Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weapon R Vs. Injen

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weapon R Vs. Injen

Hi im wondering which one has more advantages weapon R short ram intake or Injen Cold Air intake. i have heard and researched on the dyno that the Injen has the most gains out of all the intakes but i have not actually seen a dyno on the Weapon R. i know that the Injen has more gains because it gets cold air but has the drawback of having the air travel longer. Now i have the weapon R short ram intake in with an air ram kit. It is short ram intake so it has the advantage of less area for the air to traver and i put the ram air kit in the intake to draw and suck up cold air. Now from my perspective i see that the weapon R has the most advantage because it is a short ram that sucks in and scoops cold air due to the ram air kit. i have also heard that the weapon R filter is better than k&n (therefore not really having any weakneses) Please give me ur thoughts and comments
Attached Thumbnails Weapon R Vs. Injen-free-ram-air.jpg  
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by v-train
Hi im wondering which one has more advantages weapon R short ram intake or Injen Cold Air intake. i have heard and researched on the dyno that the Injen has the most gains out of all the intakes but i have not actually seen a dyno on the Weapon R. i know that the Injen has more gains because it gets cold air but has the drawback of having the air travel longer. Now i have the weapon R short ram intake in with an air ram kit. It is short ram intake so it has the advantage of less area for the air to traver and i put the ram air kit in the intake to draw and suck up cold air. Now from my perspective i see that the weapon R has the most advantage because it is a short ram that sucks in and scoops cold air due to the ram air kit. i have also heard that the weapon R filter is better than k&n (therefore not really having any weakneses) Please give me ur thoughts and comments
Injen in my opinion lol
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its an intake they all do basically do the same thing, make a nice sound and give you limited hp that you really wont feel. Injen can be convertered to SRI too but cost $300 for a couple pieces of pipe with a filter on it. To me the only difference between most of the companies is the filter.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you read the comparison on here where they dyno'd the injen, you'd see they dyno'd that in short ram form and full "cold air" form and the "cold air" version was definitely higher. Of course, that doesn't speak specifically to the Weapon R, but it is something.

In the end, what DJ08tC said is basically correct. No matter which way you go, there will be a gain - but a small one that you will only THINK you feel because it sounds cooler. So just pick whatever you think looks better.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as they say u get what you pay for...bascially all your paying for the injen is the name and filter.....ive seen really cheap ebay intakes that just fit crappy not talking about the filter but the piping itself.....but for the most part as most say get a ebay piping and swtch the filter.....but in my opion i like how the injen CAI looks in my engine bay it doesnt look like crappy pipes or finish......yea kinda expensive but at least they took the time to make sure its a perfect fit and looks nice for the car...i dont shop on ebay much to much cheap stuff and rip offs been there done that..pay top dollar for something like injen to would expect it too last longer and performace good also..something goes wrong with ebay its apin to get fixed but hopefuly injen does better
Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly I think HPS is one of the best intakes out there for the price, you can get it on ebay for $189, comes in 3 different finishes and can be convert to SRI. Also haven't heard of any fitment issues with them.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well in your case your comparing a Cold air intake with a short ram which in any case a cold air intake would always be better (in performance). The only reason why people do short ram are for two reasons. 1. for show underneath the hood. and 2. so they don't hydrolock and cancel that possibility of doing so. But even so you won't notice A HUGE AMOUNT of difference from either one. If anything it would be the cold air intake cus your not sucking in hot air from inside the hood. If your living in an area of virtually no rainfall or much you should go with the CAI. But the chances of hydrolocking isn't really that much anyways. Also injen is proven from previous threads to have the upper advantage over all the other ones. just FYI. good luck with your choice man
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im runnin a fujita on my rs5.0 tC and i had NO fitment issues! but get what ever you think is best man.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see thanks but does the difference in the diameter of the tube actually make a difference?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^thats a negative. No matter how you look at it, all of the air being drawn in STILL has to be fed into the throttle body. Companies claim "better flow" over the other, but the truth of the matter is that no matter how big the piping is it still going to be slowed down in one or another when being drawn into the throttle body.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a $88 ebay CAI.
Fitment was just about perfect, came with everything needed, and sounds just like any other intake.
Piping was modeled after Injen, i'd say just buy an Injen filter and ebay intake, and you've got an injen intake.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard the fitment for the MAF was actually pretty good on those Ebay intakes. Was yours?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a better idea. buy one off of someone selling theirs on the classified. Theirs alot. cheap and you know they all work
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Weapon R intake is agood intake.......no real gains hp wise that i have seen,sounds mean as can be........but also have ridden in cars with Injen and Fujita and both of them pulled the same as my car,sounded just as good,but differant sound,WR has a growl to it,where CAIs tend to have a spooling sound almost,hard to describe.

WR downfall is in the summer it gets heatsoak pretty good since it pulls its air from under the hood,add header and sunny day and temps under hood get hot,hot air makes for a lagging car.

Ingen downfall is cost and gettign that down pipe in the fender is a pain,you will cuss a lot gettign it in there and will probably scratch it gettign it in place too....it is fat and tight corner.

both intakes make little hp gains but both look great when you pop the hood over the stock airbox......both will give you lower gas milage......so really it is a matter of what you want the under hood to look like........and how comfortable you are during rainy seasons pulling off the down pipe and making SRI to keep the risk of puddle death at a low.......
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on the injen in the fender lining.. what a PITA
if you're ever considering selling it though think about how well the injen will sell compared to others since most people want the injen
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my best friend has a Injen CAI and i have the Weapon R SR. The piping and filter design of the WR is pretty sweet and sounds meaner and deeper more responsive on low end rpms. The Injen CAI id say gives you more noticeable gains in mid rpms (after driving my friends tc) and sounds not as good IMO.. in the end id still go with the Injen since its cold air.. I got the WR for 93 bucks on ebay so ive been in love since. Also came with a cleaning kit so the filter is reusable.. i imagine they can all do this though?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dry foam filters like the weapon don't need oils or a "recharge kit" to clean it. Just a hose and bucket, rinse it soak, rinse again and let it dry REALLY well..other filters require oils..personally i don't like the whole oil on the filter deal though..just another thing to worry about getting on the MAF
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen uses a dry flow amsoil filter now, so it is a lot better than the WR
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people say CAI's is all the same well i do have to say yes and no..the diameter of the piping is different but at the end it slows down cause it has to go through the throttle body has some mentioned before so that doesnt matter the diameter of the piping....now the filter does matter....all depends on how you want it to look under neather the hood some people go custom..other believe you gfet what you pay for...
talking about the gains of courew you wil get some gains depending on the Brand..ive had themn all and the Injen CAI was the best...well for me as far as throttle response and sound..little expensive...so for those people that say a CAI doesnt do anything obsiously dont know what there talking about cause if that was the case no one would be buying them...
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Injen has always treated me right. I usually choose CAI over short ram anyday.

Quick Reply: Weapon R Vs. Injen