Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD exhaust and alpha werks header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default TRD exhaust and alpha werks header question

i currently have a trd exhaust, injen intake and alpha werks header i just finished putting on the header and s-pipe today and the trd exhaust is very load and i know this was brought up before but does any one have an ideas for me such as a bigger resinator or a new exhaust setup?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A larger resonator will reduce the rapiness caused by the header, but the car will still be pretty loud...much cleaner exhaust sound, but loud.

I have a video of your setup but with a larger resonator here: CLICK ME

Its too loud for my tastes which is why Im still using the stock axleback, but others may think its perfect for them.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeh i had the TRD and AW combo for two days and could not take it. i just put the trd on to see what it sounded like before my SP2 came in. I got little to no rasp though and same with the SP2. i dont think the resonator will make your car quieter..mayb a silencer but i dont know if you can put a silencer on it. luckily i happen to acquire a trd exhaust and so i jus put it on for the hell of it. glad i dont have that as my permanent exhaust.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try 2 resonators...thats what i heard works.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or just get 1 larger one like I did in the video. Worked perfectly
Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
A larger resonator will reduce the rapiness caused by the header, but the car will still be pretty loud...much cleaner exhaust sound, but loud.

Its too loud for my tastes which is why Im still using the stock axleback, but others may think its perfect for them.
Does it bring out any Rasp in the Stock Axle Back? Because, i used to have a celica with a header on stock exhaust and it sounded a little raspy but not much.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i buy the resonater and does anyone have a write up on installation of it....thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member

Thanx for your reply's i will probley go with a big resinator im thinking about 30" should do it
Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deofaz
where can i buy the resonater and does anyone have a write up on installation of it....thanks
you can find resonators on ebay...

unless you can find an actualy mid pipe that has a resonator....and not a straight pipe its not going to be a plug n play...unless you have welding experiance with exhausts....

ask around at shops to see how much they'll charge you for a 30" (minimum) resonator and you may as well up the tubing to 2.5" while your add it and ifyou want to pass inspection keep your oem CAT.....

I'll post pix of my set up next week after i take pix this weekend...

I have (for the 100th time, lol) AW header, ZPI down "S" pipe, custom mid pipe (2 resonators owm cat and 2.5" tubing), & TRD axle back. Im very happy w/my set up.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Originally Posted by The_Instigator

Does it bring out any Rasp in the Stock Axle Back? Because, i used to have a celica with a header on stock exhaust and it sounded a little raspy but not much.
I WAS WORRIED ABOUT IT STILL BEING LOUD AFTER A RESONATOR....so I added two. One is bigger than the other...its about 40-60" worth of resonators...

But believe me I think it qwas worth it....

When you add header down pipe axle back you tend to loose some back pressure and hence you loose some low RPM torque...but you gain up top RPMS power...adding the resonator(s) helped get some of that low RPM torque back...and to off set some of the performance loose (if any -- very minimal) I had the tubing on the mid pipe upped from stock 2.25" (some where I read) to 2.5"...which then even gave me better results....IMO Im pleased with the out come...my custom mid pipe cost me $250 including labor....not too bad and it is mandrel bend and not crush bend...

I'll get some pix up next week.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running A/W headers, ZPI s-pipe and midpipe, and TRD muffler with no cats and two 14" resonators and it's still loud but much less raspy. I'm thinking of adding a cat but I'm not sure yet. My midpipe was like 300 or w/e ZPI's price is plus about 100 for resonators and I got it welded up for free by my g/f's dad.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member

Hey klepto i am in NYC too....Bronx actually and i want to get the same exact setup you have...i have the injen and trd exhaust already installed...i jsut ordered the alphawerks header and going to order the ZPI s-pipe very soon....im jsut a lil worried about the mid-pipe....how loud is it with the stock mid-pipe.......and what mid pipe do you suggest along with resonators......and last thing where did u get your car done at what place...i really dont know any relaible places....or did u do it urself ...thanks man

One last thing how does the car feel....alot faster?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah one of my resonators is like 26" and the other one is like 14" so I have a total of 40" worth plus the OEM cat...

it lowered the noise big time and all im left with is with this low deep growl...and no rasp...it sounds very good and performs great

I couldnt bring myself to spend $300 on the ZPI mid pipe which is only a straight pipe....although nice looking.

Just swap out one of the 14" res for a slightly bigger one believe me it'll make a differance or just add the oem cat...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member

do you happen to ahve a scion NRG sticker on the left side of ur car...i think i might have saw u on 1st ave gonig towards the willis ave bridge.... lol it was about 2 weeks ago lol
Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me? No I dont have any sticks on my car...although I need to get a few to rep the sites I chill on...last time i was by the Willis Ave bridge was October of last year, lol....
Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo Ferocious PM SENT
Old 03-30-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would it help to get rid of the rasp if you just put the stock exhaust back on... with the header and s pipe.? just wondering.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not neccessarily...and why would you want to go back to stock exhaust? if your doing header down pipe mid pipe or even CAI/RAM...your obviously doing it causeyou want better performance...putting a restrictive exhaust would be going backwards...the custom mid pipe is the way to go....OEM CAT (restriction # 1 & you'll pass or have better chances of passing inspection), 2 resonators (restrction # 2 & 3)...this will give you back back pressure you loose when installing the above mentioned parts...hence you get back some low end torque you loose with thoise parts but get back on top rpms...now that you get back your low rpms and you still benefit from all the top rpm responce now....doesnt that make more sence? And in actuallity the stock muffle might sound just as raspy and less power gains....
Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and to add oem cat + 2 resonators = muffle out sound (lower) and pretty much eliminate rasp giving you a nice low deep growl....
Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member

With my set up it seemed like it made my car slower i dont have the vvt-i tuned yet but from what i heared adding a resinator will help get some low end torque back

Quick Reply: TRD exhaust and alpha werks header question