Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2006 Scion tC TRD turbo issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:20 AM

Default 2006 Scion tC TRD turbo issues??

So I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Scion tC for a very good price with a TRD turbo that the seller says was installed at the factory. After doing some research I am pretty certain the turbo was most likely installed at the dealer as a special edition. The car also has TRD exhaust, different body flares, and different rims from the stock that year. The car runs great and is very fast! The only issue is there seems to be a rattle coming from what sounds like the turbo at idle. The rattle immediately goes away when you give it a little gas, but comes right back at idle. My initial guess is that there is a bad bearing inside, which isn't a big deal. The only problem is I cant seem to find any info on TRD turbos, let alone parts I can buy for them. My question is does anybody here have any info on these turbos, or know of anywhere I could buy a rebuild kit for the turbo? I am going to have a good friend of mine that knows much more about turbos then me check it out again with me, we are most likely going to open it up and see what the real issue is. Just in case though I would like to get some more info on this set up from you guys. Thanks in advance from the noob
Old 08-29-2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by mxwes
So I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Scion tC for a very good price with a TRD turbo that the seller says was installed at the factory. After doing some research I am pretty certain the turbo was most likely installed at the dealer as a special edition. The car also has TRD exhaust, different body flares, and different rims from the stock that year. The car runs great and is very fast! The only issue is there seems to be a rattle coming from what sounds like the turbo at idle. The rattle immediately goes away when you give it a little gas, but comes right back at idle. My initial guess is that there is a bad bearing inside, which isn't a big deal. The only problem is I cant seem to find any info on TRD turbos, let alone parts I can buy for them. My question is does anybody here have any info on these turbos, or know of anywhere I could buy a rebuild kit for the turbo? I am going to have a good friend of mine that knows much more about turbos then me check it out again with me, we are most likely going to open it up and see what the real issue is. Just in case though I would like to get some more info on this set up from you guys. Thanks in advance from the noob
Just found out it's actually the supercharger. Shows how much I know about forced induction. With that discovery, I have found a few rebuild kits but are there any kits that fix the flaws that these superchargers have?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

compressor chatter at idle is normal, but if it doesn't go away at anything higher then there are bearing issues and it shouldn't be very loud or anything either. If your looking at a supercharger and want to build it for high output, you're going to be doing a fare bit of preventative maintenance and maybe even rebuilds.

Superchargers were not installed at the factory, they were all dealership or independently installed.

The supercharger is finicky and rather delicate if it wasn't installed properly, and proper installation was a hard thing to pull off apparently. This plus its cost were part of the reason it was only offered for a short time.
Some important replacement parts you may need are not available either, unless you buy a complete kit, compared to a turbo it isn't as cost effective for high output.

IMO, unless you know the whole history of the car and completely trust where the work was done and who owned it, I would stay far away from someone else's supercharger.

But if you know everything was installed correctly, kept relatively stock and regularly maintained, then it would probably be fine. I have had my supercharger for over 60k miles and I have had no major issues, I've only gone as far as upgrading to the 9.5lb pulley and the compressor shaft though and don't plan on anything more.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
compressor chatter at idle is normal, but if it doesn't go away at anything higher then there are bearing issues and it shouldn't be very loud or anything either. If your looking at a supercharger and want to build it for high output, you're going to be doing a fare bit of preventative maintenance and maybe even rebuilds.

Superchargers were not installed at the factory, they were all dealership or independently installed.

The supercharger is finicky and rather delicate if it wasn't installed properly, and proper installation was a hard thing to pull off apparently. This plus its cost were part of the reason it was only offered for a short time.
Some important replacement parts you may need are not available either, unless you buy a complete kit, compared to a turbo it isn't as cost effective for high output.

IMO, unless you know the whole history of the car and completely trust where the work was done and who owned it, I would stay far away from someone else's supercharger.

But if you know everything was installed correctly, kept relatively stock and regularly maintained, then it would probably be fine. I have had my supercharger for over 60k miles and I have had no major issues, I've only gone as far as upgrading to the 9.5lb pulley and the compressor shaft though and don't plan on anything more.
Thanks for the info, I ended up calling it off! The car had 148,000 miles so I didn't want to risk it knowing that supercharger most likely had been on the entire time. Not to mention they didn't even know it was a supercharger so there were to many red flags