Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

stroker kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Default stroker kit?

looking to see if any one has a BC stroker kit or cams. im wanting to get it but i hear they arnt very good at fitting anything on anything or it wont last very long. i was even told lots of BC cams are so bad they have les power then stock sometimes.... i dont want to beleive this, if there is any one who knows anything more please let me know.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mosses05
looking to see if any one has a BC stroker kit or cams. im wanting to get it but i hear they arnt very good at fitting anything on anything or it wont last very long. i was even told lots of BC cams are so bad they have les power then stock sometimes.... i dont want to beleive this, if there is any one who knows anything more please let me know.
idk about n/a for bc cams but they make a difference for forced induction
Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who tells people this? No one on the forum from my understanding even has the BC stroker kit, people just make these false claims because the company hasn't posted a before and after dyno, Have they done this on any other car? NO. Do other cars with the stroker kit get usable power gains? YES. most deff.

I used the BC stoker kit on a NA h22a prelude, It worked just fine for me, customer service was great, made very nice numbers before and after install, I will be getting this kit for my TC without a doubt, sometimes its a matter of put up or shut up with parts. You cant really always rely on them to post dyno numbers if everyone always shuts them down, from a marketing standpoint, yea it might be a good idea to get dyno's up but parts wise, GREAT product/
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will chime in here quickly to say im a very satisfied owner of the stageII N/A cams, the only people that say that uprated cams will lose you power either didnt degree the cams correctly or installed very large cams and expected their stock ecu to cope with the change in flow dynamics. I refuse to post full numbers on here till i can get a new dyno date, due to all the noobs that will undoubtedly flame as i never got a printout from my previous tune, however i will say that even without headers, adding the cams and doing some pnp work made around a 30whp difference on my setup (tuned). Just ask anyone who has ridden with me. The best gain however was the driveability. The engine is now very subdued to 3300rpm, then you can hear it come alive and it pulls all the way to redline; actually on my setup max hp came at 7000rpm. So take what you will from that. No one i know of on here is running the stroker kit, but that may change.

TYLER
Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tyler, do you have supporting valvetrain for the stage2? valve springs/os valves?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crower makes some of the best stuff. Period. They wouldnt be one of the best names in the industry if the stuff they made is crap. Everything I have ever seen, used, or heard of about them is 100% awesome. From Toyota to Subaru, Honda, and Mitsubishi alike.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tyler McQuarrie , Dai Yoshihara both run BC built engines/

The Rhys Millen Pikes Peak machine is BC built engine.

This is straight from there site.

"Brian Crower, Inc. is dedicated to serving the industry with the highest quality internal engine components available at very affordable prices. BC will be out there at events like D1, Time Attack, Formula D, Nopi, Battle, NHRA and SEMA and PRI shows getting a feel for what’s next, whether it’s the Scion 2AZ-FE, Mitsubishi Mivec or the Mini Cooper."

If a company shows us this must support and make parts for us its hard for me to understand why people have so much of a problem with it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mileoutrage- I just had the stock valvesprings shotpeened. the stock ones are fine for these cams, i just wanted them to be able to reliably take higher revs without any fatique issues, and my local machine shop agreed that shot-peening them would be fine. so far theyve seeen 7300rpm a few times and they still look perfect and ring out well. i ported and fluted the head to help keep low rpm velocity up while flowing more up top. other than that its basically stock up top. i did retard the exhaust cam by ~6* (i put a new key notch in the stock gear as noone wanted to make an adjustable one... =(

TYLER
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 AM

it was weird when i heard that BC cams ar crap from the shop i went to maybe he had a bad experiance with them idk. but latley everyone else i been talking too seems to like them that had them done properly and for the spring retainer kit u said u are just using ur stock ones? thatll deff save me a few hundred bucks for just that.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock springs are ONLY acceptable for the original stageII N/A cams. which BC discontinued. so unless you pick up a set used somewhere, you will need to get some new springs as the stockers are not ideal (# of coils wise) for any lift much over 10mm and will most likely suffer a bad fate in the long run. honestly im a little sad they discontinued the stageII N/A because they are turning out to be the perfect fit for a DD engine. Now you will see the stageII are the same N/A and F/I, and have 10.5mm&10.2mm lift.

TYLER
Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

oh ok ya im gunna need the stage II turbo cams so ill look if i can find used ones, profit isnt a bad word
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a head with upgraded valves, springs, and retainers installed already. along with stage 2 turbo cams. Both new if anyone is interested.