190 hp(tops with those mods anyway) Tc can run 9.9xx unless they dropped half the car weight in the process, or if that was an 1/8 mile. also by owning all other N/A's does that include the ones with built motors for N/A purposes or what. as for being within 3/4 to a car length behind a supercharged Tc with once again just those mods . maybe it was the driver, might have been a bad day for him. the poweraid system does absolutely nothing for your performance other than to screw it up. TURBULENCE= BAD intake FLOW!!!!!!!!!!!! which inturn = decreased performance. think of your intake much like your exhaust, least amount of restrictions possible equals better airflow. with that thing the whole airflow system gets messed up and becomes more turbulent. think about it if you make it swirl what happens when that hits the rest of the airflow that isn't spinning it knocks into thus ceating turbulence. besides if i'm not mistaken the said "system" actually sits in the way of the intake airflow path thus blocking it and creating more turbulence if it even gets the air to swirl in the first place. if not the spacer itself then the threads inside of it will impede the airflow and cause it to become turbulent. this is nothing more than a WASTE of money. as for the hissing noise that is nothing more than air hitting the billet aluminum. if you want that noise and for it to provide power get a larger billet aluminum throttle body. sorry for the rant.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scionkei, its pretty obvious that his 9.9xx time was that of the 1/8 mile.

However saying he was close with a s/c'd tC is kinda of out there
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz

obviously 1/8 but the sc comment doesnt seem out there to me at all.

i went for a drive in my buddies sc'ed auto tC and it seemed slow as sht! felt like with some minor mods a manual NA tC can be faster then a sc'ed auto. imo. i was not inpressed by his car at all.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone tell me how increasing the length of my throttle body is going to make my car go faster. I usually watch The Office or something for a laugh during my night shift, but this sufficed.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC

i went for a drive in my buddies sc'ed auto tC and it seemed slow as sht! felt like with some minor mods a manual NA tC can be faster then a sc'ed auto. imo. i was not inpressed by his car at all.
^this guy understands it about driving S/C and N/A with mods, i was gutted from behind the rear seats and the other car has his spare and the jack in there. wow about 30 lbs difference ain't much, as for the 9.9xx it was 1/8 mile and i am at work so i don't have the paper with me and i don't have it on video . if you guys did knew how the S/C works then you would know that you are at full boost 7lbs at nearly redline, no not from like 3k~ rpms like a turbo.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
Someone tell me how increasing the length of my throttle body is going to make my car go faster. I usually watch The Office or something for a laugh during my night shift, but this sufficed.
to be honest i wish removing the crank pulley was that easy to find out myself about just the spacer alone...hmm maybe i should install it on a friends car
Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
SL Member

correct me if i'm wrong but the boost on a supercharged car is instantaneous right? if so it should stop creating its max power around 5k rpm or so. it still makes power just not anymore after that. off the line a SC car would beat a turbo'ed car. in the end it would be down to the actual performance levels of the car and driver. i can't account for every SC car for that matter but if an auto is slow and rather unimpressive the boost setting could be rather restricted or lowered. and can the auto tranny stand up to the increased power levels? also were all the fuel enhancement upgrades done that can also affect that. from what i understand of MAF sensors is that they are rather picky and sensitive to huge power gains . but as for his time on the 1/8 mile. how much faster is that over just bone stock? at least a good full sec or more faster than stock for those mods is about right and impressive for bolt ons.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here I'll correct you.

A supercharger makes it max hp at redline - right before fuel cut. It's on a belt system - as rpms increase, power increases. The boost is limited by the size of the pulley.

Off the line, a SC will not necessarily beat a turbo'd tC. The driver will determine that. It's hard to keep power down on the ground in a FWD - even if the car was not boosted. But in theory if all else equal - the SC will have more lowend hp - but a properly sized turbo will have more torque - so the turbo will still have the advantage off the line.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i think i've heard enough... lol big thankx to scionkei i am not going to waste my money! thank you all
Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC

