Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC Dual Exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mattman
Originally Posted by JMS001
Originally Posted by smash
Originally Posted by Mx6GT91
It was, lol. But that's okay.. let that person shine like the moron he/she is.
Well if that was the point that your were making it wasnt that great.

Ive never seen anyone put duals on something as nice/fast as a modded Evo, STi and most people with SRT-4's only get duals so they dont have to fill the 2nd tip cutout. Also mainly because all the exhaust systems out are dual tiped.
Believe me, all the people I hang out with have SRT-4's and Evo's. NO ONE that I know puts duals on an Evo. There not retarded.

Whoa dude. You're obviouslly really special cuz "all the people you hang out with have SRT-'s and Evo's" *applause*. Anyway, my point was merely that "4-bangers" do have potential- as recently seen in such cars as the STi, Evo, and SRT-4. Not that you wouldn't have to dump a ____load of money into a car like the tC to make it happen, but the potential's still there. If someone wants to put forth the time and effort to apply a dual exhaust setup to the tc, then so be it.
This car is first and foremost a test bed for products that I am going to offer to you guys, secondly I use it as my daily driver because most of these parts will be on daily driven vehicles, lastly its a show car.
As far as my parts go, i won't develop a part unless it enhances the performance of the vehicle in some way and still be useable on a street car. This dual exhaust IS a benefit to a turbo tC. The less backpressure (on a turbo system) the more efficient the system will be. Going from 3" to dual 3" is less restrictive than a straight 3", hell i am pondering actually offering a 3.5" system going to dual 3" this would be even better. NOT to mention that the dual exhaust looks damn good on the tC, this you guys can't deny. I modeled it after the Japanese dual exhaust system that they offer for the Turbo MR2.

Well since this car has been turbo, I have raced all of these vehiceles you guys speak about so highly. The STI was raced on the way home from HIN. I raced him three times and killed him three times. I think he just couldn't believe he was being beat by a tC, the only explanation y he kept racing me. I also raced a modded EVO on the way home from the Moroso car show, He was giving me problems but i was still in his back. He was so surprised i was keeping up with him, that he actually slowed down and told me he couldn't believe it, and that he thought it was just a show car. The SRT-4 was right next to me but i was still creaping slowly ahead of him.

All three of these races were done with the stock tC exhaust system and at 7-8psi of boost pressure, all these cars run around 12-15 psi of boost stock to give you an idea. Now that i have the 3" exhaust system, it is much faster. This Turbo system will be offered at 10psi of boost, so those super compacts will have real problems with any tC running this turbo system. NOT to mention the price of a new tC, the 3" exhaust system, and the turbo system will still cost less than an EVO, and look better doing it.
You say you were up against an sti, an evo, and an srt4? How fast were you actually going? I thought the tC could only go like 127 before the limiter kicks in. I am pretty sure theother cars mentioned can go faster... Was it like a drag race where you go down the highway and try to go as fast as possible? Or, was it involving turns where you had to slow down and then speed up and then slow down.... I raced an eclipse last night on 195 south of Boston, heading towards RI. We were neck and neck until my limiter kicked in. My tach could go more too, but it just wouldn't go. It must have been an eclipse gt too, but I couldn't tell. It was the newest body style though.
You pointed out a very good topic. No I have not removed the speed cut. These races were all on the highway, but they were basically from approx. 40mph to 130mph drag races. Basically if I let you go first @ 40mph and I'm a couple cars ahead of you when I hit 130mph you pretty much lose. Or if i let you go @ 40 mph and you can't get in front of me by the time I hit 130 then thats pretty close. Yeah definately would lose in a top speed match against these cars.

Originally Posted by mattman
Anyone know how to remove the limiter?
I am working on this problem diligently, i should have a solution in about a week if all goes as planned. But even if you remove the speed cut, you will still have the problem of the rev limiter. At 130mph the RPM is about at 6000rpm, so theres not much more to go before the rpm cutoff. I am also trying to remedy this by maybe changing the gear ratios on the transmission.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

is this xa/xb power forum material
Old 12-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

For those with the OEM Lip Kit versus cutting your rear skirt would a rear lip like the one below for the dual exhaust system be something your interested in? With the below lip all you would have to do would be to cut your stock bumper and lay the lip over your bumper.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^^^^^^^How come the paint doesn't match? Or is it Photoshopped? ^^^^^^^^
Old 12-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
^^^^^^^^How come the paint doesn't match? Or is it Photoshopped? ^^^^^^^^
click here for over 100 images of our project car, if you think its photoshop so be it.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:49 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default rice this, rice that

alrite so every one talks about what's rice or whatever, and granted some stuff is "ghetto". But today I saw what I consider the most "rice" thing ever!!!!
picture it: a tercel (not sure on the year, the round body style), yellowyellow (not lambo), the too big wing and DUAL EXHAUST :o I decided to post this in this forum 'cause some are talking about why it's stupid for a tC to have dual exhaust, well if a tercel can--I think anyone can.

