Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPIracing Mid-pipe **FINALLY**

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:46 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

It's not though. I thought Draxas made one too. But by all means I hope they buy away, then sell it after 2 months because you need money--I'll be here.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by Nick06tC
$299?? The full exhaust is $499, so so the axle back part of the ZPI system is only $200? SInce when is a mid pipe more expensive than an axleback with muffler?

Not trying to call anyone on anything, just thought it would be cheaper. Maybe its a good deal and I dont know, Sorry for this...
maybe he made a mistake w/ that price.
I think is like everything else, when you buy it as a package... it will cost less. If you buy it as separate items... it will cost a little more.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics pics pics!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

so this is a midpipe not a spipe? or it is a spipe with a midpipe or its just a spipe??

-taek
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spipe Back...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes 299 is expensive but you have to remember they are in business. they have to make money, they have to get back the money they shelled out on the R&D, they have to get back the money they used to keep enough of these in stock for us, and they have to make a profit. remember when dvd players first came out? remember how expensive they were? why were they so expensive then, and now you can get one for 40 bucks? because they had to make the money back they shelled out for R&D.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm watching and listening like the NSA
Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Souljah347
They are in business
Good man At least some people recognize that.. it cost to be the boss.. gotta pay to play ladies and gents.. its how a business works!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i under stand they have to make money and im more then fine with that but the spipe they are selling doesnt have mutch r&d in it im sure its got no cat or resonator there was no sensor placement to worry about its is just pipe and 2 flanges this thing took me a total of about 1 hour to make my first one and it fit and thats it nothing hard about this portion of the exhaust if any thing the hard part is working in the tunnle they give you under the gas tank but still that isnt hard
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lets make my borla a full cat!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, the mid-pipe is the simplest part of the exhaust system. With its very small bends and only two welds (one for each flange), it doesn't really require any R&D and I feel it's well overpriced. $299 will buy you any header (except MMW's) and headers have MUCH more R&D than mid-pipes. Hell even the S-pipe is much more complicated than the mid-pipe and sells for half. For the price of $199, I'd expect at least a resonator. I'd pay $299 if it had a hi-flow cat and a resonator.

Here's the way I see it:

$150 - base mid-pipe (no cat, no resonator)
$199-$225 - mid-pipe and resonator (no cat)
$299 - deluxe mid-pipe w/ hi-flow cat and resonator
Old 12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

True also..

I am not saying that this price is reasonable or not.. If they put X amount of $'s into this production, they have to flip that money back to break even and be able to make profit. Companies usually over-price their items at first, so that they can do just that. Over time I am sure that the price will drop.

If you dont buy, they are forced to drop prices.. usually. But.. that doesn't do any good for a company that is doing as much as ZPI. Kinda like, you help them to help you kinda thing.

Argue away! I aint buying it anywho!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah what sTu said. Think of it this way, the more money they get the more R&D they can do for future products.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay guys we agree the price is a little high in retro spec to the axle backs on the market. What we have realized is that this is why there are no "mainstream" Cat back systems on the market. Greddy, HKS, etc.... because the mid pipe is so long. They would have to charge you a 1k plus to keep there margains.

We build what we thought the communtiy and the car needed. Not what we can make money on. The Mid pipe is 99.5" long of stainless pipe with 6 mandrel bends in it. We may be able to drop the price a little in the future but this is really where we would like to sell them at. If you get on the internet and price 6 bends you will see that are pricing is not off take in to consideration that we still hand weld all the flanges and hangers after we but the raw material.

We are working on a resonator pipe also. Once we see how fast we can build these we maybe able to lower the price......
Old 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do applaud you guys, you have done much for the Scion community and if it wasn't for the budget restrictions sanctioned by my wife (she doesn't feel putting money in a car is worth while.....whatever), you and Creative Compacts would have all my money. :D

I understand that the price may be high at first and I do see the reasoning since the part is hand-built which is why I have defended MMW for the pricing on their header.

The theory I have for mainstream companies not putting out "complete" exhausts is CARB. Once they start tinkering with the cat, CARB has to get involved or they get the dreaded "for offroad-use only" sticker. Companies like GReddy and HKS like having CARB-compliant products which is probably why both have yet to produce a turbo kit.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

this thread is worthless without pics

=D

-taek
Old 12-22-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by taek
this thread is worthless without pics

=D

-taek
yup
Old 12-22-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

MagnaFlow isn't a "Mainstream" company? They are the only company out there that currently produce a 50 state legal true "Cat-back" Exhaust. True thier exhaust isn't a full 2.5" exhaust system (2.5 > 2.25 > 2.5) but it is cat back (You will have to cut the stock mid pipe about 3 inches behind the cat for install). Did i mention 50 state legal for us guys who like having legal power? And only cost about $450.00.... With you zpi Guys and a full s-pipe back exhaust you are looking at around a grand for all the parts and then not being able to be street legal in all states. But yeah you are right, you are trying to run a business.. just don't forget to include all bits and pieces of information. Scionlife members deserve it.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you count cutting the mid-pipe after the cat then NO Magnaflow is not the only company to do it. Creative Compacts has this design also. And cutting the mid-pipe after the cat and bolting or welding a new mid-pipe section is not going to free up much power. For the sake of the tC a true bolt-on cat-back would be from the s-pipe back and it would not cost a grand.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

True true!

Quick Reply: ZPIracing Mid-pipe **FINALLY**