Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Replaced Rear Drums- Now Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replaced Rear Drums- Now Rattle

I recently replaced both my front and rear rotors, although not the pads. I bought the car a year ago and they said it just had new pads and rotors put on a month ago. A year later, the rotors are absolute toast but the pads were still fine.

After replacing the old rotors, I notice that I have a rattle when I go over bumps. It is coming from the back drums. The rattle is not a rubbing or a grinding, but a loud metal on metal sound. It is similar to what an old hub sounds when the bearings are shot. More of a thud than a click.

I believe I did everything correct with my install. The e-brake was also tensioned correctly also. Thoughts please?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just my opinion but if you went through the process of changing the rotors, I'd have changed the pads also. They aren't that expensive, as for the rattle, if you removed the pads and the slide clips, the clips may be loose now if you didn't tighten them up when you re-installed the old pads. Also, because you had the car jacked up, go back and make sure the the strut (Shock) springs didn't break loose from their seats. All the jacking up and down of my car when I had to fix the head bolts cause the right front spring to break about 2 inches from the end of the coil on the bottom.