Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question for you guys

Still kinda new here, so I am not the greatest at mods of course.

Recently, my lower rad. hose developed a hole somehow and left coolant all over my driveway one night. While not being aware of this issue, I started the car the next morning to go to work, drove it for about 5 minutes and noticed the temp gauge shooting up. I immediately shut it off, turned the heat on high, and pulled over. It was towed home. The tow truck guy was the one to notice the remains of the coolant dripping out a little.

You think the motor is still fine? I am worried about my head gasket/possibly warped head. Anything I can do now in order to check it? i would rather not have to wait for a tow truck again and miss work again.

Also, since I am getting new hoses, I was looking at these:

(Picture taken from here:http://www.mishimoto.com/scion-tc-si...-kit-2005.html)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my lower radiator hose get cut up twice (my agency power hose & OEM hose) by my serpentine belt. We ended up putting the car on a lift and shortenign teh hose so it wouldnt rub against the belt. Maybe that could be it? To this day I still don't know how the belt could of cut it. I hit a huge bump and its almost like it knocked my motor out of place or something lol.

Last edited by dodaddy; 12-30-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u should be fine as long as it didn't hit the "red" section,i ran into this issue before with my other car. 5 mins shouldn't have caused anything but then again howd you drive it?, its not like u didnt have ANY coolant, u did have some
Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM
SL Member

for 5 mins of overheating shouldn't be too much trouble. if you would've ran it for like 30 mins, then you would be lookin for a new motor
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your engine should be fine. Just invest in a new OEM hose, or I like the Samco ones. Your choice.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Biggest thing I'd do is figure out how you got a hole in the first place. if it was a freak rock flying up or something, probably won't happen again. However, if the hose is touching / rubbing anything, it will keep happening until you move whater's in the way. OEM hoses are fine, the SAMCO's are a waste of money unless you're running higher than normal temperatures (= higher pressure) for racing or want a pretty color for show.

I doubt you warped the head, just swap the hose and refill, and if nothing leaks you're good to go. Had the same thing happen in a 96 Ford Contour, and drove it for about 5 min to my closest friend's house to get a ride to the parts store. Didn't hurt the engine at all. Hose was just worn out after 10 years, this was 2005 when it happened.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive driven longer on my old car in that same condition. you should be fine.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah youre fine, just get a new OEM hose and figure out WTF caused the hole in the first one. And just follow the owners manual on how to change the coolant to make sure you get any/all air out of the system.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys! My son had taken the car out for a little to meet up with friends. He said nothing happened out of the ordinary that night, but I think he may have driving onto something that may have snagged it.

I'll get under the car and check to see if I see any scratches, nicks, and whatnot.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, well here's a dead thread that I needed to dig up to update.

Fixed the hose, started to over heat again. Made sure the system was bled 100%, replaced the Tstat, temp sensor, jumped the fans, replaced the fan switch, and all that good stuff. This all happened around March when the temps starting going back up.

I stopped driving the box towards the end of March this year and decided to take it out about 2-3 weeks ago. This kid in a 240sx ran a red light and smacked into me down the street from my house. great.... well at least I didn't buy a radiator only to have it destroyed soon after!

Anyways, the car needs a grille, driver side headlight, bumper, hood, driver side fender, radiator and the shroud for the fan is semi-cracked, but that should be good. The lower hose is still good though! lolololol

Anyways, I sent off an E-mail to Pat at Mishimoto, who I was talking with about the hose kits previously and he was saying (e-mail) that he can get something like a partial sponsorship set-up if I include the Mishimoto radiator listing in my sig. mod list. After explaining to him that the box was basically stock except for a head unit and speakers, he said that it doesn't matter and that company wants to promote the everyday driver, even if the drive is just to work and back. LOL

Here's his e-mail if anyone else was interested:

Originally Posted by Pat from Mishimoto E-mail
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I can offer the radiator at $195 shipped and the hoses for $75 shipped, or $245 shipped if you wanted to purchase both.

The only thing we would ask is for you to include “Mishimoto Radiator” and “Mishimoto Silicone Hoses” somewhere in your signature when you are posting on the forums. These do not have to be links as I understand some forums will not allow external links in the signatures.

If you feel as if there may be others possibly interested in something like this, feel free to post up about it!

If you or anyone else has any questions, or is interested in signing up for it, have them E-mail me directly at patrick@mishimoto.com.

Thanks,

Pat
Mishimoto Automotive
I'll post up pics when I get everything installed!