Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2007 Supercharger Noise...... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 PM
SL Member

Default 2007 Supercharger Noise...... HELP!

While driving today I noticed a weird noise. So I pull over and its coming from the blower itself. It is squeeking like crazy and rattleing like crazy. It sounds like while the turbine(blade) whatever the correct term is, is spinning its having issues. Does this make sense?
Here is a link to a movie I made of the noise... http://picasaweb.google.com/djstrive/TRDSCNoise
Anyone have any clue what the #$%@ is happening? Is my blowing going? Is this normal?

I have had the s/c installed for 2 weeks.

Everything engine wise is stock minus a Agency Power Underdrive Crank Pulley!

HELP!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to watch/listen and help me out!!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

thats def not normal. take it back and have them take a look. it sounds like its gonna stall too...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn dude that is definitely not normal. Hopefully they won't say your underdrive pulley caused it.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

sounds like metal grinding on metal...damn.. no/very limited oil? maybe something's out of alignment.. did your dealership install it?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
SL Member

Was installed by a Toyota Dealership... Oil levels are fine..
I know the tech who installed it, he has yet to see the video, but during installation he said there was no way that the pulley I had could cause any problems....
Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well oil in the engine may be fine but the nozzle that shoots the oil into the gears of the supercharger may not be ;)

i'm not blaming the pulley as i've read many threads on here regarding supercharger installs with after market pulleys.. just that the alignment might be off

i'd definitely take it in ASAP, if that grinding is coming from the turbine, it could be throwing metal shards into your intake. Contact Garage1217 on here about it, he's torn apart the supercharger before(at least the 05-6 variety) serviced it, and did a hell of a write-up about it here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...charger+repair
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by L337Biker
Well oil in the engine may be fine but the nozzle that shoots the oil into the gears of the supercharger may not be ;)

i'm not blaming the pulley as i've read many threads on here regarding supercharger installs with after market pulleys.. just that the alignment might be off

i'd definitely take it in ASAP, if that grinding is coming from the turbine, it could be throwing metal shards into your intake. Contact Garage1217 on here about it, he's torn apart the supercharger before(at least the 05-6 variety) serviced it, and did a hell of a write-up about it here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...charger+repair
She will be going back saturday...

This should ALL be warranty work correct?!

Thanks for the quick responces all!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It should be covered under warranty.. unless they somehow find a way to point at your pulley and say that it was the cause of the problem. I don't see a pulley being an issue, but i'm not any sort of certified technician lol.

My girlfriend had a lowering kit and a few other things installed on her tC at a local, reputable shop. When she was turning into work on Tuesday her steering wheel locked up and was sent up a curb. Damaging her brand new wheel/tire, and front lip. The dealership determined that the cause of the steering wheel locking up was an alignment pin that was moved out of place during installation of the springs, which then got stuck against the a-arm, which caused the steering to lock up.

When it comes to warranty work, often dealerships will find any little excuse to get out of it and make some money in the process.. so I hope they don't try and point the blame at that pulley.. especially because of the tech saying it wouldn't be an issue.. That puts him on the line if they somehow end up coming to the conclusion that it had something to do with the operation of the supercharger, you should be able to use that against them. Guess we'll know saturday..
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow. I would make toyota pay to have someone tow it. I would deff. not drive that to the dealership. more issues could arise.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 AM
SL Member

I am going to switch out and put the OEM pulley on before I go... Think I should?
The dealership is about 1hr 45min from my house as well.
I know the Service advisor there as well. Thats why I drove so far up to have it done. I am really worried now that they are going to find some way to fault me... I really do not know what to do at this point

Thanks again for taking time to reply and all. This has been very helpful!
I should not drive her any more should I?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
SL Member

My supercharger was making that exact noise about a month or so ago. I took it in and got it repaired, brand new super charger had to be installed and they said some sort of bracket needed to be replaced... Now my car is in the shop again, making the same noise, getting s/c #3 put in. This is also ~500 mi after the 2nd one. was installed They still have no told me what the cause of the problem is and/or was. They just replace the s/c under warranty.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

its 100% not from the pulley - ide take it in and have them give you a car to take home. Nomatter what TRD is going to ask for pictures of the car and its going to take a few days minimum.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
its 100% not from the pulley - ide take it in and have them give you a car to take home. Nomatter what TRD is going to ask for pictures of the car and its going to take a few days minimum.
Didn't say it was at blame, just said that the dealer may try some crap..

and if I knew your dealer was almost 2 hours away, then I would have insisted on you having them tow it. If they have a problem with doing that, call Scion, and it'll get taken care of. I'd say try to drive it as little a possible until then.

Back in 04 about 2 months after I purchased my tC I had my first(and only) accident. They had to order parts, which ended up taking 2 months to arrive. By that time I had a 2500 dollar rental car bill, 1000 of which covered by insurance, and I was left to pay the other 1500. If I would have called Scion in the first place, they would have given me a rental free of charge. But because I didn't, they offered to cover 1000 dollars of my rental. I've heard other stories of those who have decided to deal directly with Scion corporate and I've heard nothing negative about them.

At least you're not the only one to have this issue with the SC for the 07s, so I'm sure Scion knows about it and is looking into it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 AM
SL Member

Thanks! I am worried about work tomorrow. I do not have a second car to drive and I have to drive daily for my job.. What to do what to do...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned
SL Member

Definitly get it fixed ASAP
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 AM
SL Member

I will be going up to the dealership saturday. I am just worried about driving that distance.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I WOULD NOT DRIVE THAT. TOW YOUR CAR IN! Toyota warranty WILL refund whatever you had to pay to have your car towed in. You will be responsible for the payment, they will refund you the money.

Your s/c is not aligned properly it sounds like. I would also remove the agency pulley *if* i were you.

If you keep driving your car you can, and probally will shorten the life of either your motor, or the s/c or both. seriously. Think about it. take a cab or catch a ride to work. Dont drive this thing around.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
I WOULD NOT DRIVE THAT. TOW YOUR CAR IN! Toyota warranty WILL refund whatever you had to pay to have your car towed in. You will be responsible for the payment, they will refund you the money.

Your s/c is not aligned properly it sounds like. I would also remove the agency pulley *if* i were you.

If you keep driving your car you can, and probally will shorten the life of either your motor, or the s/c or both. seriously. Think about it. take a cab or catch a ride to work. Dont drive this thing around.
Thank you I will be driving my wifes car to work, she is going to call out sick...hah lazy... anyway... I am going to remove the pulley before it goes in. Judging from the replies thus far it doesn't seem as if the pulley is the cause, however; I want to remove it so it doesn't get blamed for being the problem.
Do I need to call Toyota tomorrow and tell them whats up? Or pay out of pocket and hope/pray for refund.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would remove it for that exact reason, dont let them blame something on you that is not the problem. You will have to pay out of pocket first for the tow, and then they should refund you. They MAY be able to set up the tow, and pay for it all at once, so I would call them ASAP tomorrow, and tell them this should really be towed so they dont have to buy either a $4k supercharger or a $6.5k shortblock.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
I would remove it for that exact reason, dont let them blame something on you that is not the problem. You will have to pay out of pocket first for the tow, and then they should refund you. They MAY be able to set up the tow, and pay for it all at once, so I would call them ASAP tomorrow, and tell them this should really be towed so they dont have to buy either a $4k supercharger or a $6.5k shortblock.
Do I call Toyota HQ? or the dealership I got the work done or scion?

Quick Reply: 2007 Supercharger Noise...... HELP!