Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Pulley install help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pulley install help!

I went to put on my lightweight crank pulley today and i could not get the freaken bolt of(suprise, suprise). I couldn't get it off because it would spin with the car in gear! It that normal, or am i just bein stupid. I tried to search but all i could find was people using impacts. I dont have an impacy and it would not be easy for me to get one, so does anybody have any ideas?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it cant be done without impact tool
It's only like half an hour work so go to a local shop an aks them to do it
Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try putting it in 4th and using a ratchet in a quick jerk like movement. Impact is the only way that I have seen it done. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You sure? Not even a breaker bar? I dont want to go buy and return another impact gun @_@
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually had this problem with my suspensions, but I didn't think it would be the same for a pulley install.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

them things are on there pretty tight.....even still, you'd be better off with an impact gun IMO
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NurSpec
Try putting it in 4th and using a ratchet in a quick jerk like movement. Impact is the only way that I have seen it done. Good luck.
why 4th? If that may make a difference ill try that.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I actually done it without an impact wrench, will be back im in class right now.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
I actually done it without an impact wrench, will be back im in class right now.
yea please let me know how you did it, i am want to get this thing on my car!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

impact gun at least 135psi or so, i think 150 is best. dont forget to put her in gear.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am trying not to use an impact gun, because i dont have one. I hate people that i dont know touching my car, besides the dealer.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You should have searched in the ZPI pulley install thread, i posted it in there. But anyway yes I think I am the only one that has done it without an impact gun, I told every1 at the last meet but they either laughed or just dint beleive me. Well anyway. Ill try my best to explain, You need an extension bar,i used a galvanite nipple (very strong), what you do is put the socket wrench onto the pulley nut, slide the wrench into the bar and rest it on the floor at and angle facing forward i think my bar was about 20 inches? You kind of want to TRY to dig it into the concrete or wtv, it is. Then what you do is crank the engine. make sure you DONT start it, just seems dangerous, you want to just crank it for maybe a second, When you crank it, the pulley will turn, since the socket wrench is on there and stuck to the floor the wrench cant move right? so when u crank it, it will cause the nut to loosen. I sat on the floor and held the bar, just in case it did move, and had a friend crank the engine.

Now i just got to put this,

Disclaimer: If something breaks, not my fault. You chose to do it this way.

Ill be honest though it worked on mine, and 2 other friends. 1 crank is all you need.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

You should have searched in the ZPI pulley install thread, i posted it in there. But anyway yes I think I am the only one that has done it without an impact gun, I told every1 at the last meet but they either laughed or just dint beleive me. Well anyway. Ill try my best to explain, You need an extension bar,i used a galvanite nipple (very strong), what you do is put the socket wrench onto the pulley nut, slide the wrench into the bar and rest it on the floor at and angle facing forward i think my bar was about 20 inches? You kind of want to TRY to dig it into the concrete or wtv, it is. Then what you do is crank the engine. make sure you DONT start it, just seems dangerous, you want to just crank it for maybe a second, When you crank it, the pulley will turn, since the socket wrench is on there and stuck to the floor the wrench cant move right? so when u crank it, it will cause the nut to loosen. I sat on the floor and held the bar, just in case it did move, and had a friend crank the engine.

Ill be honest though it worked on mine, and 2 other friends. 1 crank is all you need.
Why do I have visions of the car starting, breaker bars being flung about and cats and dogs scurrying for cover...good luck with that little 'trick'.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM
SL Member

Let me know how that works out high speed. Get the impact gun for god sakes, its only a couple hundred, less then what your going to be spending on a guy getting tools out of your pulley. Good luck either way. Try using a hammer to quickly smack it loose.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bring your car into a local school with an impact gun @_@ my school has a autoshop which has a lift and impact gun @_@
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sry i dont think im gunna try that. now i gotta pay to get it installed:sigh:
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lol geeez great way to make me look bad, haha. I was only trying to help the guy who dint wanna use an impact gun ( his choice) I never insisted on him NOT using the impact gun. and teejoker maybe i suck at explaining this but have you ever watched any1 install you're pulley? i dont know if you're being sarcastic but thers no way anything could get stuck, worse case scenario is yes the socket would fling, but thats y u hold it. and second of all you cant use a hammer, i tried, Even when you put it in gear AND press the breaks a bit, the pulley will just turn with it. This so called "trick" isnt really that bad if you've seen it done. but anyway good luck, it isnt too much to get it installed, theyll prolly just charge you an hour's worth of labor. Take care guys.

-Tony
Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do that and we'll see you at Darvin's Record Book
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody near philly wanna help me out this weekend?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call Autozone and see if the impact gun is part of their Loan-A-Tool program. All you have to do is put down a deposit and you get it back when you return the tool, so it's free. I'm getting my spring compressor from them.

Quick Reply: Pulley install help!