Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

question about installing injen short ram.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default question about installing injen short ram.

has anyone else found the injen intake to be a little too long it seems like a very very tight fit. did i do something wrong? i removed all parts of the stock intake before installing the injen intake it just seems like the filter is a bit too big or something.

i also think i like the stock sound better because i removed the intake and put my stock one back on. if anyone is interested in buying it i will give a decent deal because i dont feel like paying for re-stock fee or shipping.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Private message sent to you. Im interested
Old 09-15-2005, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: question about installing injen short ram.

Originally Posted by Jarrod123
has anyone else found the injen intake to be a little too long it seems like a very very tight fit. did i do something wrong? i removed all parts of the stock intake before installing the injen intake it just seems like the filter is a bit too big or something.

i also think i like the stock sound better because i removed the intake and put my stock one back on. if anyone is interested in buying it i will give a decent deal because i dont feel like paying for re-stock fee or shipping.
Dude, you def. must have done something wrong. How can you compare a stock (electronic sounding) engine, to a more mean whistle....growl sound. You must not like modding your car, if you like the sound of stock. IMO, I think you done something wrong. Have you not listen to the vids that were made, or read the many Injen Intake evaluation threads that were created?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: question about installing injen short ram.

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Dude, you def. must have done something wrong. How can you compare a stock (electronic sounding) engine, to a more mean whistle....growl sound. You must not like modding your car, if you like the sound of stock. IMO, I think you done something wrong. Have you not listen to the vids that were made, or read the many Injen Intake evaluation threads that were created.

the intake definately provided the whistle and the growl. it was a mean growl especially when compared to the intake sound that comes from the one on my girlfriend's 2000 honda civic. i also noticed that the intake sounds just like the WRX i heard today.
so anyways did i do something wrong with the installation or is the intake suppose be that tight of a fit?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

you didnt do anything wrong. the short ram version of the injen intake is a tight fit. my filter has a bunch of "scratches" in it from the fender and shyt. no big deal. i perfer mine in SR rather then CAI easier to install and i dont have to take the bumper off. plus it looks better.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I dont know what you did wtong, but heres how it should look:

Your giving up too early
Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have one more question. i guess i am one of those dudes who gets a little paraniod when i mess with things that could potentially get messed up.
this sound was probably always there but right by the computer you have that other stuff and it clicks alot that is normal right?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm. it looks like in your pics that you were able to get the filter a little lower than mine or it just fit a little better. yeah, maybe i should not have given up so soon.

i have a few other questions about the install. i did alot of searching and i dont think i saw these questions around.
the rubber gasket that connects intake to engine is that suppose to be a little loose? then if i am not mistaken you use the metal clamps to tighten it at both ends, right?

and also when you put the metal intake in should it be touching the metal of the engine or should there be a little space?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

i leave a little space; not that the intake will flex alot; but 1/8" is good enough to hamper any possible rattle caused by jiggling (plus you dont want fine particles of chipped aluminum going into your intake...)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm. it looks like in your pics that you were able to get the filter a little lower than mine or it just fit a little better. yeah, maybe i should not have given up so soon.

i have a few other questions about the install. i did alot of searching and i dont think i saw these questions around.
the rubber gasket that connects intake to engine is that suppose to be a little loose? then if i am not mistaken you use the metal clamps to tighten it at both ends, right?

and also when you put the metal intake in should it be touching the metal of the engine or should there be a little space?
Mine fits better because once the tube is connected to the engine/throttle botty, then attach the filter, tighten it down, tuck it under the hood space as shown in the pics, then tighten the bolt thats right under the MAS as tight as you can with a 10mm as well as all the other fitings.

As far as the throttle body/tubing space thats there. yea i had the same damn problem! Apparently they had shipped it with 2 Centers rather a center to make it cold air and one thats longer to connect it to the throttle body. I went back to were i got it from and the new one i had to force on there. Any other Q's?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm. mine are the same length as well which makes me wonder if i have two centers. one of them has the word injen in the middle of it and the other one is just black. so maybe they are a tiny bit different but i definately didnt have to squeeze it on to make it fit. i used the couplings to tighten it to the intake and engine.

thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

one other question while i am asking questions....

when everything is said and done and you put on your battery hook up. then you turn the key. the first time the car turns on and shuts off... the second time it turns on and engine is running.

that's normal right?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

one other question while i am asking questions....

when everything is said and done and you put on your battery hook up. then you turn the key. the first time the car turns on and shuts off... the second time it turns on and engine is running.

that's normal right?

I think that's normal. The first time my g/f cranked it up, it didn't start all the way. Then she cranked it again, and everything was fine.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ mine startes up just fine but the windows were all messed up. i had to disconnect and reconnect the battery like 4-5 time's.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looks like its a tight fit under the fender lip...try putin one in the box! u gotta unplug headlights, move the battery all around, twist, slide, roll, turn...I mean, its not hard, but u gotta meneuver that little bastard all around in there...do urself a fav...keep the SR, ur mileage will go up (providing you dont drive like a retard and tach it out all over the place) and it just sounds soooo much better n mean...not to mention u get rid of a bunch of crap from under ur hood!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so one question which hasn't been answered yet. the clicking that comes from the area around the computer, more specifically some where around what ever that green thing is...

that clicking is normal right?

i might end up keeping the intake i am going to put it back on tomorrow night. at least this time i know how to take all the stock stuff out so its going to go much faster!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Slightly OT: Where did you guys get the short ram for the tC? My searching skills are seemingly lacking at the moment
Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by make_shift
Slightly OT: Where did you guys get the short ram for the tC? My searching skills are seemingly lacking at the moment

The Injen Intake is a two piece system. It's a CAI that can convert to a short ram.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah, that sort of explains it...I still haven't found it...
Old 09-17-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to take the bumper off for CAI? can someone link me a DIY cuz i've been searching but no success...

Quick Reply: question about installing injen short ram.