Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

QR25DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The Camry v6 won't fit in the engine bay without some major cutting and fabrication i.e. moving the firewall back. If i had the $$$ equipment and time I'd much rather just play around with the 2az. as I do enjoy the engine very much. If i were to buy an SE-R i'd be much more interested in an altima.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want a high potential motor with an endless aftermarket, get an SR20DET from a pulsar gti-r. forget the QR25DE.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

SR20DET (forget what the SR 20 stands for, Dual Overhead Cam, Electronic Ignition, Turbo) is a great engine.... For lighter Cars. For the Big booty tC you definitly need a higher displacement engine. The Non Turbo SR20DE was around 145 hp, 143 lb of torque I think, but it was still turbo ready
Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the sr20det is not just for lighter cars. the FWD drive versions are in heavier cars and in RWD versions of the sr20det has been put in numerous car with a heavier curb weight than the tC. i've seen sr20det's(rwd version) in skylines, 350z's, 300zx's etc.

with the potential and the endless aftermarket of the sr20, it will not have a problem moving a car with the tC's curb weight.

i have boosted many US spec sr20's, including mine.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

for the price of the new motor/tranny/labor, you can go FI and do it the right way too.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I am seriously skeptical they swapped an r34 engine for a sr20det. But hey maybe someone bought a skyline shell and just wanted to look like he drove a real one.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
I am seriously skeptical they swapped an r34 engine for a sr20det. But hey maybe someone bought a skyline shell and just wanted to look like he drove a real one.
there are a lot of different skylines. not just the r34 with the rb26.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I’m pretty sure I saw a g35 with sr20det engine in a recent car magazine. I can’t remember which one. Maybe I will go to Target and see but just because one engine is smaller doesn’t make it not as good as a bigger one. If I could put an early 90's 1.5L turbo engine in my car (around 1000+ hp) I would though my tC has 2.4L. That is the point of being a sport compact enthusiast that bigger is not always better. If you really think a bigger engine is better then go buy a mustang GT or some other Muscle car.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I saw that article also. If I am not mistaken the reason for the swap is they ruined the stock engine and needed a replacment. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. The sr20de and the other det. Were great engines because they were turbo ready out of the box handeling 14 psi with stock internals no problem. Now if there were a 2.0l or a 2.5l both with forged internals and turbo ready out of the box... wich would you choose? I am a big fan of the sr20, I myself used to own and drive a '95 200sx se-r and searl tate is my hero. A bigger engine IS better that is why ls1 and ls2 engines for example are far superior to any 4 cyl engine. People can tune and bolt on items to a 4 cyl to produce similar numbers to those engines. But facts are facts bigger is better when it comes to power.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so now the plan is for RWD on the tC?

.... with a Nissan engine no less?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hows a 61/39 weight ratio for RWD? Doesn't sound too good.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboMe
for the price of the new motor/tranny/labor, you can go FI and do it the right way too.
he said he wasn't doing this for power about three posts up. I can't tell you how many problems there are with the QR motor and tranny. I had them both replaced in my Spec and so have many others. If you get one, make sure it is 04+...they have had a alot of problems with precat failure. Besides that, they produce massive amounts of torque steer. Fun when you want it, but annoying when just cruising around. Like it was said before, go with the SR20DE.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: QR25DE Swap

Yah know I really don't want to do this, but with the way the 2az is set up. Having carb EO aftermarket performance parts seems to be an up hill battle. I am just posting to see what you guys think? Will the 2.5 l and 6 spd tranny fit with out having to cut up the unibody or move the firewall. 180 hp and 180 ft/lb with the 6 spd and lsd. Just tossing the idea around. Feed back pls
If all you're looking for is to have an engine in your tC that has a ton of CARB EO aftermarket parts, then you got the wrong car and swapping an engine with one from another manufactuer would not be street legal anyway. Also placing an '04 engine in an '05 car wouldn't be street legal either. You're looking at around $15,000+(probably a BIG understatement) to put a Nissan engine into a tC and the end result would be for "off-road use only". Honestly, if you wanted the Nissan engine, you shoulda just bought a Nissan car.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw that article also. If I am not mistaken the reason for the swap is they ruined the stock engine and needed a replacment. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. The sr20de and the other det. Were great engines because they were turbo ready out of the box handeling 14 psi with stock internals no problem. Now if there were a 2.0l or a 2.5l both with forged internals and turbo ready out of the box... wich would you choose? I am a big fan of the sr20, I myself used to own and drive a '95 200sx se-r and searl tate is my hero. A bigger engine IS better that is why ls1 and ls2 engines for example are far superior to any 4 cyl engine. People can tune and bolt on items to a 4 cyl to produce similar numbers to those engines. But facts are facts bigger is better when it comes to power.
Regardless of which Nissan engine is better...the swap would be useless. If all your looking for is CARB certification for aftermarket parts, then yes you could put that Spec V motor in your car. But, no you wouldn't be able to get hardly any more power out of the car without doing some crazy, bat____ internal work(assuming you'd go FI). Those engines have a bad reputation of fragging ____less under very little stress. The gear box on it is similar to the new Primera gear box in Europe...a POS. Nissan got rid of the old 5sp gear box that they had on their Sentra and the infiniti G20 for a "more robust" gear box... that feels like garbage. If you wanna get that box then you'll probably miss shift a lot.

