Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Stealership not wanting to cover tranny Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM
SL Member

Default Stealership not wanting to cover tranny Problem!

Alright i just took my 09' tc w/13k miles into the dealership for my third gear check. It grinds everytime i shift into it. Yes i did search about it and they are saying its the synchros. HOWEVER, their saying thats a normal wear and tear issue, but i said, "its still a new car with 13k miles," then they said maybe its the way you drive. Ive been driving stick since i was 12. Anyway, they said warranty does not cover synchros. The last thread i read was about 3rd grinding said it turned out to be the synchro and the dealership just replaced the whole tranny for them. They said they have to tear down the tranny to check whats really going on and that IF it is the synchros i'll have to pay for the repair. What should i do? Please someone help!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

take it to another dealership... or go back and say hey I'm under 36k bumper to bumper warranty if you dont fix this I'm calling someone from Toyota to make you fix this.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
SL Member

So call toyota directly?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Yep, or Scion....do whatever you have to in order to escalate the issue and get it fixed under warranty. While synchros do wear, they're not considered to be a "normal wear & tear item" like brakes or clutch, they're expected to last when the vehicle is driven normally.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
SL Member

thats what i was telling them.
That its my Daily driver.
and told them well shouldnt of my brakes and all the other normal wear and tear stuff go too?

alright thanks a lot, i'll get to it right now.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one call to scion rep will have that tranny fixed for you in no time......
Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That should be covered under the 6/60 powertrain warranty.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah it really seems like most of the toyota/scion dealerships don't like to warranty ____ when it breaks lol
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotta show them whos the boss....its amazings how dealerships would love to sell you there cars but when it comes to a problem you gotta fight with them....gotta keep calling them speak to who ever you can to get the problem fix
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nightbeat
Yeah it really seems like most of the toyota/scion dealerships don't like to warranty ____ when it breaks lol
I've talked to different Toyota mechanics and they've all told me the same thing. The Toyota dealer has a "quota" of how much they're "allowed" to spend towards warranty work, after that amount is spent, Toyota refuses to help them out until the next month. You will NEVER get anyone at a Toyota dealer to go "on the record" to admit this, neither will Toyota but it is true.

You must've caught the dealer when they didn't want to use up their quota on your transmission. Quota = money allocated for warranty work per month per dealer.

Find yourself another dealership! And call Scion.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I've talked to different Toyota mechanics and they've all told me the same thing. The Toyota dealer has a "quota" of how much they're "allowed" to spend towards warranty work, after that amount is spent, Toyota refuses to help them out until the next month. You will NEVER get anyone at a Toyota dealer to go "on the record" to admit this, neither will Toyota but it is true.

You must've caught the dealer when they didn't want to use up their quota on your transmission. Quota = money allocated for warranty work per month per dealer.

Find yourself another dealership! And call Scion.
that makes no sense whatsoever. how do they determine a quota per dealership? i live in the md/va/dc area, there are a ton of toyotas/scions/lexus owners here, how do they determine how much to allocate a month for that versus say owning the only toyota dealership in all of wyoming or montana?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 AM
SL Member

Alright so they called yesterday and said that they'll replace it. BUT only this one time.

He also said i shouldnt be racing it or speed shifting. I was like bro just because the car looks like a race machine doesnt mean i do.

Then after im waiting for all the paper work to go through; rental, parts blah blah etc... he says "there trying to cut down on replacing these. We had another person come in with the same problem but we denied them cuz we had already replaced there's once." and he kept going on and on and the he says and i quote "we've been getting lots of these same types of problems" and im thinking to myself..."maybe its not me like you said? maybe its the crappy engineering?" hmmmm.

Moreover, got me a new tranny, happy and the dude said i saved about $500 outa my pocket.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
that makes no sense whatsoever. how do they determine a quota per dealership? i live in the md/va/dc area, there are a ton of toyotas/scions/lexus owners here, how do they determine how much to allocate a month for that versus say owning the only toyota dealership in all of wyoming or montana?
yeah im a mechanic at toyota and there is no limit to warranty work. warranty or not i still flag it and get paid for it so ill do warranty work all day lol
Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha i f*ckin dealers! theyre only nice when theyre sellin you the car but after you got it they dont even care bout you anymore..its funny that i just went to my dealer too the other day and i had my a/c check coz it blows bad air like real stinks that ud smell the moment i turn on my a/c haha.. idk how that happnd but anyway the dude check and he says "it smells perfume".. hahaha