Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Three things I want to do... would appreciate some input...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Three things I want to do... would appreciate some input...

Ok, so I have the Megan OE-RS system and a Megan header and I'm sick of rasp. I had a Magnaflow HiFlow cat welded on and it's almost gone... anyway, here are the three things I want to do...

1. The resonator that comes on the midpipe looks... well, almost fake. if I get a Magnaflow resonator welded on there you think it'll fix the rest of my rasp?

2. If I do so, my car is lowered on S-techs and it was hard enough finding a wheel shop to do an alignment (finally found a smart guy at a Firestone who was like, "Hey! 2x4s..."). Anyway, am I gonna get turned off by most muffler shops now because of this? 'Cause that would really suck...

3. The OE-RS tip kind of sits a little low in the cutout for my taste... has anyone with this system bent their holders a little to get it to sit prettier? If so, can I see? If not... guess I'm gettin' some vice grips and goin' to town

Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. The resonator will take care of the rest of your rasp.
2. Shouldnt be a problem because they want your money! Besides you're there for welding not an alignment. Thats kinda wierd that you got turned away cause shops here have low lifts. Your car cant be lower than my crx with cut springs so I dont know why you had that problem. They never had to use 2x4's they just lifted my fender and slid the stuff under.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned
SL Member

When you had the cat put in where did they put it ? was it in between the 2 resonators ? I was going to get a header and have a cat put in between the 2 resonators, I thought that would take care of the rasp, bieng that it would then have 2 resonators and a cat.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rasp you're hearing is coming thru the fire wall, not out the mufffler. so adding a resonator isn't going to help you, but it make help your neighbors and people outside the car.

want to get rid of the rasp? get rid of the header.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can take the rasp inside the car but I know it's bad outside the car... so as long as it sounds good outside I'll be ok, right?

I replaced the first small resonator with the hiflow cat and I'm going to see if I can fit a large Magnaflow resonator in there with the other... if not, I'll replace it, too.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Banned
SL Member

So you dropped the first resonator, and have just the rear one I wonder if you kept both resonators and add the cat if it would kill the rasp.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jjos1
So you dropped the first resonator, and have just the rear one I wonder if you kept both resonators and add the cat if it would kill the rasp.
huh? if you're talking about the stock tc exhaust...

it only has ONE resonator (located on midpipe).

pre (1st) cat is on the stock exhaust manifold; main cat is after/on S pipe; then comes the midpipe, with the resonator; then rear section of exhaust, muffler, and tip.

there is only one resonator, unless you have a diff exhaust. did you remove the cat???

you could try a resonated midpipe, but i'm telling you, no matter how much you mod/alter your exhaust from the S pipe back, you aren't going to get rid of the rasp. The rasp is caused by the header. Want to lose the rasp? Lose the header. otherwise you're just wasting your money.

imo a header is only worthwhile on a supercharged tc anyway. Thats like having a full 3" exhaust on a stock motor tc.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StealthScion
you could try a resonated midpipe, but i'm telling you, no matter how much you mod/alter your exhaust from the S pipe back, you aren't going to get rid of the rasp. The rasp is caused by the header. Want to lose the rasp? Lose the header. otherwise you're just wasting your money.
thats what i did... and i feel so much better

imo lose the header, but keep the rest...

btw, can taking off the cat on the midpipe cause rasp?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

I ment the Megan OE-RS Mid pipe ( has 2 resonators ). I have heard a few setups with larger resonators ( with a header ) that no rasp at all. So it can be done, just no one has did it with the Megan Mid pipe yet.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i just posted about this