Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Starting the redesign - Hahaha - Pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Starting the redesign - Hahaha - Pic

Well, I took out the turbo and put the stock system back in.....This allows me to begin the changes and my daughter can still drive. Took all of 2 hours to switch back. Looks like a busy turkeyday weekend for me and my brother (he's doing the welding). Most of this stuff has been sitting for the last month while I decided which way to intercool.

First - Manifold coated by JetHot - Blue 2000 - Kenny gets my other manifold in exchange (thanks). The other coating was OK, but nothing like JetHot. That stuff drops heat by 60%. I want cool with long term good looks. That didn't happen with the other coating. Looked ok, but cooling sucked.

Then the Charge pipe redesign for the air to water intercooler. I will be changing to aluminum pipe as the intercooler is aluminum and I want it welded, not coupled. Mount the pump, tank and plumbing for coolant.

The waste gate dump tube will be cut and rerouted and tapped into the exhaust behind the S-Pipe. Idea from Kenny.

Then the ZPI S-Pipe with second bung welded on for wide band 02 goes in...

Vacuum block hooked up

EGT probe and gauge gets wired in...

Emanage gets wired in

Tranny E.S.K. gets wired in.

TC shoud be ready for injectors and boost to stage 1 next spring track days.

One quiet - sleeper TC with a small attitude.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Very nice! That is going to turn out great!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Very nice! That is going to turn out great!
I hope it turns out show worthy.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Looks good.. keep it up!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

may i recommend something for PCV as well? since you are routing the dumptube into the s-pipe, which takes it atleast 12inches away from the turbo and then back into the exhaust stream, so you won't have any turbulance issues. You may want to consider doing a slash cut into that area and running a hose from your PCV to that slash cut with a check valve in place.

Just like you do on muscle cars, the slash valve is placed into the exhaust stream pointing to exit with the flow of exhaust, so exhaust isn't pushed back into the PCV system. when the engine is running, the suction from the exhaust will draw out gases out of the PCV. you can put a catch can inline to collect gunk, but its an effective way to always out vacuum on your PCV system with boost.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much did that coating cost?

I ordered the Stage 1 turbo from Kenny along with the S-pipe and full exhaust a little bit ago but they are out of turbos at the moment. I would love to get that done to the manifold before he ships it. Also, I didn't know the E.S.K. was out yet.

As of right now I'm trying to figure out how I can get my car there so I can get the internals built and the stage 1 head package put on but maybe you can help me out with that price of the coating!!!!?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Could you be my Dad ScionDad?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How's your daughter handling the temporary switch back to N/A?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seen4ever
may i recommend something for PCV as well? since you are routing the dumptube into the s-pipe, which takes it atleast 12inches away from the turbo and then back into the exhaust stream, so you won't have any turbulance issues. You may want to consider doing a slash cut into that area and running a hose from your PCV to that slash cut with a check valve in place.

Just like you do on muscle cars, the slash valve is placed into the exhaust stream pointing to exit with the flow of exhaust, so exhaust isn't pushed back into the PCV system. when the engine is running, the suction from the exhaust will draw out gases out of the PCV. you can put a catch can inline to collect gunk, but its an effective way to always out vacuum on your PCV system with boost.
Ohhh, nice touch...I like that.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brn2Pla
How much did that coating cost?

I ordered the Stage 1 turbo from Kenny along with the S-pipe and full exhaust a little bit ago but they are out of turbos at the moment. I would love to get that done to the manifold before he ships it. Also, I didn't know the E.S.K. was out yet.

As of right now I'm trying to figure out how I can get my car there so I can get the internals built and the stage 1 head package put on but maybe you can help me out with that price of the coating!!!!?
The coating is about $90 from Jethot direct. It's the 2400 degree coating (Jethot 2000) inside and out. They recommend that coating for turbo exhaust manifolds. They get you on shipping if you try for fast ship. Do it now so you can save $50 extra shipping charges or so.

http://www.jet-hot.com/Pages/coatings.html

The E.S.K is a test kit. I just got the replacement today and should wire it in tonight on the stock NA setup. See how it performs. Then I can see the turbo performance this weekend.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
How's your daughter handling the temporary switch back to N/A?
She actually is laughing about it.....so far

But she did say she certainly can tell the difference. No power at all.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm talkin to Kenny right now and it seams he said it would cost 175 to get the manifold coated?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a clean way to do this?

Partially cutting the hole for a 5/8" barb to weld on. Then just push the partially cut piece into the exhaust line at a 45 degree angle facing the exit of exhaust. Weld on the barb. Connect check valve and hose to PCV.

Does that sound right?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brn2Pla
I'm talkin to Kenny right now and it seams he said it would cost 175 to get the manifold coated?
Well, I know the shipping is simply crazy from JetHot...that was $60 for ground, packaging and insurance (no other options from them). Another $50 for overnight. He may already have some done and marks it up $25 or $30...not sure.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionDad, for the slash cut, Moroso actually sells a full crankcase ventilation kit. but i'd go cheaper and get some 1/2in steel tubing. cut at a 45 degree angle and then place it in the car at an angle. you could use a barb fitting, but it won't extend deep enough and have a good 45 degree angle at the end of it pointing towards the exhaust exit. The moroso kit shows the slash cuts very well though.

As for JetHot prices, they are high and shipping is high because there one location was in Pasagoula, Mississippi. which was destroyed by Katrina. So i think they are processing alot of stuff through thier arizona plant.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionDad, for the slash cut, Moroso actually sells a full crankcase ventilation kit. but i'd go cheaper and get some 1/2in steel tubing. cut at a 45 degree angle and then place it in the car at an angle. you could use a barb fitting, but it won't extend deep enough and have a good 45 degree angle at the end of it pointing towards the exhaust exit. The moroso kit shows the slash cuts very well though.

As for JetHot prices, they are high and shipping is high because there one location was in Pasagoula, Mississippi. which was destroyed by Katrina. So i think they are processing alot of stuff through thier arizona plant.
Nice - very nice. If I remember right, Mr. Gasket even had one. Easy enough to home brew it. Thanks alot for the info...been a huge help to do it right.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

What is that???? Is that our new exhaust system??? Post some pics once installed.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
Could you be my Dad ScionDad?
Well, I guess it's possible. I'll have to think where I was 27 years ago.

j/k (I would have been 13 years old....probably playing baseball)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant wait for the updates man.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

good lord. pretty soon you'll have spent the equivalent for what the car costs!

Quick Reply: Starting the redesign - Hahaha - Pic