Auto is a good deal slower then manual, thats why.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

right but you said sc'd tc is kinda out there, not auto sc'd tc is kinda out there
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 AM
SL Member

okay what about turbo lag? due to that turbos do not have the advantage off the line. yes the do create more torque and horsepower but at about 2500 rpm at the earliest depending on the setup(but that rpm range may be different also depending on the setup). supercharged is off the line instant horsepower and torque. superchargers don't always produce power till the redline, depends on the car and the setup. i'm new to the scions but to my understanding of how these two different systems work(in general) you want turbos for mid to top end power and superchargers for low to mid range power. how these two different systems work on scion tc's is something i'll have to see for my self a couple of times for each application. but it all depends on what you are aiming for on your particular vehicle and how it is tuned. however i will not deny that its the driver who ultimately(being that the cars are equal in hp and completely same setup other than choice of forced induction)will be the ultimate factor in a race.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkei
okay what about turbo lag? due to that turbos do not have the advantage off the line. yes the do create more torque and horsepower but at about 2500 rpm at the earliest depending on the setup(but that rpm range may be different also depending on the setup).
That's true, scionkei - but re-read my post. I said a "properly sized turbo" - meaning not one of those gigantic turbos that take our little engines 3500rpm to spool it.

A GT2871 on our turbo will have full boost almost before 2500rpm and is capable of making over 300whp.

The reason you see all these turbo kits with large turbos is because people want the most hp at the lowest psi - thinking it'll save their engine because they're running low psi. It's also a measure of the male genitalia apparently.

supercharged is off the line instant horsepower and torque. superchargers don't always produce power till the redline, depends on the car and the setup. i'm new to the scions but to my understanding of how these two different systems work(in general) you want turbos for mid to top end power and superchargers for low to mid range power. how these two different systems work on scion tc's is something i'll have to see for my self a couple of times for each application. but it all depends on what you are aiming for on your particular vehicle and how it is tuned. however i will not deny that its the driver who ultimately(being that the cars are equal in hp and completely same setup other than choice of forced induction)will be the ultimate factor in a race.
Supercharger has instant boost - you're right. But that doesn't mean you'll hook up on the ground. I guarantee you a properly sized turbo vs a supercharger (roots or centrifugal) at the same psi, the turbo will always have the advantage - considering both have optimum tunes. Btw - when's the last you raced under 2500 rpm? You even launch higher than that.

I think if you want a DD that is a RWD, a supercharger could be fun as heck. But usually those cars have larger displacement motors (obviously with few exceptions like your 240's and Miata's) so they're capable of using larger turbos and still spooling them quickly and be even more fun at low boost. And then when they want to top out the car, switch over to high boost and have insane top-end. Btw - that's another thing - you can't change the boost level on the fly with a SC.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 AM
SL Member

all i'm trying to say is that properly and perfectly tuned, and both cars are equals on all other fronts( car type, tranny, hp max, etc.) aside from the choice of forced induction superchargers are quicker off the line. high end power and speed turbos have the upper hand. however it just depends on the driver and the proper amount of tuning the car went through right? thats the statement i'm trying to make. if i put more in there i didn't mean to.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok scionkei obviously your not getting the point. A trd supercharger sucks ***** and is really not that much faster than a stock tc. Search and you will see without mods its only a few car length between them. Yea eventually the S/c will start pulling away but in a 1/8 or 1/4 it will not be as big a win as you would think. Just stop trying to make a point when you dont know what your talking about. Your wrong on this with the tc may be a mustanfg or sumthing but not on the tc.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Ok scionkei obviously your not getting the point.
that's why i just stopped posting even the OP said ok i'm not gonna waste my money, simple as that. might as well LOCK AND DELETE THIS THREAD THAT HAS GONE COMPLETELY POINTLESS.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 AM
SL Member

i'm choosing to end this conversation on my end. i don't want to offend anyone and i'd rather not get kicked off this forum, so if it means that i look like i don't know what i'm talking about and/or lose some credit in the process whatever, i'm walking away from this conversation.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no reason on why you would get kicked off this forum and none of us are getting offended but the OP made his decision already and you kept going about other things that belong in another thread which is why it's best to just let go of this one and either start a new one which is pointless to because there is another with the answer your looking for or with the same answer that you have.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

guys...

SHUT UP

this is a mute point.....
Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry had a bad day and vented a lil bit. IBTL

Quick Reply: PowerAid vs. House of Billet throttle body spacers??