Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Warning lights come on during cornering / breaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Warning lights come on during cornering / breaking

I'm having two seperate issues with the car.

My oil light occasionally comes in very steep fast turns but goes away once I straighten out. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to get my oil changed soon and make sure that its filled closer to full vs low-middle where it is now and hope this goes away.

Also under heavy breaking (pedal to the floor) I'm not able to lock up the tires and the BRAKE light comes on but the light goes away when I'm off the brake. Stopping distance is decent but the light worries me.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. get some oil in your car its low if it is at the middle you need about a half a quart or more. you dont have a dry sump system so it will move in turns

2. you have ABS breaks they will not lock up, the light means your abs has engaged
Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The light has nothing to do with the ABS engaging. It means either the brake fluid is low, there is an issue with the brake pressures or the ebrake is engaged. It is most likely low fluid, which if there is no leak, is because your pads are getting pretty worn. Change the pads if that is the case and the fluid level will be back to normal.

The above is correct though that you cant lock up the brakes since the car has ABS.

You dont have to wait to change the oil to add some. You should always keep it in spec. However, if it is between the lines there is potentially another issue. The oil can slosh around a lot. If your oil pump is having issues, this together can cause a drop in pressure, aka the light coming on. This is NOT GOOD at all. Top off the oil and have the oil pressure checked. I autox mine all summer long and have never had the oil light flicker ever, not even once. Dont continue to drive it around with the oil light flickering.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea for the low oil press to come on you have to have an oil level below the dipstick - even with the oil level at the VERY bottom of the stick youll still maintain good oil pressure anything below that and itll start to have low pressure when the oil sloshes foward during braking and cornering. If the level is this low - youve lost at leats a quart and a half so somethings wrong - id check everything out - see if theres a leak somewhere. Only know all this from when my oil pan leaked and i had oil issues lol yea dont use 6 month old rtv on the oil pan seal lol
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But you can have plenty of oil and no pressure, which is why he needs to make sure the oil level is correct and check the actual oil pressure.

Actually, the reason so many (including myself) hate oil lights in place of gauges is because by the time the pressure drops enough to trigger the light, you are already doing damage. I had a timing chain lose all pressure on its oil fed tensioner on a car once to the point that I noticed the vibration from the chain before the oil light came on. The cause was the front seal going and dumping all but about 1/2 qt of oil.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea def could be oil pump issue - just often when you loose pressure on sudden stops and turns often its low oil level causing it to move away from the sump, and im with ya on the light - thats why i have an oil press guage
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just checked everything again. I pulled the dipstick (engine off 6hrs+) and the oil is definately below the bottom dot. I don't know how it got so low. How low on oil is the point where oil comes up to the dipstick where it does that twist?

The brake fluid resoviour is at full and I changed those pads less than 10k ago. Do the lines need bleeding?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whens the last time you had an oil change? months and miles? And if the oil starts to get low..add or change..don't just let it run damn near dry before getting a change..your just asking for problems.

as far as your pads - still check them..either you driving the living crap out of your car OR your having problems with irregular wear. If the brakes needed bleeding (I.E. air in the system) the pedal would feel spongy
Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last oil change was around august around 4,700 miles ago. I'm on the 5k schedule. I've never had an issue like this before. I switched to Mobil 1 at the last change and the dealer changed out the S/C 2 months ago. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the oil, I could have sworn it was at mid-low not too long ago...

Nope doesn't feel spongy. I'll check the pads when I get the oil changed tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats your answer haha. The SC burns oil! Bad SC! I mean yours in particular isn't bad, JUST ALL OF EM! You're fine though
Old 11-29-2008, 02:24 AM

Default sensor

Maybe a sensor went out?
Old 11-29-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But hey that oil problem happens to me t0o!...i dont have a s/c though...but i do beat the hell out of my car....i changed my oil since June about 3,500miles ago and about a month and a half ago the light oil light would come on if i slam on the brakes or hit the gas hard....s0o i checked my oil level and it was way down....i was missing about 2quarts!!.....s0o i topped it up quick and checked for leaks and i have n0o leaks...everything l0oks fine and run fine to me....that was a month and a half ago.....and today now i slammed on my brakes and my oil light came on for a sec and it went away....seems like its gonna happen again! HELP!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What oil are you running ^?
Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im using the spec oil weight.....and im using castrol syn........im thinking about going back to the toyota oil..
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol if you're using spec, that should be the reason why it's burning up. It's probably just the way you drive. I'm using valvoline synt, and my oil burn is pretty clean. Let off the gas some mister lead foot haha.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grrr damn!! im never gonna stop driving fast! lol.......Right now im N/a.....imagine what would happen when i go turbo??!! is there anything i can do!!??
Old 11-29-2008, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uhhh. Extend your gas pedal cable so you need to push down further hahaha. Uhm, you should be careful, I hear NY is just as strict with CARB as cali is. LOL GET the Greddy Ultimate and cut ur rev limit to 3k LOL. Or break one of your cylinders so you have a 2.4L 3 cyl motor hahaha.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Oil burn is pretty "clean" ???? It burns oil or it doesnt

Your not checking the oil regularly and letting it burn 2 qts or more is a terrible habit, and will cause bad issues down the road. Your car should never get that low on oil. Sounds like you take terrible care of it and drive it hard. Not a good combination.

I autox my car all summer long, running it at high rpm for run after run. The difference is that I properly maintain it like I do all of my cars. My older car has 178,000 or so miles on it and burns a lil over 1/2 qt between oil changes tops.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

where in san jose are you...?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how often am I supposed to get things checked out? I thought every 5k was a good interval but apparently thats nearly close enough.

@SquallLHeart I'm by the airport, halfway between the meet and gabe's shop.

Quick Reply: Warning lights come on during cornering / breaking