Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Something went pop and engine wont run!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Something went pop and engine wont run!!!

First off let me start off by saying I have a 06 auto TC with a ZPI stage 1 turbo kit.
The kit uses a set of 550cc injectors and a AEM F/IC. I have been tuned for about a month and a half.

Well I was pulling some interior parts out to paint them. I was in the process of pulling out the part that surround the shifter so enable to get it out I had the key on with the car in neutral and the E-brake on tho get clearence for the part to come out.
Anyways I was just about done getting it out and I herd it!
There was a pop noises that come from the engine bay!! I immedatily got out turn the key off and pop the hood. I didnt see anything the was broke or cracked.

So I went to start the car and the car would start and reve up to about 3500rpms and shut off!! So i went to start it again and this time I had to use the gas pedal to get it to run without stalling. The car was running pretty rough and the pedel response was messed up. The car wont reve past 4500rpms and it was missfiring! So with the help from my dad I got the thrmo gun out and seen the cylinder 1 was running about 60-80 degrees colder than the rest.

So we though that mabey some how when it backfired it bent a valve or something. So we pulled the valve cover out and everything looked fine. So than we thought mabey the injector was bad so we went ahead and switch the injector with the one in cylinder 2. after putting it back together and starting it there was still a problem with the engine and cylinder 1 running colder than the rest. So the next thing we did was a compresson check on all the cylinder and they were all about 185-190 psi. Then we though mabey it was eletrical so we switch out the coil with the one in clyinder 2 but it made no difference!
I reset the stock ECU but no success at all!!!!!!!!!
What could be my problem? Could it still be something internal?

Thanks for any info you guys can give in advance hoprfull we can figure out whats wrong!!
Thanks for your guys time,
Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hmm did you check your vacuum lines if some popped off or intake manifolds for cracks? and how's the plugs? you have a CEL?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I check the intake manifold for cracks and didnt see anything. The plugs look fine took them all out and wasnt anything wrong with any of them. Ya i have a CEL but it was on there before this happened. But with the engine running like that im sure the car is going to be throwing alot of CEL's
Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Do you know what codes are being thrown?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No i dont know dont have any kind of scanner to check
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Of course running like that will cause a CEL. But if you knew exactly what was being thrown, youd have a much better idea what to check out. I would try and borrow one or buy one to narrow some things down. It sounds like something electrical.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

was the motor running when you were pulling the dash out? if so, you could have shorted something though its hard to believe that. it sounds like a vaccuum line or an oil line came off.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no the motor wasnt running the igition was on thats all. Ya it sounds like a vac leak to me too but I can find any leaks
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

It seems unlikely a vac hose would just pop off, while the engine wasnt even running. Plus I dont think you would hear a pop.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member

where in the dash were u pulling?? if u jerked a wire a little too hard it could have shorted and caused a fuse to blow, although it does seem unlikely. I suggest checking your fuses. A vac line couldn't have blown off without the engine running.

with the ignition on the car is still getting power from the battery. It would be nearly the same as with the car running, so a short is easily possible but yet again still seems unlikely. you would have had to pull pretty hard and the plastic probably would have broken first from my experiences with the dash and etc
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try unplugging the FIC and just plugging the stock ECU in, reset the battery again for 10 minutes. Try this and see what happens, also check your MAF sensor it could be fried.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

try starting with the maf disconnected and see if it holds idle.. but It seems that you're getting that bang that some of us have/had, did it happened when you first put the key to "on" position before you even start cranking? did you see a lil smoke coming out? I never had problem holding idle though but if that band came from your vacuum source it could be your one of your lines blown off or there maybe a small crank on the IM where you cant see/reach it.. and hey check your injectors for some leaks or placement
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
Try unplugging the FIC and just plugging the stock ECU in, reset the battery again for 10 minutes. Try this and see what happens, also check your MAF sensor it could be fried.
you got the write idea toyota_scion_tc

i think you fried your MAF. pick up a scanner and read your codes. if you dont want to buy one you can rent them from Autozone.

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

but have you tried this simple step? unplug the maf sensor harness and start and see if it hold idle? if it idles then its your maf that is defective
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright guys got the car fixed. When the car backfires it blew off a vacume line that I couldnt see. Cylinder 1 lost vacume but now its fixed and running good!!
I just want to thank everyone who replied and tried to help me!!
Its great to know if I ever have ANY kind of problem with my car there is always people on SL who are willing to help!!!
Thanks guys,
Chris