Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion tC ECU Flash Tuning Development Interest

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC ECU Flash Tuning Development Interest

Posted in the 2G forum section as well

Hello folks! My name is Mat, owner / operator at OrangeVirus Tuning.

I am a professional ECU Recalibrator and tuner. I do a lot of work Disassembling, decompiling, coding and defining ECUs for several vehicles. We are looking to add to our tuning list with a market that would really benefit from a tune and does not currently have much if any legitimate STOCK ECU options.

Anyways I have noticed there really is not a "ecu tuning" option out there for these vehicles, from what I can see.

We are looking to add support for several Toyotas with some shelf Denso units, assuming it is possible. We'll have an ecu in hand soon to take a look inside

What we are wondering is, is there enough interest out there for us to get into the R&D phase?

Some info about my company can be found here:
Facebook Post
OrangeVirus Tuning

We do tuning development and calibrations for several Mazda, Scion, Subaru vehicles. Including cracking the tune on the brand new 2016 Scion iA and Scion iM, Offering the worlds first Scion iA tune (more about that on the scion ia forum)

With this, the type of tuning would be performed with our software, a OBDII cable, and the tune would be uploaded to the ECU via the OBDII port if possible. If not we would offer a option where you can send us your ECU.

How many folks would be interested?
We have done extensive work with Denso 16 /32 bit code including customizing data for stuff like running boost, which we have done on several N/A Denso Units in the Mazda 3 running some custom code.

screenshot for giggles:

Video of a N/A mazda 3 using the same standard Denso unit w/ custom code and boost on stock ECU flawlessy

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-11-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you say "the type of tuning would be performed with our software", do you mean that the end user will be able to handle their own tuning, similar to how Hondata and other comparable devices work? If so, there's probably a fair amount of interest.

If you're aiming for a closed system that is only tuneable in-house, then I seriously doubt it's worth the effort. For the cost of that type of service, we can grab a standalone and one of the many tunes already floating around.

Note that the community is likely to be *very* skeptical. We've heard this all before, and every non-standalone product to date has been vaporware.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member

We post most updates here: Toyota Corrolla / Matrix ECU Tuning Development interest - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

sorry for the forum redirect link.

The software we use will be available for any user with our ROM definitions. Right now We are working on the ECM in the Matrix / Vibe / Corrolla / Camry v6 3.5L and Sienna 3.5L.

Scion TC is on the list but of not significant importance because there is a wide range of aftermarket already available
Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

We just confirmed we can READ / WRITE / Checksum correct the ECUs in several newer model toyotas (2009+) with the Denso ECU.

Toyota Corrolla, Toyota Camry, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Rav4, and a few others. Including the Camry v6 3.5L

We will have more info soon, I'm disassembling code now.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can crack the 2.4 ECU used in the Tc it would be pretty cool.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
If you can crack the 2.4 ECU used in the Tc it would be pretty cool.
We can do this ECU too, one exception.

The ECU must be READ by JTAG (open the ECU), but can be WRITE by OBD port. that is the problem, WRITE ONLY via OBD.

So the only way we can offer tuning is each person sends their ECU, we READ the BIN, then send the ECU back and supply tune files for them to write via OBDII.

Or read / write / supply tune all via Bench flash (directly to ECU, 1 flash).

I am considering if it is worth the investment. It may be worthwhile to produce a package like:
send your ECU in for READOUT.
Send ECU back + stock BIN + Definitions + OBDII flasher (DIY TUNING). So each person can DIY tune their own vehicle. Except it would be costly.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member

ECU read out confirmed, Flash support via OBDII possible (including scion TC!!)

working on ROM def. tune soon

Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A reflashed tuning option would be dope.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Posting here so as not to hijack the other guy's thread. I'm definitely interested in this, with the caveat being that I'm running a turbo application. Not sure what will need to be done to work for this application, but would love to ditch the piggyback.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my ECU back and all I can say is wow, it should of come from the factory like this. She pulls strong throughout the entire RPM range without any hiccups. The throttle response is amazing, no more dead spots. Many thanks to Mathew and OVT.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member

Do you have a map for a Stage 1 cam, or will the ECU adapt?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump, I'm interested in this as well. I've been away from the Scion mod world since I've been focused on my Volvos. I never went further with Scions because no ECU tunes were available. I just ordered new tires and a Raceland Ultimo Coilover kit for my tC. A tune would be a nice cherry on top haha.