I so wish I had a camera.
BTW, yes I know this tC, is a turbo so the dual serves a purpose.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: rice this, rice that

Originally Posted by lil_LEX_24O
alrite so every one talks about what's rice or whatever, and granted some stuff is "ghetto". But today I saw what I consider the most "rice" thing ever!!!!
picture it: a tercel (not sure on the year, the round body style), yellowyellow (not lambo), the too big wing and DUAL EXHAUST :o I decided to post this in this forum 'cause some are talking about why it's stupid for a tC to have dual exhaust, well if a tercel can--I think anyone can.

I so wish I had a camera.
BTW, yes I know this tC, is a turbo so the dual serves a purpose.
Does it? Real world turbo SAAB '03 95 AERO 2.3L stock puts out 250HP - mono exaust, no mods.. Dual exuast sounds like an easy answer but realistically how much HP/torque gain can you realize by going that way? Or we are just talking "visual effects" here in which case I would recommend a fake cellular antenna for $10 instead...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Four Bangers - RANT WARNING - LONG and BORING

Originally Posted by "DNolen
I think the point of Smash's comment was about how powerful a 4 banger can be, since Ender_Okc said it's [i
only[/i] an 4 banger

And SMASH is absolutely right. What about this American obsession with number of cylinders? Isn't the point about HP/torque and not engine displacement and even less number of cylinders? If I can get 250+ HP from a 4 cyliner 2-something engine why would I want to go V6? Where is the advantage? The whole moto sport scene in Europe is dominated by four-bangers on turbo putting out in excess of 500HPs!!!!

TURBO is THE most efficient way to increase power with a minimal increase in the weight of the powertrain and IMHO HP/weight ratio is the key to success...

I had a pleasure of driving two turbo SAABs: '97 9000 AERO and '03 95 AERO with 230 and 250HPs respectively (single turbo) and there were NOT that many cars on the road that could race me... Check the specs of both cars if you do not trust me. (www.saab.com)

Turbos give you more HPs but also a lot of USABLE torque (which is way more important than HPs) . Surprisingly both cars had single exaust and I have not heard about a mod with dual exaust, there is simply no need for that with 4 cylinder setup...

We are all driving a four banger that has an engine coming out of a economy sedan, we cannot expect much in terms of performance, but to dismiss all four cylinder cars is just plain ridiculous...

Just to make a point, take a look at the link below. It is a page about SAAB pro racer Per Eklund who drives a modified SAAB 93 turbo. Now, this car has the smaller of SAAB engines - 2.0L (SAAB makes two engines 2.0L and 2.3L which is a version of 2.0) and still his his car makes 750HPs/518lbs from 2.0 four cylinders... (STOCK ENGINE!!!) and 0-60 in 2.3 seconds!!! Do you still wish your car had two more cylinders????? Clink on the link and read it will make you feel better
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/000704.html

Now, to make something clear. The reason I birng up SAABs is that I miss my ride a lot.... Unfortunately after my last accident it will be long before I spend 40+k on a new car I also miss SAABs because of their UNDERSTATEMENT design. They do not look fancy, do not look nearly as fast as they are...
Also, different mentality: on SAAB forums there is little talk about the rims or dash kits but a lot about getting more oomph out of already powerfull 4-banger engines... and improving suspension...

I was never a big fan of Japanese cars as they IMHO lack the soul of a real sport car. Euro highways are much better than in US or Japan and the speed at which you travel (and that's not only on the famous Autobahn) are much higher that on American highways, which forces EURO automakers to design cars around the driver and not the cupholder...

Also, Euro motor sport scene is different with more focus on rallys rather than driving cars in endless and pointless circles. Fortunately SCCA rallys become more and more popular in the US, too SCION is my first Japanese car and I think it has a potential due to change in approach or design philosophy... They do have character and the only thing they lack is decent power plant... Let's see where this goes...

