Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Question about crank pullies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about crank pullies

I was thinking about a lightweight crank pulley as my next mod. Does anyone know if this will cause an imbalance to the engine and cause it to not last as long? I was looking at either the Agency or the Unorthodox, both of which are the same diameter as the stock pulley. Any suggestions on which one i should get or if i should get one at all because if it is likely to throw off my engine (even slightly) i probly wouldnt get it. I would appreciate any help you guys could give me on this subject...thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There has been A LOT of disscussion on this topic around here lately. Some swear that pulleys will mess up your motor and decrease your overall engine life. Some swear pulleys will kill your engine overnight. And some have used pulleys for years and years with nothing but good results, I fall into this last category.

I highly recommend you picking up a crank pulley or a full kit from NST, www.NonStopTuning.com
Just a few threads down from this very thread right now is another pulley thread, here is a link for you.....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95670
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

If your already hesitant... it's probably not a good idea....

But, if your bold... I'd go with it... Enough people out there with them and it's too hard for me to find too much info against them on google, despite my searching... so it can't be TOO bad.

I wouldn't discount the risk involved, but for as many that are out there, there seems to be not TOO MUCH information against them... although it exists....

It definately seems to pose some risk, since they remove the dampener... but... I'm probably going to do it anyway coming up here soon... # 50 on my list of things I've done to blow my warranty out of the water and possibly cause me to spend some money to rebuild my motor...

Hey... It's all in Good fun... I'll be the guinei pig... If I blow my engine up.... I'll tell you...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I have read, there have been no failures directly or indirectly caused by a lightweight pulley. Underdrive pulleys can have problems with the alternator and battery, but a fullsize pulley eliminates this problem. Everything he cites in the article (that BMW one) is pure speculation in the sense that stress will be perfectly transferred from one part of the crankshaft to the other. Everything absorbs (minimizes) that stress, including the 4 rods it has to go through to get to the other side.

That site gives a pretty good hypothesis as to why an aftermarket pulley should mess up an engine. Unfortunately, like any other high school physics problem, this is in a perfect world where there is no power loss to friction, as well as the many other variables associated with transferring energy. If what he were saying was true, engines would be totally destroyed just because of an underdrive pulley. I haven't heard of that happening.

I'm not convinced, and I'll keep flooring my car with my fresh lightweight pulley.

Edit: You're not removing any kind of dampening when replacing the pulley. Anybody who's done so can attest to the pulley being a seven pound slab of cast iron, and how much better the car responds to the accelerator pedal when you put on its skinnier replica made of much lighter metal.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks Zer0....

I try not to motivate the critics too much by already adressing their concerns....

I'll be sporting one of these soon enough.... If I have any problems... I'd be sure to tell... although I'm not anticipating any.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No it will not mess with your car! Older cars used harmonic balancer pulleys (crank pullies) to help absorb engine vibrations. Our tc are have counter balance shafts inside the engine instead of the older harmonic balancer that is becoming obsolite with newer engines due to counter balance shafts.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In addition to that, if it was possible to remove the balance shafts, we could gain more horsepower, I have gained almost 10hp by removing balance shafts in my 1992 eagle talon.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the help...i'm thinkin i'm going to get it and just see how it goes
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have had great results with the pulley with many many customers having the same results.

We have these avaiable on our site at www.zpiracing.net

We have had customers shave as much as .3 off there 1/4 with this pulley
Old 12-09-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say if your gonna go with a underdrive crank pulley, go with the NST one. i have there whole pulley kit, and its awesome. you wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm thinking NST with the alt.... is the water absolutely neccesary?... I'm not sure I'd be running insane temps in my car... I live in flippin' oregon.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The NST pulley kit seems like a total solution, but do I need all of those pullies and what would I gain from using them all?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You shouldn't need all of them, as the overdrive pulleys would help someone with a big audio system for instance to keep voltage high at idle and the water pump running fast to cool better.... but if you don't have a huge system and don't race or run your engine for long times really hot... you shouldn't have any problems running without them...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do a search please... this topic is a waste of space
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Simmer down ^

It's sometimes nice to see a topic bumped back up fresh... I haven't seen these questions asked too many times.... the question asked a million times.... those are the ones to hit up for searching...