Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

transmission fluid and clutch recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive heard they use/used Eneos but I have never found research that confirms that for sure. Some people are hit or miss with RP, in my experience it seems to sheer slightly under lateral load (synchros) and that makes everything feel more klunky and isnt so healthy for the brass synchro rings long term. Just do amsoil, or if you really are that worried, the dealership will sell you transmission fluid, or you can do eneos. I do know they use eneos motor oil from the factory so id assume they do the same with transmission.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TJKASS
Ive heard they use/used Eneos but I have never found research that confirms that for sure. Some people are hit or miss with RP, in my experience it seems to sheer slightly under lateral load (synchros) and that makes everything feel more klunky and isnt so healthy for the brass synchro rings long term. Just do amsoil, or if you really are that worried, the dealership will sell you transmission fluid, or you can do eneos. I do know they use eneos motor oil from the factory so id assume they do the same with transmission.
Interesting. Ill check into that. Thanks man.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member

I've doing some research here before I did some maintanance, tires, trans. fluid, spark plugs,ect.
I did read somewhere that GL-5 isn't good for our tc manual transmissions because it will deteriorate the brass but the owners manual say's it is ok to use
I decided to go with Eneos, I didn't hear 1 bad thing and on there web site it states,
"ENEOS Gear Oil is recommended for use in bevel, spiral bevel and hypoid gear type differentials and in power dividers compatible with synchromesh ensures easy and smooth shifting even at very low temperatures"
AND
"Any manual transmission or differential (NON-LSD) requiring 75W-90 & GL5 viscosity"

I did have a heck of a time finding a dealer, the Eneos web site said there was one in my state but every time I called no one answered, so I tried other states, vt, me, ma. had no dealers.
I called Eneos main office in the united states they were as usefull as **** on a bull.
I found a web site that carried and delivered mtf not just the motor oil but the shipping as much as the oil not worth it.
In my google search I found the dealer in my state but the phone number was different than what the Eneos web site had, I called the dealer and ordered my oil, the gods above were rejoicing.
On a side note the Bridgstones that came stock, that cost a ridiculus amount of money, they suck.

It's been about a year now and the Eneos has made a difference in shifting(smooth and precise) cold weather has been great, down to -20 a couple days this winter

Last edited by jafa; 02-25-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: update