As for the SR20DET....the rear wheel drive versions have a massive aftermarket, you're right. Good luck getting a rwd S14 Sr20det into you car and working, with ECU wiring set up successfully. O and good luck finding an '05 engine of that spec. The FWD SR20DE that comes NA is a kickass engine... with pretty weak after market. You won't get quality headers for less than $500, intake for $300 and then you'll net maybe 12 whp. After that you're stuck with FI, and the only FWD SR20DEs out there right now that are new are the Roller Rocker version that are a "chore" to turbo. Jim Wolf Technologies just cracked the ECU code on that engine I believe. You could try for that Pulsar motor that someone talked about. That's a FWD SR20DET, so is the avenier motor... but you won't fine those newer than '02 anywhere. Stick with your motor man.

As for boring this engine out?? Can the sleeves handle any bore in this motor?? Wouldn't you have to replace them? I would avoid any stroking seeing as how the motor's Bore/Stroke ratio is already pretty bad. It would like limit your redline even more. I would imagine if the block could handle a bore of +.3L and a nice new head with some potent cams, you'd be well into the 200+ whp/tq numbers, although I haven't seen to many companies making cams for this engine yet.

If you want massive displacement in an engine, you will likely only be travelling in a straight line.... or driving an exotic. The weight of those big boy engines has its draw backs when you have to let off the gas and slow down to make a hard corner. Yes The Enzo a 6L V-12 and it handles like a dream, and it's also been tuned to be a super car. That's why they cost so much. Those cars are designed to go like a bat out of hell no matter what's in front of them. In the real world... getting those massive displacement engines limits you to a quarter mile track. I agree when it comes to power THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. When it comes to RACING THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR BALANCE. So if all you're looking for is raw muscle, you should have gone an bought a late 90's mustang GT for dirt cheap and put a blower in it... you'd smoke nearly everything..... in a straight line. Get it on a road coarse and get ready to slide, spin, and lose miserably to a Miata.

Just my two cents I guess.

Tide
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RollTide
I would imagine if the block could handle a bore of +.3L and a nice new head with some potent cams, you'd be well into the 200+ whp/tq numbers, although I haven't seen to many companies making cams for this engine yet.
Jotech chose to sleeve only up to 2.5L. So I don't think going any higher than +.1 or maybe .2 L would be safe.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... walls of the block must be rather thin.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some facts from the tC's tech sheets:

a) 88.5 mm bore X 96.0 mm stroke (3.48” X 3.78”)
b) compression ratio = 9.6:1
c) "Producing the thin cast-iron liners and aluminum alloy cylinder block as a unit realizes the compact
design. The liner is thin, so that reboring is not possible."
Old 07-08-2005, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
Some facts from the tC's tech sheets:

a) 88.5 mm bore X 96.0 mm stroke (3.48” X 3.78”)
b) compression ratio = 9.6:1
c) "Producing the thin cast-iron liners and aluminum alloy cylinder block as a unit realizes the compact
design. The liner is thin, so that reboring is not possible."
Then it looks like to counter that you'd have to go with higher compression pistons. That would net higher hp, but one would also have to use premium fuel.

-Tide
Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Higher compressions pistons? Hope you're talking about N/A.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sensay
have no idea but dam that sounds like a nice motor just .1 more liters and its makin 20 more hp and torque
i bet it has more compression tho :/ where do u find this qr motor anyhow? sounds like a nissan

Quick Reply: QR25DE Swap