Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Short Shifter FYI

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Short Shifter FYI

Hey all... I recently bought the creative compacts ss. Awesome piece, and in no way is this an attempt to downtalk it. This issue can happen with any shifter, I just want to put it out there and find out if anyone else has experienced it. I was at the track the other day on my final pass. When I tried to put it in to second, I grinded cause I didn't depress the clutch enough. Fine. Then, when I went in to third, the lower tranny cable popped out of the shifter. I didn't know that til I ripped the console apart. I was looking for my tranny behind me as I continued my 22.3 sec 1/4 run at an impressive 34 mph!!! Anyways, popped the cable back in and all was fine. Double checked it to make sure the clip was installed properly and it was. Not sure if I should expect this again or what the hell caused it, but thought someone might want to know this or maybe someone else has already had this happen. Holla.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks dude i have the same shifter but never has happend to me well i hope not in the futrure
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have it as well. love it, and ive driven it hard lots. i dunno, weird things happen with these cc short shifters.

friend of mine had one with the center ball too small, so it rolled around in the housing.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea.. had my lower cable come off but not all the way... I didn't notice it until I just happened to take apart the center console to lube the center ball up more.. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I haven't noticed anything.. I'll check it again, but I don't think it fell off..
Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I don't want to sound like I'm down playing short shifters, but I just wanted to throw in my $.02. . .

Shorties look cool, but the OEM trannies are not designed to work with them. Fact of the matter? We have a grocery-getter tranny. . . it's no getrag. It's not MEANT to be shifted fast, nor should it be. Doing so repeatedly is asking for synchro death. And trust me, it's NOT cheap. The .02 seconds you save on a shift are going to cost you big time in the future. Down shifts? You can rev match. Upshifts? You have to wait.

In all honesty, if you've upgraded your flywheel and drivetrain, and your revs drop faster than the OEM tranny can shift, then it actually would be worth it. But last time I checked, none of the Scions rev THAT freely. The xA and xB especially suffer with that horrible 2nd gear. . .

. . . true you may shift a tiny little bit faster, but the best way to make a car faster (especially ones that suffer from lack of power) is to, well, increase the power. Otherwise, just get one for aesthetics. But be forewarned. . . this doesn't just come from me. If you shift hard. . . especially with a short shifter. . . you WILL wear out your synchros prematurely.

If you have to have one, then at least upgrade the MT oil. . . it makes a BIG difference.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^Good Info.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a CC short shifter in my tC. It worked flawless for the 8 months I had it till I sold the car. Just make sure you do the install correctly and everything should be fine. And I second DJCT's advice. The tC is no hot rod or enzo! It's a nice car with admirable performance for it's class and price but you have to remember it wasn't designed for ripping down the track. Just take it easy on those gears. It's fun to get on it every once in a while but not every day! And switching to Redline MT90 will help a lot. I quote " you will shift like butta"...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this happened before with my stock shifter.. although it was after i Uninstalled my short shifter... its been a while since it happened tho.. no problems here anymore..
Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
If you shift hard. . . especially with a short shifter. . . you WILL wear out your synchros prematurely.
SCC magazine says the same thing in their current issue. They stating something along the lines of, having 1 leads to ppl shifting harder due to excitement and the fact that it takes more effort usually. Synchros will go bad a lot quicker.... but I guess that would happen if someone was shifting like a madman on a stock shifter as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i've never had a problem with my cc ss but that's just me
Old 10-27-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
If you shift hard. . . especially with a short shifter. . . you WILL wear out your synchros prematurely.
SCC magazine says the same thing in their current issue. They stating something along the lines of, having 1 leads to ppl shifting harder due to excitement and the fact that it takes more effort usually. Synchros will go bad a lot quicker.... but I guess that would happen if someone was shifting like a madman on a stock shifter as well.
The problem is that 99% of people have no idea how a car works, mechanically. Thus, they beat the hell out of it. And the whole "it hasn't broken yet" mentality doesn't help either, since you won't know about damage until it's too late. And I'm not picking on anyone in particular.

But to make a long story short, go easy on a short shifter. . . otherwise you will pay for it.

On another note, I've seen road race / autocross shifters which are ugly as sin but totally functional. The actually raise the height of the shifter to the height of the steering wheel. The throws remain the same, so why would you do it? Duh! If you REALLY know how to drive (and not that one hand on the wheel at 12 o clock 2 fast 2 stupid BS) you'd know that you need to use BOTH hands to drive hard, especially at high speeds or hard cornering. Thus, you want to decrease the time it takes you to move your hand from the wheel to the shifter. It's not about shifting faster (although it does make a difference), it's about not crashing. But man is it ugly.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have about 26000miles with my ss and I don't have a problem yet... but this forum kinda scares me... But then again, I don't beat the hell out of my ss.. Now I wonder if I should take it out..
Old 10-27-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i believe it when you say it wears the synchros prematurely. i have thought that for a while and this is the first time im hearing anyone else say it. thats not why i got it. i really dont drive hard frequently. got it cause it feels a lot better than stock. im more for a fun drive than for a 10 second car.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On another note, I've seen road race / autocross shifters which are ugly as sin but totally functional. The actually raise the height of the shifter to the height of the steering wheel. The throws remain the same, so why would you do it? Duh! If you REALLY know how to drive (and not that one hand on the wheel at 12 o clock 2 fast 2 stupid BS) you'd know that you need to use BOTH hands to drive hard, especially at high speeds or hard cornering. Thus, you want to decrease the time it takes you to move your hand from the wheel to the shifter. It's not about shifting faster (although it does make a difference), it's about not crashing. But man is it ugly.
You're right... some hardcore supercars also come in that config. I believe the Koneieggee (sorry for the spelling, but some of you will know what I'm talking about) something comes with a shifter just like that one.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by quiksilver24r
i believe it when you say it wears the synchros prematurely. i have thought that for a while and this is the first time im hearing anyone else say it. thats not why i got it. i really dont drive hard frequently. got it cause it feels a lot better than stock. im more for a fun drive than for a 10 second car.
Don't worry about it. . . so long as you don't go boy racer crazy slamming gears. It looks damn good, and I can totally understand that.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you guys kidding? You obviously haven't dealt much with ____ty ZX2 trannies... everything from syncros to forks and differentials just suck. The diff shatters cause it's made out of glass... the forks are no better... the syncros are so-so... yet I've only broken one diff... and my first tranny had a bad syncro (after 104k miles on the tranny... what a crisis).

Yes I have a short shifter in it... no a short shifter will not cause premature tranny wear... the boy racer will.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, I used to preach the same thing! Of course everyone brushed me off and said 'it's not a race car'. Rally cars and JGTC cars are like that too! (high shifter). Rally cars have the handbrake right there too! Of corse ugliness doesnt matter if functionality and winning is more important.
I chose B&M and not CC or TWM for 1 simple reason, height.