Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Quietly tuned car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:11 AM
SL Member

Default Quietly tuned car?

For starters i really like upgrading my car etc. but my only problem with most tuner cars is that they are really loud and seem a bit ricey and obnoxious. The problem here is that i want to upgrade my car and it seems like the cheapest and easiest ways to do it make the car too loud. Thats where i need help.

So here's where i'm stuck:

1.So i've looked around and looked up videos on youtube of various exhausts but i can't seem to find one that isn't obnoxiously loud but i would like to see what people think of their exhausts. i was thinking about either an injen or a trd because the sound seems to be more of a rumble from those and not a fart.

so what i'm asking is what would your guys' recommendations be for an exhaust?

2. I want to buy new headers but those seem to be pretty loud and the rasp is a problem with me. I've heard people talk about resonators but after searching i've come up with zilch. I'm thinking about getting DC headers if that helps
Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you really searched?

most exhausts wont be really loud and alot of them sound good.

if you add a header its just going to be really loud and raspy and there is pretty much nothing you can do about but enjoy your 7 extra whp which is barely noticeable and $300-500 gone which is definitely noticeable.

get an axleback or catback and an intake and enjoy the small amount of hp and great sound.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Go with a TRD.... or other factory looking exhaust.

Axle-backs will be quieter than cat-backs.

And for the love of god, don't get a header. If you dont want rice or obnoxious, just stay away from that mod.... not worth it.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
Go with a TRD.... or other factory looking exhaust.

Axle-backs will be quieter than cat-backs.

And for the love of god, don't get a header. If you dont want rice or obnoxious, just stay away from that mod.... not worth it.
x2... i had it all... now im stock.. and quiet.. keeps the cops away
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look, most tuner cars are loud because they have less restrictive exhaust. the reason why they are louder is because they don't have mufflers slowing down the flow of the exhaust of the car.

that is why the food chain of exhausts are open exhaust followed by straight pipes followed by exhaust with mufflers, resonator and high flow cats or factory cats etc.

i had trd exhaust for many years, it sounds great, it is louder, but not not unbearable. the only problem is that it is aggresive and everybody thinks you are trying to race them.

so basically, the quieter you want your exhaust, the more restricive it will be, the more performance you want from your exhaust, the louder it will be. so you just have to compromise on the continuum of loud and unrestricted, and quiet and restricitve.

you can get custom made exhaust to try and have both, but that is expensive.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 AM
SL Member

alright thanks guys, i wasn't really set on getting headers and now i'm definitely not getting them. I'm more than likely going to go for the TRD exhaust, i liked the way it sounded the most anyway
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

If you do not plan on getting a header the TRD is a great sounding exhaust,loved mine till I got header,even wth resonators it did not sound good.It gets spendy to mod exhausts and get it right.

Right now I have Weapon r header,high flow cat,2 12" resonators,2.5" piping,and Apexi can......no rasp,it is fairly quiet at idle,but if I get on it it has nice volume but with good low tones.I think my intake at times is louder

There are some great exhausts out there that are louder than stock and yet sound great......
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo Seriously - ask anyone its such an exhaust restriction that even a straight pipe is really pretty quiet and you cant tell me that spool sound aint sexy lol
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 AM
SL Member

haha well i don't have nearly enough money to buy a turbo but i'm still not entirely sure that i'm getting a trd exhaust either
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol yea - i need my new turbo, and air to water setup - i miss being boosted ( WHat really sucks is having my turbo exhaust setup on n/a with a header - its EXTREMELY loud lol luckilly it doesnt sound like rice lol it sounds pretty mean just LOUD lol
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 AM
SL Member

i was looking around on k2motor.com and it looks like they sell muffler silencers. has anyone bought one of these or have any experiences with them?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well yes and no they work........on my Yaris I have the Greddy tic and it is still loud with the silencer in......with the silencer it sounded weird and still was loud...... so I took it out.Now it is just plain loud.Really depends on the exhaust as to how loud it will be,also a good way to bring down tone and volume is to have a resonator welded on the midpipe,the stock one is not really good for much of anything.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a DC Sports header and a Megan OE exhaust. Not too loud, and the exhaust is lighter than the OEM version.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've heard the precision muffler axleback is really quiet and sounds good.

Thorium06 (He's from Lone Tree, pretty close to you) has the Dezod exhaust. Its a midpipe and axleback iirc. I've heard it in person, its not loud at all, and really deep. Has a great tone.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 for precision muffler axleback
Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
SL Member

wow thanks, i checked out the precision and i really like the sound and the price isn't too bad either. what do the power gains/ are there noticeable improvements after install?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

change in sound is always more noticeable than any change in performance with exhausts, especially axlebacks. But I'll say I think mine sounds great and second gear feels spicier than before. Off the line torque seems a little less... it'll just shift power somewhere higher. I recommend it even just for improving exhaust note, it not loud or obnoxious at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

the reason why you hear fart can exhaust in youtube is its because vids or sound clips dont do justice.. many of them sounds awesome in reality.. but like everyone said, its gonna be louder if you change to bigger and less restrictive exhaust for performance.. trd axleback like everyone said is the way to go but still be a lil louder than stock
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
SL Member

yeah, this is why i'm having such a hard time lol. i want to know what they actually sound like but i think i'm gonna hold off on the exhaust for a while and try and improve my suspension
Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

get swaybars if you havent already

Quick Reply: Quietly tuned car?