Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're also talking guys blowing their cars up drifting. Put out 530+whp out of the stock 2AZ block and yeah it'll blow...quickly. The engine is capable, Jotech has done it but not without some serious internal work. The 2AZ is just as capable with the right internals as any other stock turbo engine. Keep in mind this is still a new engine and doesn't have the track record or R&D yet that some of these other engine's do. Toyota obviously thought of boost when they decided to create the engine since they are coming out with a supercharger and most TRD superchargers run at around 7.5psi with a warranty. Toyota's known for over-engineering their engines and this one is no different.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
You're also talking guys blowing their cars up drifting. Put out 530+whp out of the stock 2AZ block and yeah it'll blow...quickly. The engine is capable, Jotech has done it but not without some serious internal work. The 2AZ is just as capable with the right internals as any other stock turbo engine. Keep in mind this is still a new engine and doesn't have the track record or R&D yet that some of these other engine's do. Toyota obviously thought of boost when they decided to create the engine since they are coming out with a supercharger and most TRD superchargers run at around 7.5psi with a warranty. Toyota's known for over-engineering their engines and this one is no different.
word

awhile back i saw a vid of a supra with a stock bottom end making over 1000+hp to the wheels. all i can say is... insane...
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is the 3sgte swap even a legal swap?

swaps are useless subjects unless they are street legal.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not all of them were drifting, but that is besides the point. I love it, I post a topic about a possible engine swap into the tC and its starts a huge argument.

You guys are missing the topic completely, so here it is again!

Scionspeed aftermarket turbo kit = $5000 + low reliability on COMPLETELY STOCK ENGINE!

3SGTE Toyota Celica(still toyota engine) swap = less than $5000 + higher relability and less tuning problems, and still has 100hp more than stock 2AZ.

I never once said that toyota doesnt make a high quality engine, in fact, im talking about swapping in another Toyota engine. But nevermind, you guys dont seem to get it. All it is , is a Scion tC with a camry engine, it is not a brand new technologically advanced vehicle that has never been concieved by man in the past. If it was, it wouldnt be a $15,000 car, wow! If I would have wanted another car that was fast, and had a lot of engine potential, I would have spent $15,000 on a RX-7, Supra, 300Z Twin Turbo, MR2 Turbo, or a dozen other cars that you can find out there. But I needed a reliable daily driver that gets decent gas mileage, my 240 w/270 hp running 10psi does the rest.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

Not in all states, you cant smog it.
However, if you got the 96 and ^ engine, then you would still be able to retain OBD II.

If you live in a state that does not have emissions then you dont have to worry about it.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do it! When I bought one of the first Matrix cars sold in CA on Valentines day 2002 I had plans on a turbo. Next day it was at a shop to start the job. Next thing you know we were looking into doing an Al Trac swap and I just about decided to do it right then and there. But, I bought the car for my audi business and the swap would of taken to much of my $30k audio budget(just parts) so it was turboed instead with the stock engine.

Rick
Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SupaWhiteTc
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I know a guy that did this on a 2001 Celica GT-S. He owns a shop and is professional and it cost him 90 hours and almost $20,000 after he was done. He did fully build the motor and it was 546whp but keep the time in mind.
It was a Celica GT. I think the shop is called Jamasco in Hollywood, FL.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The block might be capable, but not the head. 2AZ's are running F economy heads. Unlike the G performance heads. But if indeed Toyota thought of boosting the 2AZ, they would've given it a G head, a lot stronger internals, and made it an iron block. You might point out that an aluminum block can be just as strong (SR20DET), but if you look at Toyota's boosted engines (4A-GZE, 3S-GTE, 2JZ-GTE), they're all iron block.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kamikazi
Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
Tell that to the KA T guys pushing 500hp
Well at least in Phoenix, every KAT guy has blown up at least once. The "biggest" KAT in town did 535rwhp, and has been rebuilt about seven times over the last five years. Hang out with the Honda guys.. they blow them up. Hang out with the RX7 guys, all the N/A-->turbo guys have blown up, same for 75% of the 350Z guys who to TT kits, they blow up too. What makes you think the 2AZ is any different, because ScionSpeed's car hasn't blown up yet? Gimme a break. Whatever.. All I'm saying is that if the 3SGTE fits (which it should), factory turbo is much better than turbocharging a Camry engine. 10 years ago no one thought it was possible to put an H22A in a Civic either.
A KA-T can be just as reliable as a SR20DET. It all depends on how it's tuned and maintained.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not all of them were drifting, but that is besides the point. I love it, I post a topic about a possible engine swap into the tC and its starts a huge argument.

You guys are missing the topic completely, so here it is again!

Scionspeed aftermarket turbo kit = $5000 + low reliability on COMPLETELY STOCK ENGINE!

3SGTE Toyota Celica(still toyota engine) swap = less than $5000 + higher relability and less tuning problems, and still has 100hp more than stock 2AZ.

