Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

S-Pipe install and exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default S-Pipe install and exhaust leaks

For those who did their s-pipe installs themselves - how did you address the back flange gasket issue - the flange that's connected to the mid-pipe.

I've got a used ZPI s-pipe, and the front (header) side bolted up beautifully, relocated O2 bung also was not an issue, but the rear flange is giving me issues. First I had to go and buy 10x1.25 nuts because the s-pipe did not have them welded in like the OEM one does, then I tried to rig an exhaust gasket there, but it still leaked, so I put everything back to stock.

From what I heard, that shoul apply to most other s-pipes, too, not just ZPI.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

You may need to get a new gasket. It's a standard 2 bolt flange, and you should be able to get a good gasket at any local exhaust shop or an autoparts store. just make sure you specify it's for a 2.5" pipe.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Another gasket was my plan for tonight. You think if I take a small ratchet and hold the bolt from the back, then I can wrench the nuts from the front of the flange? The car will be on rhino ramps, so there is not a whole lot of space to work under there...
Old 07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes you have to hold a wrench on the nut and use another on the bolt. if you arent doing that then it isn't getting tight enough to keep the exhaust from leaking. do that and get a new gasket you'll be set.

not all of the s-pipes are doing this. i just installed invidia's on my car last friday and it was a beautiful fit. no problems at all. it came with new bolts and gasket for that flange you are having trouble with. no leaks at all.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I got a new 2.5" gasket and an extra set of wrenches so that I won't have to use an adjustable one. We'll see how it works out when I get home.

Any tips for fast exhaust cool down? :D
Old 07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
I got a new 2.5" gasket and an extra set of wrenches so that I won't have to use an adjustable one. We'll see how it works out when I get home.

Any tips for fast exhaust cool down? :D
Liquid nitrogen. ;) Sorry! I just use gloves and a prayer for my finger tips.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Gloves! That's what I forgot last night. I remember looking at them and then I climbed under the car and got distracted. That should speed up the process. That, and not having to screw with an adjustable wrench and an incorrect size gasket...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

i always use rtv BLACK whenever i install a exhaust. even when i use a gasket. this creates a prefect seal and wont leak. i have been using it for years, and never had a leak.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know this is an old thread now but to the question on how to cool down the exhaust quick or any part of the engine bay for the matter, i pull out a small 10" fan that i can sit on the floor.

if i'm going to be working on the top or under the car i just prop the fan up on top of the motor and it helps cool down time speed up. it still isn't instantly but it helps alot more than you might think.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: S-Pipe install and exhaust leaks

For those who did their s-pipe installs themselves - how did you address the back flange gasket issue - the flange that's connected to the mid-pipe.

I've got a used ZPI s-pipe, and the front (header) side bolted up beautifully, relocated O2 bung also was not an issue, but the rear flange is giving me issues. First I had to go and buy 10x1.25 nuts because the s-pipe did not have them welded in like the OEM one does, then I tried to rig an exhaust gasket there, but it still leaked, so I put everything back to stock.

From what I heard, that shoul apply to most other s-pipes, too, not just ZPI.

Any insight is appreciated.
I reused the stock gasket. No leaks!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Maybe there are different versions of OEM exhaust, but in my case the stock gasket was smaller than 2.5", and required a small section of piping sticking out of the s-pipe flange in order to be centered.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe there are different versions of OEM exhaust, but in my case the stock gasket was smaller than 2.5", and required a small section of piping sticking out of the s-pipe flange in order to be centered.
There should be a groove for it on the midpipe. It will stick in there while you bolt on the s-pipe. I used the stock gasket because my bolts came loose and it damaged the gasket zpi provided.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by Schuller
There should be a groove for it on the midpipe. It will stick in there while you bolt on the s-pipe. I used the stock gasket because my bolts came loose and it damaged the gasket zpi provided.
My version of ZPI s-pipe does not have a groove.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
My version of ZPI s-pipe does not have a groove.
Ya no groove on the s-pipe here either, but there is one on the mid pipe you can use to hold the gasket in place. Worked for me so it may work for you. As a matter of fact I've reused the gasket several times.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I'm stupid. Did not even think to look at the mid-pipe. In part due to it being very uncomfortable to work under there - I don't think I could have turned around to look at the other piece of piping.

In any case - thanks, I'll be smarter next time :D