Stefan
Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

word.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

Well said my friend
Old 12-30-2004, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to sound like a little kid but may I remind you of wonderful 4 cyl cars such as the Lotus Elise and the Honda S2000?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wondering when you say "there were NOT that many cars on the road that could race me"..were you talking about just other 4 cylinders or all types of cars?..also was this in Europe or the US?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If every one has a issue with the dual exhaust on a four banger, can we also rip into the SRT4 please. Thanx
Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hal9000
just wondering when you say "there were NOT that many cars on the road that could race me"..were you talking about just other 4 cylinders or all types of cars?..also was this in Europe or the US?

US, and I meant all types of cars, not just "four bangers".
Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gambit7
If every one has a issue with the dual exhaust on a four banger, can we also rip into the SRT4 please. Thanx

SRT, amongs many others is purely a "show-off car". I am not denying it is fast but it seems that ground effects and looks were much higher on priority list than its performance....

Just keep in mind that on a sport car each additional unnecessary pound means lost seconds on the finish line...
Old 01-02-2005, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blue ink tc
people keep saying rice this rice that...how the hell is it rice!?...i was under the impression that rice mainly refers to something thats is just way out of place like say a bench for a spoiler or maybe a fully kitted ride with spining hubcaps, amazingly hude decals that take over the paint, theres plenty more that could be considered rice, but this TC seems perfectly clean and tight, regardless of whether te exhaust is functional or not, it looks tight as if it almost came like that OEM....just my .02

That's actually very simple. If you are driving a Ferrari, a large wing does not look cheesy as we all know what to expect from that car. If that's Porsche 911 than it is also fine. It may look funny but the driver will definetely beat you when the light changes...
Now, if you put a wing or a dual exhaust or a carbon fiber hood or anything that even remotely hints at sportiness or high performance on a car that simply can't deliver - than this is pure rice. No substance, just claims.

Rice means fake "carbon fiber" overlays, fake scoops and rear wings that defy the laws of aerodynamics. Fake cellular antennas and big "I got 500HP" decals on Honda Civics are also rice.
Keep it real folks, do not you feel really stupid, with all these wings and promo decals, when you are beaten by a family sedan? (ACURA, LEXUS, MERCEDES, AUDI, SAAB, BMW, INFINITY etc.)
Old 01-02-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All three of these races were done with the stock tC exhaust system and at 7-8psi of boost pressure, all these cars run around 12-15 psi of boost stock to give you an idea. Now that i have the 3" exhaust system, it is much faster. This Turbo system will be offered at 10psi of boost, so those super compacts will have real problems with any tC running this turbo system. NOT to mention the price of a new tC, the 3" exhaust system, and the turbo system will still cost less than an EVO, and look better doing it.

You pointed out a very good topic. No I have not removed the speed cut. These races were all on the highway, but they were basically from approx. 40mph to 130mph drag races. Basically if I let you go first @ 40mph and I'm a couple cars ahead of you when I hit 130mph you pretty much lose. Or if i let you go @ 40 mph and you can't get in front of me by the time I hit 130 then thats pretty close. Yeah definately would lose in a top speed match against these cars.

I am working on this problem diligently, i should have a solution in about a week if all goes as planned. But even if you remove the speed cut, you will still have the problem of the rev limiter. At 130mph the RPM is about at 6000rpm, so theres not much more to go before the rpm cutoff. I am also trying to remedy this by maybe changing the gear ratios on the transmission.
Hey buddy, you seem to be pumping some extra dense BS here...
First you are racing SRT4 than it turns out that you had to strike a deal with each one of them them to end the race at 130.... Did the all agree?
And now you promise to make TC faster than EVO...

Seriously now, how many of these kids are you planning to take for few grands?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stefan TC

Hey buddy, you seem to be pumping some extra dense BS here...
First you are racing SRT4 than it turns out that you had to strike a deal with each one of them them to end the race at 130.... Did the all agree?
And now you promise to make TC faster than EVO...

Seriously now, how many of these kids are you planning to take for few grands?
??? WOW, Can you read? You are sounding really ignorant. I specifically said in the same statement you quoted, I would lose in a top end match! I did say these were rolling drag races! Not to mention the fact that these were before the 3" exhaust and these were before i was running 10psi of boost. Where is the BS??

Next time read don't skim, so you get your facts straight.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I won't believe that this exhaust produces any power gains until I see a dyno sheet.

Quick Reply: tC Dual Exhaust!!