Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weapon R engine damper install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weapon R engine damper install HELP!

Hey guys, I just installed the weapon R engine damper, but I'm hearing this weird engine clunking like noise coming from the engine(at first it sounded like a diesel engine ), now I don't think this is normal. I tried adjusting the lenght of the damper(I made it longer, meaning the engine tilted forward) and the noise got softer, but it's still there and I can hear it. Does anybody else had or have this problem or is your's making this noise as well, but decided to ignore? thanks for any replies.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your oil. probably low.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
check your oil. probably low.
My oil level if fine, the noise started after the install, so I know it has something to do with it.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

normally when you leave the engine at a tilt and the oil is low, the oil will not be near the top of the engine and will make your car sound like a volvo. if it's not the oil, then put it on jackstands and start the engine, then pinpoint where its coming from
Old 07-04-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard multiple people complaining of this after they installed their damper as well. I'd search and PM those people and see if they found a fix. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to have to modify the brackets that way the damper will install alot more smother and alot more snug. I'm going to go work on it right now, will post results later.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check that the ends of the damper are tight, especially the rod end. This can cause some vibration noises. If your noise is a result of the end bearings rattling against the brackets, a rubber washer in between can help sometimes. These rattling noises are normal, as you are dramatically increasing stiffness and transfering engine movement and vibration to the car's chassis.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeaponR_Ray
Check that the ends of the damper are tight, especially the rod end. This can cause some vibration noises. If your noise is a result of the end bearings rattling against the brackets, a rubber washer in between can help sometimes. These rattling noises are normal, as you are dramatically increasing stiffness and transfering engine movement and vibration to the car's chassis.
I just checked anywhere possible where I can tighten up nuts and bolts, but the noise is still there. The noise I'm talking about, does not sound like something is loose, but it sounds like its coming from the engine. It's only noticable when the windows are closed, I can't hear it when the windows are open. I guess the engine is making more noise due to the fact it is more stiff like you said in your post and its something I have to get used to. I have noticed the benifits of this damper thou, like: smother down shifthing & rev-matching, smother gear shifting at high rpm's and better take off in first gear with less wheel hop(if done right). Overall the positives out weight the negatives, so for now I'm leaving it on. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like its working and there was just some unknown side-effects. got any pics or pointers?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same kind of sound. Just a louder engine sound inside the cab. Totally makes the car feel different and more solid. I took mine off for a few weeks because it was rattling but over the long weekend I reinsalled it and took care of the rattle. It does make a big difference, especially when downshifting.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got it to where I feel confortable, the extra engine noise is still there, but only when the windows are rolled up.
Here's a pic of what I did:

I had to move the bracket(A) a bit to the left, cause it was resting on my carbon fiber engine cover and was starting to rub on it(B ). Then I added some washers underneath where bracket (D) is so it would raise up a bit, cause since I moved bracket (A) over, it was rubbing on the air condition hose. I added some washers at this end (C ) so it would lower down a bit, I had to use a longer bolt screw, cause the supplied one was too short when I added the extra washers. Finally, the bracket that connects to the engine mount (A), I added two washers on each side, so that way it would raise up a bit as well. It's alot of work and I'm not sure if I improved it or not, but I'm more satisfied with the way everything fits and sits.

Here's another pic:
Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also found that lowering the end on your "C" connection made a difference as well. It seems to make the damper sit more level and not rattle around as much. It seems to me if the brackets covered both sides of the joints it might be more solid. Having all the torque of the motor pushing against the length of the bolt makes me wonder about how long it will last. I always feel that a beefier part is better. Of course that would make the kit cost a little more and its already kind of pricey for what it does.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The Instigator
I also found that lowering the end on your "C" connection made a difference as well. It seems to make the damper sit more level and not rattle around as much. It seems to me if the brackets covered both sides of the joints it might be more solid. Having all the torque of the motor pushing against the length of the bolt makes me wonder about how long it will last. I always feel that a beefier part is better. Of course that would make the kit cost a little more and its already kind of pricey for what it does.
I agree, I'm glad I twicked it a bit thou, I feel more satified with the way I left mine, I'm sure you are too with yours.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

should be interesting to try to fit the dc sports cs2 strut bar on there with that... of course i'm not sure my automatic would benefit enough from this mod.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
should be interesting to try to fit the dc sports cs2 strut bar on there with that... of course i'm not sure my automatic would benefit enough from this mod.
Some one posted before that the DC strut will fit, I cab tell you that the hotckhkis will not fit, how do I know this?, I have one.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doh

how much is the damper though? worth the gamble?