I never once said that toyota doesnt make a high quality engine, in fact, im talking about swapping in another Toyota engine. But nevermind, you guys dont seem to get it. All it is , is a Scion tC with a camry engine, it is not a brand new technologically advanced vehicle that has never been concieved by man in the past. If it was, it wouldnt be a $15,000 car, wow! If I would have wanted another car that was fast, and had a lot of engine potential, I would have spent $15,000 on a RX-7, Supra, 300Z Twin Turbo, MR2 Turbo, or a dozen other cars that you can find out there. But I needed a reliable daily driver that gets decent gas mileage, my 240 w/270 hp running 10psi does the rest.
Swapping in a 3rd gen 3S-GTE into a tC will not be less than $5000, unless you do most of the work yourself. Think about it this way, if it costed a guy with a 6th gen Celica ST $9000 to swap in a 3rd gen 3S-GTE, I would imagine it would be around the same for the tC. In case you're wondering, the shop that did the swap was Jamasco. Same guys with the 7th gen Celica with the 3S-GTE swap. But on the bright side, the 3S-GTE IMO has more potential than the 2AZ-FE.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

Not in all states, you cant smog it.
However, if you got the 96 and ^ engine, then you would still be able to retain OBD II.

If you live in a state that does not have emissions then you dont have to worry about it.
True. But if you live in a state with emmissions, probably the only way to get away with it is if you swap in a 3S-GTE from an American MR2 Turbo or Celica All-Trac. Mainly because it has the extra emissions stuff that the JDM engines don't have.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see you keep bringing up a "low reliability" factor. Where are you finding that information?

Please show me 1 tC engine that has been damaged by a turbo kit.

I do understand alot of tC's aren't turbocharged yet, but considering that not even 1 engine has been blown (even from running 18PSI) you really don't have alot of information backing your statement up.

Also, alot of people don't want 300-400whp that the $5000 turbo kit will give you.

There is a kit that gives over 250+whp and is around $3,500, and you have a brand new engine instead of a used 30,000-80,000 mile engine.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's no doubt the 3S-GTE is a good engine but the fact remains we're talking about putting a nearly 10 year old used engine into a brand new car. There's nothing practical about that. Take the $10,000+ it would take to do said swap and invest it into the engine already there. Get the head ported, buy strengthened internals, resleeve the cylinders, different cams and reinforce the block. This engine can be made to perform. After all, wouldn't that be more fun?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the point, to do something off the wall that no-one else would do. But this topic was a good argument nevertheless
Old 04-27-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would definitely get you in a magazine.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I would definitely get you in a magazine.
YOU would get us in a magazine huh?

and the swap would not be legal, you cannot swap an older motor into a newer car. it has to be = to or < year of production.
X-eric-X
Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by X_cement_filled_tC_X

and the swap would not be legal, you cannot swap an older motor into a newer car. it has to be = to or < year of production.
X-eric-X
Sorry dude it was a typo, dang. And your second statement contradicts itself.

You can't swap an older motor into a newer car.
It[motor] has to be =[equal] or <[less than] year of production [I'm guessing of the car].
So basically isn't that putting an older motor into a newer car?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by X_cement_filled_tC_X

X-eric-X
Sorry dude it was a typo, dang. And your second statement contradicts itself.

You can't swap an older motor into a newer car.
It[motor] has to be =[equal] or <[less than] year of production [I'm guessing of the car].
So basically isn't that putting an older motor into a newer car?
That's funny! But agian, it depends on where you live, If you did that swap in Cali, then offcourse it would be illeagal, but if you live in a state where there are no required emissions testing, then it doesnt matter. Trust me, I am originally from KS, there are people running around with everything imaginable powering there cars, and no-one cares. Practically just as crazy as here in AZ, but it depends on where you live, because here, the only places that require Emissions, are the Phoenix and Tuscan Metro areas, the rest of the state doesnt care what you do to your car, you can run around with no cat, and straight pipe exhaust.

Besides, what about all of the people running around with a Carbuerated 350 chevy V8 in their 90's RX7's? I worked at an emissions testing facility in Mesa AZ for a year while I was in college. and we would pass emissions on some interesting things. 240's with SR20's can pass emissions fine, as long as it's running clean, with no problems, and they have the factory KA engine emission system hooked up to the SR. and pratically every Honda that had a motor swap would pass emissions with no problems at all. As long as everything is hooked up the way it's suppose to be, and there are no engine codes on a OBD II vehicle, it will pass emissions in AZ anyway. California is a whole nother story.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude you saw a carbuerated Chevy 350 in an RX7? That would be a fabrication nightmare! Definitely impressive.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude you saw a carbuerated Chevy 350 in an RX7? That would be a fabrication nightmare! Definitely impressive.

I have seen about a dozon of them, in many different areas of the country. There is a company that makes a bolt up/drop-in kit for them, that includes all of the motor/tranny mounts, along with some misc. brackets, and wiring. I first heard about the idea of it when I was in High School, one of my friends decided to do it. There were 3 people in the town of Salina KS including my friend that had the conversion. There are many more hybrid conversions that have been done, and are common.

Have any of you seen the Signal Auto 350Z?
They threw out the VQ30DE 280hp V6 and installed a 1989 SR20DETT, They did it because it was unique. I got to see this car at the 04 SEMA show, and watching it drift is even more amazing. But this is an example of a not so common swap, its the only one of its kind. Kinda like the one I was talking about being a possibility when I started this topic.

Quick Reply: tC Engine Swap